March 23rd, 2010

Obama signs health care bill into law

ALT TEXT

Obama signed the health reform bill into law Tuesday. (Getty Images).

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama, greeted by applause from enthusiastic backers of his health care reform legislation, said, "Today after almost a century of trying, today after over a year of debate, today after all the votes have been tallied, health insurance reform becomes law in the United States of America."

Watch the remarks after the jump

Filed under: Health care
  1. lolo

For those of you thinking this is a waste of time you really are on another planet. You lost your jobs because of what has been going on for the last 8 years. Bush and his cronies sold you out. Shipping your jobs overseas for a profit. They broke all the rules. Now you want to blame it on the Obama administration. Vote out Boehner, McCain, McConnell, and Cantor. They were the ones misleading you then and now. Remember they want to keep their pockets lined with kickbacks from the healthcare industries and big business. You Tea partiers and the rest of the naysayers need to wake up. The healthcare reform is good for America. It is a shame that you always bringing up about how Christian you are and steady doing the devils work.

March 23, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  2. Republicans are Repugnant Taliban

I agree it is so wonderful having a President WITH a BRAIN for a change, way to go Obama!

March 23, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  3. Futon Torpedo

Finally President Obama – 1, Rush & Haters – 0

Love it!

March 23, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. Dave

Congratulations to the American people! Take THAT "Party of No"!!! I guess it's back to trying to prove global warming is a falsehood. Good luck with that. Looking forward to mowing you all down in 2012!

March 23, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Thank you for this bill.

I think once the american people see exactly what is in this bill they will like it. There are so many LIES out there. And now it is nice to know that the Republicans according to what McCain said will do nothing the rest of the year . Well we paid them for eight years and they did nothing. There thinking is that they will hold out use this bill and regain seats in the congress and senate. If, I have anything to do with this they WILL NOT GAIN SEATS!!!!! I lost my job of 35 years under there watch. I am tired of the Limbaughs, the Hannity's and of course Glenn Beck tearing this President down. There were alot of things that I didn't like about President Bush but I respected him because he was our President. There is still alot of work for this country and I feel positive that this President will get it done.

March 23, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  6. thersa

Finally, something right.

March 23, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  7. John Galt

The looters are at it again.

March 23, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. Sniffit

sorry america.................

i did not vote for any of these crooks

March 23, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. Scottyrw

Wow, what difference in Presidents! Mr. Obama gets health care reform pasted, turns the run away economy around, pulls out of Iraq. Mr. Bush lets the biggest terrorist attack on US soil happen, starts an unnessary war in Iraq, takes more vacations than another President in history, and has trouble reading "My Pet Goat", and distroys the USA economy in eight short years!

March 23, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  10. Mike

Interesting - now he's finally admitting it was a health INSURANCE reform bill, not a health CARE reform bill. This does nothing to make anyone healthier, just makes everyone broke (except insurance billing administrators - at least there will be a lot of jobs created pushing paper and raiding our paychecks).
    I've never contributed to Republican campaigns before, but fully intend to in the future...

March 23, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. Zav

Obama is killing me and my family. We cannot afford to pay more taxes. I cannot afford to pay more for medicare. I cannot afford to pay fine because I cannot afford to pay the Obamacare bill. Good bye to all of you and the good life that we all have had. We will either go to jail or die from today date. GOD is my witness. Obama has kiled us all. God Bless America!

March 23, 2010 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  12. ATL Guy

Joe Kiloz says we have 17% unemployment. If he weren't so ignorant he would realize the unemployment makes the need for healthcare reform more pressing. Unemployed people can't get healthcare as employed folks do and often end up in the emergency room. When people go to the emergency room and skip out on paying the bill we all pay for it. We had to do something because the Republican status quo will bankrupt the country.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Audrey in Georgia

Thank you President Obama!
    CNN in Atlanta just had a Dr. Hill on opposing HCR. If anyone says
    boo to that man, I think he is going to snap. No wonder David Scott
    shut him up in a town hall meeting. He's a nut ready to go off!
    He offered nothing but loser talking points, you know, everyone
    going off the cliff, no money for this, no money for that, we need reform,
    but we can not do it now or later. More losers talking loud and saying
    nothing.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. Connie

Thank you Mr President. I have been waiting on this for a long time. Let the complainers complain, I'm happy and so are alot of Americans. Once again, Thank You!

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  15. Rethuglicans

That's an amazing picture.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU MR. PRESIDENT, NANCY PELOSI AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY FOR FINALLY STANDING UP TO ALL THE BS REPUBS HAVE PUT ON THIS COUNTRY FOR THE PAST 50 YEARS! When people start to read this bill and see what's in it for them, they'll stop with all this ignorance they're spewing out against this bill! thank you for making my vote count!!! this is what i voted for!!!

GOD BLESS YOU MR. PRESIDENT AND OUR COUNTRY!!!

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. L Morrison

Was the democrates that voted No in the room at the signing, Lincoln Davis is my district rep. and he voted no ,can't wait to get him out, I think the replublicans and all the hatemongers will have to answer at the end of time , a lot of people call themselves christains are certainly not acting too christainly, but more like hateful demons.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. Nat, NYC

Sad day in American History. Who is going to pay for everything he has mansion in the speech with that big smile? We are , middle class people. Who is going to enjoy it? Legal and illegal freeloaders. Thank you, Mr. Screw you All.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  19. andrew

Well done.

Whether you like it or not, the Democrats have proven they can lead.

Well done Obama and well done Pelosi.

Change is always hard, but I believe this change is for the better.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  20. Save 'em in the womb, so a "christian" holy war can send 'em to the tomb

Since the Reds have proven they have no problem conning Americans out of 74 million tax payer dollars over a bj, you republiKKKan state Governors feel free to further waste the taxpayer money by fighting HCR as "unconstitutional"

Section 8 – Powers of Congress

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and GENERAL WELFARE of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises SHALL BE UNIFORM throughout the United States";

The supremacy of Federal laws over state laws.

"To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and AMONG the SEVERAL STATES, and with the Indian Tribes";

The Commerce clause.

"To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof"

And for those that state redneck bubba sitting in his Bacalounger in the trailer, is NOT engaged in Commerce, you are correct. But when bubba passes out from too much backyard 'shine and is taken to the doctor's office for alcohol poisoning and the good doctor slips on those blue gloves, since it is Thursday and bubba only bathes on Saturday, unless those gloves are also made in the state, GUESS WHAT they are covered by interstate Commerce. Those Barney band-aids same thing, that blood pressure cuff he uses, GUESS WHAT covered and involved in providing of health care.

And since the new bill is under the IRS and tax credits and penalties are administered by the IRS, you might want to review the Constitution for what is says about not being able to "mandate" Federal Taxes.

And I am not even a lawyer, not too mention, a Constitutional lawyer.

Of course, my brain is not so clouded by racist hatred over a black President in the White House, that I still can comprehend what I read.

March 23, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. Hillbillicus

Socialism begins... Mark this day on your calender.

March 23, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. Carl Beathea

How can they say the Health Care Reform Bill is unconstitutional. When Car Insurance and Seat Belts are mandated by Law and enforced with penealties and fines and in some states denial of Driver's License. So to try to stop Health Care is Un-American.

March 23, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. mark

if this is socialism–I'd like some more of it!

Healthcare = socialism?

What are you - Republican? Why don't you read a book, learn something and have a real opinion. Or did you also fail out of our (socialist) public schools, or did you drive to work in our (socialist) public roads, or did you forget to cash your (socialist) social security check?

Go USA

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  24. njfinest2009

thank you mr. president, I hope that now I can keep the coverage I have and be greatful, the cost is killing me along with the rest of my co-workers who have thought about giving it up completely.. Keep up the good work. I thank you for keeping your promise. NOW... Please do something about the housing joke. I emailed u about it last week.. Housing reform needs to be looked at again. Loads of people are being taken advantage of in the name of Mortgage reform. Please look in to it AGAIN!!!

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. RUSSIA RUSSIA

To munchmom: I thought I was the only one that saw it that way. Gee, if I take a breath after writing this it will either be taxed or I will have to ask the government for permission.

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |