March 23rd, 2010

Obama signs health care bill into law

ALT TEXT

Obama signed the health reform bill into law Tuesday. (Getty Images).

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama, greeted by applause from enthusiastic backers of his health care reform legislation, said, "Today after almost a century of trying, today after over a year of debate, today after all the votes have been tallied, health insurance reform becomes law in the United States of America."

Watch the remarks after the jump

Filed under: Health care
  1. FIREDUP

FIRED UP READY TO GO!!!

Don't you just love those union chants!

Why does no one asks Obama about SEIU and Andy Stern or question his influence...LABOR UNIIONS......They have killed the American industry, now they want to destroy the country!

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. A Guy

boy, you right-wingers sure are a nasty bunch....how about, just for a change, we elevate the discussion slightly above gutter level?

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  3. Obama Victim

Congrats Dems...you own this thing. If it works, good for you and the country. If it does not, it will be in the end of the Democrat party. So I have to ask you..."Do you feel lucky?? Well, do ya punks?"

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Billie J

Way to go Mr. President. I have been sick for 3 years now without a diagnosis and often wondering what would happen if what I have is chronic with regards to my insurance. Now I no longer have to worry about that. Thank-you, Thank-you, Thank-you!! I WILL be voting you back next election as long as you keep up the good work. And to all of you who oppose, there are always OTHER countries waiting for you. However, GOOD LUCK getting Medicare/Medicaid, and health insurance through them. In fact, good luck getting anything through them!

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. Pam from Iowa

Good work!!

(about time!!)

(I see the Republicans are all up in arms – they don't like the fact that the only Americans who will see a tax increase from this bill are the wealthy ones!)

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. Steve G

All great societies are judged by how they treat their poor, sick, and elderly. This legislation moves us away from years of neglect and provides a basic right to the most needy Americans. The distortions are now in the past and 32 million American have access to basic medical coverage.

Thank you President Obama for your leadership!!

March 23, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. Lori

The Republicans should have participated in the passing of this bill if not on all the issues in the bill at least on one issue alone.......that is that the people with pre conditions should have the right to buy Health Care Insurance......to denign them Health Care is against all Morale rights.......If these Republicans had a child that had pre existing conditions and couldn't be covered then they would see the hardships that these people are facing......by the Republicans refuseal to vote on this bills shows this country they have NO CONSCIENCE and NO SOUL........It isn't a SAD DAY because this Health Care Bill was signed today........it's a SAD DAY because it shows America that all the people of this country that doesn't have Health Care didn't even get ONE VOTE from the GOP ........ and to listen to Limbaugh calling all the people who voted for it as BASTARDS.......to hear Mc Cain say that the GOP will not work with this admistration the rest of the year......tells me that I don't want anymore Republicans in office......

March 23, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

In 2000, as a lifelong republican, I once again voted party lines and cast my vote for George W. Bush. In less than a year, Mr. Bush thumbed his nose at me, abusing my vote as he sat back and willingly allowed the GOP to rape the greatest country in the world.

In 2008, I placed my trust with Mr. Obama.

Not only did President Obama accept my vote and the trust in him I placed with that vote, he has absolutely exceeded my expectations.

Today is a good day in America. A very good day, indeed.

March 23, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  9. Glennis

Well, there's a picture of some of the most unethical, corrupt, self-serving individuals ever to disgrace their offices. They have royally screwed the American public.

March 23, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. Abe

This is not a political triumph but a triumph for the American people. Yes the credit goes to the president/ democrats but hats out for all the average citizens that were pushing for the passage of the health program. This is not a political right but a constitutional right that everyone deserve a healthy existence. I am amazed that people are against the governments involvement but are forgetting we voted to put them in place and how do they expect the government will not be involved in out daily lives. Yes, we do not need to much government involvement but we are forgetting we need a government to run our country. What happened to the American humanity the need to help the needy and enjoy a healthy nation with healthy population that is productive. The president is the not the only one who started this struggle. It started a century ago by people who were democrats as well as republicans. What the president, congress and the people of this country have done is be successful in passing a health care reform. A day for those who are not with us and who have spent most of there lives fighting the hope and the vision has been fulfilled. It is a great day for our country. God Bless our country

March 23, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. john

I stand in awe of our leaders as they funnel almost a trillion dollars into what will be the latest mechanism to payoff voting blocks. Free health care to all who cant or wont work. Free haelth care for all who come into this country illegally. I see a lot of happy insurance lobbyist reps in that picture above. They should be ashamed of pushing this as a bill to help all americans. The only ones they helped were themselves.

March 23, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. Boopme

Ms. O'Kelly, that's just not true information. Either you or your mother have misunderstood someone in Medicare. That is just not true. I don't know your circumstances but my mother's medicare costs will not go up and her prescription cost will lower. Check your facts before you post.

March 23, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  13. Washington DC Insider

I find it mildly ironic he has to go and "sell" this to the American People now. Why? If this is such a great bill, why is over 60% of the American People not convinced?

This is going to be interesting. I mean I understand the premise, you feel that something is right, and then you pass it...and then you have to convince everyone that what you did was right. But that seems a bit backwards.

I fear that the Democrats are going to see a reduction in the House come this November...

March 23, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. Anthony

Thank you Mr President. This is a new era in america and it will never be repealed or it will be seen as a tax increase or taking away of health care. This is a moderate bill, and one republicans ran on for years. It is still a market based system . The republicants have nothing to offer.

March 23, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. The Other Michael in Houston

To: Patricia O'kelley: If your mother makes $501.00 per month and that is her only income, why not sign her up for QMB, SLMB, or QI-1 programs through your state medicaid. Personally, I think you are lying because Medicare part B Premium is $98.00 per month.

To Joe Kiloz: The National unemployment rate is 9.7%, nice to see you Republican Jihadist still attempt to make up rumors.

Congrats Mr. President. I am happy to see that something is being done about our out of control Health System. Now we have a foundation to build on, let us keep building. Funny to hear all you use the catch phrase "Socialism", most of you would not be able to give the text book meaning of "Socialism". All of you McCarthy Republican Jihadist hate America and your party is being phazed out of American politics and you are just mad because you cannot prevent the inevitable. We made a big step in 2008 in getting rid of the evil empire and we will finish you off in 2010 and 2012. Say bye by to the Republican Jihadist Establishment

March 23, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  16. coy4one

This will prove to be one of the top achievements of the U.S. in over a century! Today is a win for all those who don't have insurance, and those whose families are affected with life threatening illnesses. As of today, the health of America is getting better!

March 23, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Eric

Joe kiloz

What is the government supposed to do about unemployment?? Aren't free market types against government intervention? Shouldn't that be left to the invisible hand of the free market?

The questions should be more along the lines of- Our economy nearly collapsed at the hands of Wall Street, the result caused massive government deficits due to reduced tax revenues, higher unemployment benefits and Trillion dollar bailouts. And yet, the casino game on Wall Street continues. Very few lost their jobs, most are making more money now and we're at greater risk. Why haven't we addressed the single greatest threat to our economy and society???

March 23, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Lori

Thank you, Mr. President for the healthcare bill. And thank you for the jobs bill. Keep your head up and continue your wonderful work for this country. I pray each night for your safety and the continued good work of your administration.

Obama/Biden 2012

March 23, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  19. Maggie in Canada

and, now, when is Limbaugh's flight leaving for some other country?

March 23, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  20. john

I want to know exactly how spending a trillion dallars helped our deficit? Keep saying it often enough and everyone will believe you no matter how stupid it sounds. I guess we CAN spend our way to fiscal solvency!! Smoke and mirrors!!

March 23, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. T'SAH from Virginia

I'm so EXCITED!!
    And I just can't HIDE IT!!
    I'm about to lose control and I think I LIKE IT!!

Thank you President Obama – We showed them!!!

@Think Again – I truly enjoy all of your blogs and you speak the TRUTH – always – with sensibility and reason!! I never saw anyone argue with you... Thanks for being POSITIVE and backing up your blogs with research and TRUTH!!!

March 23, 2010 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. Peter

I wonder how many of those who are against health care reform who are on "Social" Security will start refusing their checks? The Democrats had to push that one through too.

Good job President Obama!!!

March 23, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  23. Phil

Republicans hate Barack Obama because he is black and that's why they want him to fail and will not work with him to make America better for American people. They want more money for the rich people and keep the poor powerless. That is their idea of a great America. Let me tell you, it's not socialist to care about other people. It's called being human. We are a social people and society is only as good as the least of us. Jesus Christ would care about the poor and sick, so why don't these Republican religious right-wing zealots follow his teachings instead of finding ways to halt the President's efforts? How come more people are not calling out the stupid Republican racists on their stupid remarks and ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

March 23, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. seattle voter

As a voter and a tax payer and a small business owner, it's about time to give all Americans responsible for their own needs. People who are on Medicaid need to think twice because they don't have to pay a penny! Most of them are able bodies and they can work. I've seen people with disabilities work at Safeway, Costco and other places and I really appreciate them because they don't rely on the Government to SUPPORT THEM. STATES THAT ARE SUING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE ASHAME OF THEMSELVES.

March 23, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Laverne

I am proud of our President for being courageous enough to even attempt to tackle the really hard things that face our country. There is no way he will make everybody happy, but we have a President who is doing the right thing for the "average" American. This legislation may not mean a lot to some, but it means a hell of a lot to others. The republicans are whining, complaining and threatning, but when they had the opportunity for 8 years to do something to help the American people when it comes to healthcare, they chose to start wars and give the wealthy 2 huge tax cuts they did not even ask for. President Obama have put action to his words! Why are pro-life people not concerned about people life and health once they are born? Such a double standard of belief, you can't have it both ways, you are either for life and health or you are not.

March 23, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |