March 23rd, 2010

Timeline: How health care reform will affect you

(CNN) – President Obama signed sweeping health care reform into law today. The Senate must now pass a package of changes that will reconcile the differences between Senate and House bills. If those changes are worked out, here is how health care reforms will affect you:

Within the first year

• Young adults will be able stay on their parents' insurance until their 27th birthday.

• Seniors will get a $250 rebate to help fill the "doughnut hole" in Medicare prescription drug coverage, which falls between the $2,700 initial limit and when catastrophic coverage kicks in at $6,154.

Full story

Filed under: Health care
  1. Fabius

Well, who cares about health care, is yesterdays news so you know I couldn't get away with talking about Cali! Cali baby and the endorsement! And if you don't like it, then do something about it cause other than that, that's my style and you either love me or hate me...(????)...

What Cali needs is a fiscal conservative, for example, I know people in the Army who are from California(surprised? Duh!!) and they give me some unique perspectives but you don't deserve it so I'll make this perfectly clear. Fiscal responsibility and fiscal conservatism is what is gonna make Cali be the next GM or car industry. If they don't have it, then they're done! They need a better leader and a better "rationally ignoarnt" person, whihc is safe to say that Cali is a diverse state and needs someone like that. But then again, they did elect the former actor in the Governator so it is a better accurate and prediction to suggest that non-attitudes reflect that state as a whole. Though conservatism exists over there.

Like I hope Bill Bradley gets elected here in our state, though it will be tough but TRUST ME, we are slowly but surely turning very moderately, if Bill Bradley plays his hand right and gets what the tables gives him, finally will be worse.

March 23, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. frank in Valparaiso

I'm insured. Initiall, no change.

Long term, big time. Hospitals have more patients insured, their rates will come down. Especially if they have ERs. They have to take everybody who shows up by law. Give enough treatment to transfer them to a country hospital if they have no insurance, or enough for them to be safely discharged. Get a trauma patient, heart attack, that is a ton of money they will never see. Hundreds of millions, possibly a billion in your state depending on size, year in and year out.

This will also reduce bankruptcies due to hospital bills.

All this will have a big change in the economy and the effects will not be really obvious. But they will be there.

Think of when the interstates went in. Now try to explain how it was before them.

March 23, 2010 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  3. Remus Redbone

Very difficult to see how any of this is going to save money. My bet is that it will not.

March 23, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  4. Scott Moore

As a life-long Republican, and as a physician of over 50 years and still practicing, I am encouraged to see some steps taken toward toward improving the healthcare in the U.S.A. We have had too many people without help in their health problems for too many years. Although much is yet to be done, this is a good start. As to the Republicans saying we are doing it too fast, they have done nothing for the past decade, and are prepared to do nothing in the future. It is still the old mantra, "I got mine, so screw you".

March 23, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  5. Save 'em in the womb, so a "christian" war can send 'em to the tomb

Since health care access for 32 million working class Americans was called "Armageddon" by the "christian" con House reps, here is my request.

Could you please get Saint Sarah of the Silly to use that "open line to God" she claims to have, and schedule that whole Rapture "thingy"?

That way all you "christians" are safe and sound and all we mere mortal human "heathens" will have to deal with are those pesky Horsemen of the Apocalypse, that will bring disease, pestilence and and an endless array of horrible things.

If the phone is busy(I assume God does not have Voicle Mail) get the TwitterTwit to send a tweet!

Please, do not make the Rapture dependent upon Saint Sarah being there on time, her history with meetings and invitations has not been the best. But I do assume she will be present and cross referencing her list of approved individuals that "Jesus saves".l

Thanking you in advance for scheduling this because you see, I have plans. Plan A was to be near Joel Osteen so I could catch that Diamond and 18KT Gold Rolex before it hit the ground, but upon reflection, I understand his wife can be a bit prickly, especially at high altitudes, so time for Plan B, I will be heading to Billy Graham's sure to be vacant mountain top chalet(personally, I might have used those funds for the poor and a more modest adobe but who am I to judge)?

Now, if only the pilot of his private Lear Jet, is a "heathen" I intend to travel.... .

March 23, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  6. This is the change....Really?

Prez Obama "This Reform-bill will reduce costs by $1.5 trillion and we ask :'When and what" ? Telling the American People the biggest fairytale and we ask "Did any fairy tale ever told come true" ?

Looking at the Dems and their President gathering at the White House for the signing ; we see uneasy laughs and hugs and the question in all their eyes "Did we get it right"?

This bill adds more wight to an already overloaded ship and cut adrift without a captain or crew;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Nov/2010 the people will answer........................................................................................................!

March 23, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  7. gt

here is how the government will effect us.. they will control more of our lives and we will pay more taxes and get litte or nothing in return..

March 23, 2010 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. Fitz in Texas

If his mouth is moving and there's sound coming out you can bet your last penny what you are hearing is a lie.

March 23, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. Mike

Look out just a little further and you will see massive tax increases on everyone. Then will come the value added tax and even the government moochers will be paying for that.

March 23, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Kevin in Ohio

If those changes are worked out......

Let's hope not.

That is the only remaining hope for America's financial future after the signing of this disaster. Obama made history...but so did Marx, Stalin, Neville Chamberlain, and few others of the same ilk.....

March 23, 2010 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Smart 1

What kind of leader is he that would add to the vile evil ranting that has made this party look Un American, it is embarrassing to see these ooooold men act like a bunch of ignorant thugs. As a Independent I see the way these people conduct themselves and I would never vote for any group that would incite violence and racism into a disagreement. Their leader is really Rush Limpballs

March 23, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. Beverly - NYC

I hope the Republicans who voted no will have the integrity to stand by their convictions. Please ask grandma to return the rebate, and have the college grads still living in their homes go without coverage.
    Go ahead I dare you. Not even John Mr. 8 homes Mccain passes up his Social Security check, another evil government program. Hypocrites.

March 23, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Tracy

Three words: Taxes, taxes, taxes.

March 23, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Enough

My taxes will go up and I will be forced to pay for my health insurance as well as other peoples health insurance. My insurance premiums will rise, our business will not hire any more employees and may lay off a few as a result. Doctor appointments will be harder to get and my treatment will be substandard.

March 23, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. Lila Muzik

A "doughnut hole" is all we the people are going to be left with.....the government got the doughnut.

March 23, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  16. Wisconsonite - Stop Smoking the Tea Bags!

Ok Fools. I've read through it all . . . now explain to all of us just what EXACTLY you think is illegal, or immoral, or socialistic, or communist or whatever crap you have to say, about this bill. Please. Seriously . . . . I'd LOVE to hear it.

Here's just two good things it does for me:

1. As a two time breast cancer survivor I don't have to worry about losing my insurance because of my pre-existing condition.

2. My 24 yar old son, graduated from college but still can't find a job, can be on my health insurance until he can get his own. I will still have to pay for his coverage, but at least he'll have some.

Let's hear from some others about how this bill will have a personal postitive effect on your lives!

March 23, 2010 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Brandon

I voted for Pres. Obama. I wanted change in the Health Care Reform. I also voted for Pres. Bush (twice) and got no Health Care Reform. The GOP = Party of No, can claim they want health care reform, but when they were in power, they did NOTHING?!?!?! In November, I will not be voting for GOP.

March 23, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  18. El Gordo

OK Conservatives. Here's the first impact of the new health bill.

Kids can stay on their parents health insurance until they are 27. Which category does this come under? Socialism? Communism? Death Panels? Give us our country back?

Medicare recipients get a kickback to offset a charge that would be onerous for those on fixed, small incomes. Now that has got to be hard-core, Kremlin style Communism, wouldn't you say? It's a trick, of course. Those $250 rebate checks will be coated with arsenic so that old white people will die off and Barry Hussein can allow more illegal immigrants into the nation, right?

Where are you on these important issues, Conservatives? Tell us.

March 23, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  19. Regular Joe

Middle class american, and firmly believe the political fall out is on the republican party, NOT the democrats because, not one republican voted for it, Really guts under my claw how no one wants to do anything but stymie ANY kind of progress. All they want is gridlock and I hope we can elect people who really want to move forward. There is no plan that's going to satisfy everyone. Just remember that the hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who in time of crisis, do nothing.

March 23, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Derrick

At least libTards can say that this socialized ObamaScare will help someone in the first 5 years.

Unfortunately, most libtard Democraps living in their mommies' basements will turn 27 soon, then the LOSERS will be on their own once again.

March 23, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  21. A True Centrist

So just to recap...several taxes will increase, several new taxes will be implemented and we won't be receiving any of the benefits for about 5 years. After collecting taxes for 10 years and only paying benefits for 5, the government will be left with a small surplus assuming the GDP growth estimate provided by the administration is true, assuming several addtional tax hikes are passed by 2018 (which they may not when Republicans take over next year) and assuming employers will pay the fine rather than pay for company insurance plans. This all means that this plan will use up pretty much 10 years worth of tax revenue in 5 years...yup, this sounds as sustainable as social security and medicare (which thanks for the 1/2 billion in cuts to medicare by the way, my grandfather really appreciates it).

March 23, 2010 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  22. cspurgeon

That donut hole is a big deal for seniors. I don't hit it thank god but know some cancer patients etc who do and this is good for them. Better yet when it gets closed....

March 23, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  23. Jim

These changes will impact me immediately! My 25-yr old daughter was among those receiving a 40% premium increase for her individual Anthem/Blue Cross health policy. Now I'll be able to carry her on our family insurance until her 27th birthday. Even though she's young and healthy, I don't want her to risk a break in coverage that might allow an insurer to deny a claim for a pre-existing condition!

Republicans, please don't try to obstruct or repeal any of this needed reform that benefits so many people and reduces the federal deficit!

March 23, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. Sniffit

You forgot to add the following:

Immediately – Entire American public continues to be deluged by rancid partisan demogoguery from the GOP, and GOP begins all out attempt to keep thehealth care issue front and center until November and beyond in order to milk it for political leverage. Large percentage of rational, reasonable people begin experiencing migraines.

Immediately – GOP attempts to repeal the bill through bill introduced by the dumbest member of Congress, Michelle Bachman, who has yet to realize that the GOP has 0% chance of winning the 2/3 majority in each chamber of Congress required to overturn the 100% certainty of Obama vetoing any such bill to miraculously make it through Congress to his desk. Hint: Not enough Dems are up for re-election in November for the GOP to pull off the trick of obtaining 67 Senators and 2/3 of the House. But who's counting? Science doesn't matter to these people, so why should math?

Immediately – GOP and insurance companies instigate frivolous constitutionality challenge in hopes that they can leverage the 5 conservative justices who have already proven to be fantastic political allies of theirs willing to ignore precedent and invent facts that are not part of the record on appeal. Millions upon millions of taxpayer money blown.

2 months from now – Rational, reasonable portion of the public start to wonder where all the tissues and pampers are going and slowly realizes that the GOP is using them all up with their crying and pantwetting.

March 23, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. GI Joe

CNN only has their prejudiced right-wing nutjob POLLS.

---------

WASHINGTON — Americans by 9 percentage points have a favorable view of the health care overhaul that President Obama signed into law Tuesday, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, a notable turnaround from surveys before the vote that showed a plurality against it.
    By 49%-40% those surveyed say it was "a good thing" rather than a bad one that Congress passed the bill. Half describe their reaction in positive terms, as "enthusiastic" or "pleased," while about four in 10 describe it in negative ways, as "disappointed" or "angry."

March 23, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |