March 23rd, 2010

Massachusetts Senator takes aim at cable host

Sen. Scott Brown took a shot at MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.
Sen. Scott Brown took a shot at MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.

Washington (CNN) - Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown's political shop released a fundraising e-mail Tuesday that names a surprising potential rival for his seat in 2012: MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow.

The Republican wrote to supporters, telling them, "[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, the political machine in Massachusetts is looking for someone to run against me. And you're not going to believe who they are supposedly trying to recruit - liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow."

Brown cites an obscure Boston-area blog post from March 5 as the source of the Maddow rumors.

Maddow has not indicated publicly that she intends to seek office, but that didn't stop the Senator from taking a pre-emptive shot at Maddow and raising some cash in the process.

"I'm sure she's a nice person - I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," Brown wrote.

Brown won his seat in a January special election to fill the Senate seat formerly held by Democrat Ted Kennedy, but he'll have to face the voters again in 2012 if he wants a full term.

Filed under: 2012 • Scott Brown
  1. Mainer

Mr. Brown, not only is she a nice and decent person (unlike too many of your party), but she also has more political intelligence in her little finger than you have in your Cosmo body.

But we need her on MSNBC cable to enlighten the sheeple.

March 23, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. AndyBlue

LOL!!! Rachel Maddow would be a great politician.

Republicans have reduced themselves to the losers of the decade.

I will never vote for a Republican again in my life.

March 23, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  3. hobart

Let's see, how have the markets reacted since the House passed Health Care Reform? Why the DJI has gone up nearly 200 points. If we can't afford liberal policies, why haven't the markets crashed already?

If Republicans were really convinced that Health Care will be such a failure that they'd take over Washington during the midterm elections, they'd let it go and reap their rewards. That they're willing to risk another Civil War (literally!!!) to prevent its passing shows that they're lying about this too, and they know it.

Why do Republicans hate America?

March 23, 2010 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  4. Allen Hussein

Three words:

RUN RACHEL RUN !

March 23, 2010 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  5. Ellie

I'm sorry, but shouldn't "pretty boy" Brown be focused on doing some REAL work in DC. What has this pin-up poster face done? NADA....ZIP.

March 23, 2010 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  6. Angi's mom

Scott Brown is a fast learner... If you start rumors that cause fear and hatred, the cash comes in faster. Scott joins Palin, Steele and McCain this week, all asking for money to save the country from liberals and now lesbians. I can't wait to watch Rachel Maddow tonight. She's probably is having a good laugh.

March 23, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  7. MsDp

This jerk is merely looking for attention and he'll do anything to get it; even posing nude in a magazine. What a bunch of crap! Rachel, please invite him on your show, that's all he wants.

March 23, 2010 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  8. Robert

"I'm sure she's a nice person – I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," Brown wrote.

LOL.. She doesn't have policies. Methinks the former nude model is paranoid..

And anyway, even if she did decide to win and formed liberal policies to run on, the people he represents did just fine under Edward Kennedy, so his assertion that America can't afford a liberal isn't likely to sell there....

I'd be thrilled if she did. She is the best newscaster on the air today..

March 23, 2010 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Jackalope

The dude is a fashion model, he doesn't have to be smart. He just has to drive around in his shiny $60,000 luxury pickup truck.

March 23, 2010 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  10. No Incumbents 2010

Maddow? In your dreams, Scott. Or is this a fundraising gimmick?
    Rachel can't afford the pay cut. She has far more influence at MSNBC. Massachusetts doesn't want to have a smart Senator, they want a former male nude model who opposes health care reform.

March 23, 2010 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  11. normajean

Wow, Now this is going to be fun. I can't wait to hear Rachels reply to this new political shot. You are talking about one of the few women on the air who really has her head together and ,strong and sure of who she is and nobody is going to push her. Give up guys. If there's anything to this she'll let you know, if there isn't, she'll REALLY let you know.

March 23, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  12. Robert

Why don't you try doing some work instead of parading around.

March 23, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  13. leggs67

I hope she runs. She's the smartest person in almost any room she's in.

March 23, 2010 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  14. Kevin in Ohio

Maddow? She is a loon.

March 23, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. LIb

And we can't afford yours nor your immorality.

March 23, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  16. hongli

I've said it already and I'll say it again---- Scott Brown is a clown.

March 23, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  17. CMG

Rachel has far more to offer that position than "pretty boy."

March 23, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  18. Romney's Malt Shoppe Mentality

Pretty strong words from a former centerfold pretty boy.

March 23, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  19. Julie Thomas

Save your breath Mr. Brown; you are the one starting out on the defensive. If Rachel runs, most of us in Mass will surely vote for her, and you can go back to being a pin up boy. That is what you are, a "boy toy" for the republicans. Remember, you did not win by that much of a margin, and like humpty dumpty you can crack. You simply show your insecurities by already being an agressor, and that is something that Mass will simply not put up with. Get your goldern parachute retirement packet and life long health insurance while you can.

March 23, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. Debby

OMG she is just an awful. Its as bad if Matthews ran. LOL

March 23, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. Mark

America can't afford her policies, but I'm sure Scott thinks it can afford another unfunded tax cut for the rich!

March 23, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. carlos

"[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, says bare brown......well, get to work, we are paying you and giving you health care not to write the lousy repulsive books coming from the brainless repugnants

March 23, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  23. Get Real

I hope Brown beats her by a LARGE margin. She is an annoying idiot.

March 23, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. John

Take him down Rachel. I'm from MA, you can do it.

March 23, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. gypsydaveywithablowtorch

Run Rachel! I'd move to Mass. just so i could vote for you!

March 23, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |