March 23rd, 2010

Massachusetts Senator takes aim at cable host

Sen. Scott Brown took a shot at MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.
Sen. Scott Brown took a shot at MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.

Washington (CNN) - Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown's political shop released a fundraising e-mail Tuesday that names a surprising potential rival for his seat in 2012: MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow.

The Republican wrote to supporters, telling them, "[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, the political machine in Massachusetts is looking for someone to run against me. And you're not going to believe who they are supposedly trying to recruit - liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow."

Brown cites an obscure Boston-area blog post from March 5 as the source of the Maddow rumors.

Maddow has not indicated publicly that she intends to seek office, but that didn't stop the Senator from taking a pre-emptive shot at Maddow and raising some cash in the process.

"I'm sure she's a nice person - I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," Brown wrote.

Brown won his seat in a January special election to fill the Senate seat formerly held by Democrat Ted Kennedy, but he'll have to face the voters again in 2012 if he wants a full term.

Filed under: 2012 • Scott Brown
  1. phoenix86

Rachel Maddow? I thought Massachusetts was tired of liberal idiots.

March 23, 2010 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  2. Haas

If she does run, I'll donate to her campain. I like Rachel. She's smart and knows a lot more than this guy.

March 23, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  3. seanm

Speaking as a voter from MA, Brown should chill out the extreme rhetoric. Sort of belies his supposed "independence". The dude was a clown when he was posing nude in magazines, and is still a clown.

March 23, 2010 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  4. harold

Do youy have Health Insurance.... Mr. Brown?

March 23, 2010 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. haren

Massachusette, make this guy one term congressman.
    He voted no on the same bill which all massachusett resident enjoys.

March 23, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. haren

Rachel Maddow is far smart than this center page guy.

March 23, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Dawn Ada, Oh

Honey.......pack the bags. We're movin to Mass. So I can help get Rachel Maddow Elected!!! Wow that is fantastic!! Go Rachel Go.

March 23, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  8. TA

He is a RINO after all....I'll be happy with a RINO who irritates his party every once in a while. But I still think Massachusetts can do a lot better than filling Ted Kennedy's seat with a somebody Democrats can't warm up to and Republicans not too proud of.

March 23, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. double standard

You should be afraid Mr.Brown...We are going to wipe you out along with others in the GOP !!

March 23, 2010 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  10. Minnesotan

I prefer people who acknowledge facts, reality and history, like Maddow, as opposed to people who avoid facts, reality and history, like Republicans.

March 23, 2010 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  11. TM

Senator, try DOING YOUR JOB for a few years before running for re-election, or your mouth. Do your job, and you won't have to worry.

March 23, 2010 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  12. lovable liberal

I would help Rachel Maddow. She is so measured and interested in the truth.

March 23, 2010 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  13. Big John

She's a brilliant woman and if she did decide to run I'm sure she would do an excellent job.

March 23, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |