March 23rd, 2010

Massachusetts Senator takes aim at cable host

Sen. Scott Brown took a shot at MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.
Sen. Scott Brown took a shot at MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.

Washington (CNN) - Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown's political shop released a fundraising e-mail Tuesday that names a surprising potential rival for his seat in 2012: MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow.

The Republican wrote to supporters, telling them, "[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, the political machine in Massachusetts is looking for someone to run against me. And you're not going to believe who they are supposedly trying to recruit - liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow."

Brown cites an obscure Boston-area blog post from March 5 as the source of the Maddow rumors.

Maddow has not indicated publicly that she intends to seek office, but that didn't stop the Senator from taking a pre-emptive shot at Maddow and raising some cash in the process.

"I'm sure she's a nice person - I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," Brown wrote.

Brown won his seat in a January special election to fill the Senate seat formerly held by Democrat Ted Kennedy, but he'll have to face the voters again in 2012 if he wants a full term.

Filed under: 2012 • Scott Brown
  1. johnrj08

I'd love to see Brown, the Village Idiot of Massachusetts, debate Maddow, a Rhodes Scholar and PH.d in political science. In the end, there is no substitute for brains.

March 23, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Mickey

Scott Brown is a one-term wonderboy...

March 23, 2010 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Terry OBrien

Will the GOP ever get the message. THEY LOST....stocks in insurance companies, pharmaceuticals, hospitals all shot up today. Health Reform will pay for itself. God Bless America, it is about time that my uninsured children and grandchildren will have health coverage.

March 23, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. IVOTE

Don't sell your house in Massachusetts yet. Rachel Maddow will give you quite a run for your temp senate seat if she so chooses. SHE IS NO HACK OR SLOUCH. Go RACHEL!!!

March 23, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. A Kickin' Donkey

Brown – male centerfold model – meet Maddow- brilliant Rhodes scholar.

She can outthink Brown. He'd be wise not to antagonize her.

March 23, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. Kimberly from Houston, Texas

Scott Brown you are so lame!

March 23, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. Deb

I doubt very much that Dr. Maddow wants his job. I believe she has said on her show that she does not want to run for office.

March 23, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. AmFem

MSNBC's loss, as well as all progressive Americans, would be Massachusetts' gain if Dr. Rachel Maddow were to become their state senator. A Rhodes Scholar, PHD, with great personality.... Oh, yeah. She is brilliant enough to give our super intelligent and charismatic President a run for his money. The two of them together would be a progressive's dream.

March 23, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  9. Save 'em in the womb, so a "christian" war can send 'em to the tomb

Rachel stay right where you are on MSNBC.

You will help millions of Americans as you keep nailing the cons in their lies.

In the Senate, you only will be helping MA.

March 23, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. al in memphis

What did they say the number one job in DC is– keeping your job and fundraising. When will they learn that working people keeping working because they let their results do most of the talking.

March 23, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  11. Tina, NC

LOL Brown better hope not because I can assure you Rachel Maddow is no Martha Cokley. She would wipe the floor with him because she actually researches what she's talking about and states her sources and facts.

March 23, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  12. notfooledtx

Believe me, Ms. Maddow would be a substantial step up if she chooses to run.

March 23, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  13. Victim of GOP Taliban

Wow that would be an interesting race. I think it is just a rumor though. Liberal policies? Maddow is mainstream and consistent with her views. Brown is a tool that just says whatever it takes to get elected.

March 23, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  14. Buckaroo

Lets get real about liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow. I am a member of the self-reliant middle class and every day I have to pay with after-tax income all my health care bills including high deductable health insurance. Meanwhile government, union, corporations, and 501(c) employees are receiving supplimental TAX EXCLUSION HEALTH BENEFITS in the amount of 250 Billion Dollars annually (Wash Post). I am not here to pay for anyone's lifestyle. The good book tells me to help a brother or sister in need, not to support them for the rest of their lives in a manner they deem to be necessary with TAX EXCLUSION BENEFITS not attainable for the self-reliant under law. Make it equitable or get another polemic about whose obligation it is to help who with what. 54,846 pages of tax code only helps those who take advantage or construe such pleonasm not those who work and save for contingencies.

March 23, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  15. ran

Brown will not get reelected.

March 23, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  16. jules sand-perkins

One day, Sen. Brown will be our President.

March 23, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Go Rachel!

I *wish* she would run - Rachel is whip-smart and funny as hell. She would be fantastic, 50 times better than Mr. Centerfold. I'd move to Massachusetts to work for her.

March 23, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. Joanna in PA

I am sure she would not want the job. But she is clearly more qualified then Scott and most of the other elected leaders. She is a Rhodes scholar holding a doctorate in policy from Oxford>Rachel is wicked intelligent and fair to her guests.

March 23, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. j

Rachel Maddow would be an excellent Senator. She's very smart. And Massachusetts would be well served by her. But then almost any Democrat would be better than Brown.

March 23, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. cjg

Some in Mass are already having 2nd thoughts about the likeable Brown and what it really means for them. So he might not be the shew in some had previously thought....Maddow would be a great opponent , she is one smart cookie and very liberal , like the Kennedys.

March 23, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. Dylan from MN

I love Rachel Maddow, I would love to see her run for higher office, she's smart as a whip and liberalism is what this country needs right now.

March 23, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. wlou437

Did he expect to run unopposed in 2012?
    Whether it is Maddow or someone else, I am sure the Democrats will have a candidate and they probably will begin campaigning early to take advantage of whatever Brown does (or doesn't do) in the Senate.
    If I were Maddow I wouldn't give up my day job. On MSNBC she is free tto say whatever she wishes.
    !

March 23, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

Scot Brown, one and done.

March 23, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  24. jojomcgee

From this day forward MSPMS will have to give Brown equal time if it doesn't boot Maddow.

March 23, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  25. Save America, impeach the treasonous republicans

It is going to take more than nude photos of Brown to get him re-elected in 2012.

March 23, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |