March 24th, 2010

People: Palin, Discovery reach deal for TV show

Sarah Palin has inked a television deal, People Magazine reports.
Sarah Palin has inked a television deal, People Magazine reports.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is branching out beyond politics, striking a deal with the Discovery Channel for a program spotlighting her home state of Alaska, People Magazine reports.

According to People, a source with the cable network says the former Alaska governor and Discovery have finally struck a deal after weeks of negotiations that involved several networks. A source told CNN earlier this month that Palin had been pitching a show that would be a "Planet Earth-style" documentary about Alaska.

The Palin source also told CNN of the proposed show: "It's not going to be focused on her family, or in her house, or in Wasilla."

Variety reported Tuesday the show is expected to be called "Sarah Palin's Alaska" and the former Republican vice presidential nominee will likely nab $1 million an episode.

Representatives of the Discovery Channel would not confirm the reports to CNN.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Eddie B

Will part of the show be about how US citizens cross the border to Canada to get healthcare like you and your family use to? WHAT A HYPOCRITE!?!?!?

March 24, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  2. Sandy Riney

What is Sarah Palin going to show us about Alaska? How she has wolves chased by planes until they are too tired to run and then they are shot and killed. Do we get to see Russia from her back yard? In the interviews of Katie Couric and other intelligent people I was not impressed with her answers. Sorry, but I would not watch one minute of her show.

March 24, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  3. Jackie

Yeah, whatever. With her track record, she'll probably quit halfway through filming the first episode – Just as soon as she discovers that she can't write an entire script on the palms of her hands...

March 24, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Joe the carpenter Lex. Ky.

It boggles the mind, how such and imbecile can rake it in in America. Discovery channel you have just lost a vast majority of my respect.

March 24, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Anita from Nevada

I suppose if the words are simple and she's given plenty of time to read them, Palin will get through it. I don't object to her greed and ambition; it does seem to be the American way. I would rather, however, she did it privately, out of the media spotlight. Having no desire to contribute to her run for the big bucks, I won't be watching.

March 24, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. Carlos former Republican....

Ms Palin has been able to 'milk' every penny from her 15 min of fame!! $1 million per episode?? !!?? Goes to show that you can be an inarticulate low IQ from Alaska, and still make the big bucks. I hope she can find her way around the State, who knows maybe she'll make the wrong turn and end up in Russia, remember she can see Russia from her kitchen.
    Scary thought she could have been our Vice President...heaven did HELPED us on that one!!!!

March 24, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. Educated citizen

Dear CNN:

Palin hasn't been news for some time now. Please make the world a better place by ignoring her.

Thank you.

March 24, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Mark

I love it how the Repubs are always slamming Hollywood to the unwashed masses and then in the next breath are running there for their big pay day! Talk about two faced!!

March 24, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. BobH

What a concept: "Let's produce a documentary featuring the beauty of Alaska, hosted by the person that wants to drill and destroy it."

I wonder what episode will feature the line: "Hey, now there's a pretty scene, with all the snow and animals and all. But just think how much prettier those wolves would look skinned and thrown on top of my sofa! And imagine that big old snowfield with a beautiful oil drill pumping out big time Alaska crude! Now that's really pretty, you betcha!"

Is there a way to pay Discovery $1 million dollars an episode NOT to produce it?

March 24, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Brijhy

One more channel to boycott!

March 24, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. Nathan

Ugh....I used to like the Discovery Channel. Why drop politics in the name of something? AND have to pay her for it? Just do a normal documentary about Alaska that I'd actually watch instead of pass right on over.

March 24, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  12. rob

I guess that means I can't watch discovery channel anymore. Amazing how this dumb person ends up 1M/episode.

Time to ask Discovery not to politicize or lower the IQ of their channel with a woman "who has read a lot of books"

March 24, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  13. Karen

Who cares...........She is not the only one who lives in Alaska. Oh Well. don't really care.....I am not going to watch.

March 24, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. cryuncle

You betcha! Wondering if the show will include a fossil excavation site. Which day in Genesis explains about the 70 million year old paleontological finds? Maverick-osaurus.

March 24, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Gary

Oh Lord help us all! The Twit has her own reality show!

March 24, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. Chuck Anaheim, Ca

I will no longer watch Discovery Channel. What could this moron(palin) show us about "her" Alaska? Hunting wolves from a helicopter perhaps.

March 24, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. fbythesea

She's all about money.

March 24, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  18. Turnabout is Fair Play

As much as I like the Discovery Channel, this will be on series I will NOT watch. There are plenty of other Alaska documentaries I can download out there..this will NOT be one of them.

March 24, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  19. Jefe

"Welcome to Alaska, where the coyotes are killing more livestock than the wolves ever did, because their population is spinning out of control thanks to our kill-wolves-from-helicopters program. Our solution? We're gonna kill the coyotes next! Then when the next species goes out of balance, we'll kill all of them too. Winkitty Wink Wink!"

March 24, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  20. Jeff in Houston

Okay. Deleting the Discovery Channel from my list of accessable stations. It is sad that an educational channel aligns itself in any way with a person so hostile to education. Oh well. I guess they ran out of shark shows.

March 24, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. FLV

It just goes to show that even fecal matter can have its day in the sun.

Shame too because I like Discovery channel but this is just beyond stupid.. a lot like Sarah Palin.

March 24, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  22. Chelle

wow I hope it's only one episode

March 24, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Bubba

She's giving the money to the people of Alaska, right? I wondered how she was going to go on working for them after she walked on her job.

March 24, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. dw, california

I'm not sure why Discovery would agree to this – everything she stands for (shooting wolves from helicopters, not protecting whales and polar bears, destroying nature to drill for oil) is completely at odds with what Discovery channel is about – preservation, saving endangered species and other environmentally friendly ideals.

Another hypocrisy: She will be receiving $1 million per episode – but is still accepting donations on her SarahPAC website to help pay for legal fees.

March 24, 2010 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |