March 24th, 2010

Reid: Prayers prevented wife from being paralyzed after accident

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, believes prayers for his wife after her car accident earlier this month prevented her from being paralyzed.

"With the prayers that have been offered all over the country for my little wife, that's meaningful to me," Reid said during a Capitol Hill press conference Wednesday, "because I'm confident that those prayers prevented my wife from being paralyzed."

Landra Reid, Reid's wife of more than 50 years, suffered a broken neck, nose, and vertebra in a car accident outside Washington on March 11. Their daughter, Lana Reid, was also in the vehicle but her injuries were not as serious.

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. J.P.

Senator Reid, I can't really stand you or anything you stand for, but I'm happy your family is going to recover from this terrible accident. Peace and health to you and your family. Hope they're up and around soon.

March 24, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Monster Zero

_____________________________________
    If that were true Harry, you and Nancy would be pushin' daisies.....

March 24, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Stupidscript

I've been looking but I can't find that particular treatment in the new healthcare bill. Will prayer be covered?

March 24, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Obama Victim

I am very glad his wife is Ok,,,,,,I believe in prayer as well. Right now I am praying he loses in Nov.

March 24, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. MLH

Well, I imagine the health care Mrs. Reid received was also a significant factor.

March 24, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. gt

prayer works...

March 24, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. skeptical

Really prayers? That's pretty arrogant to think a god would choose your wife to help out of the billions of others whose prayers for basic food go unanswered. If you want to give credit, why not give it to the doctors and nurses who had a lot more to do with it?

March 24, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Angela Lewis

Definitely! Thank you for expressing your religious beliefs. I am glad she is okay.

March 24, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. normajean

We {i'm sure all of us] are happy about Harry Reids wife and her improving health and wish her a speedy recovery and back to good as new. Nothing is harder for a family than to have a loved one hurt so badly.

March 24, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. Boston Irish

He calls her "little wife"??? How demeaning can you get. Does she call him "big husband". If your "little wife" was prevented from being paralized, prayer didn't do it. If God wants it to happen, it will, If he doesn't want it to happen, it won't.

March 24, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. GI Joe

Glad your family's ok. Thank you for being a dignified and respectful politician.

Please don't ever resort to the threats and hate the other side portrays almost daily.

March 24, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Mark L.

This is GREAT News !! Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid – May God Continue to ALWAYS BLESS YOU, Your Lovely Wife, Landra and Daughter, Lana !! I continue to pray that both your Wife and Daughter make a Full, Speedy Recovery !!

March 24, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. BeverlyNC

She was indeed very lucky to have survived such a terrible accident and have basically walked away. I said a prayer for her because I think so much of Harry Reid. Unlike Republican Senators, Harry Reid is a good and decent man and deserves blessings.

Let's not lose the opportunity to promote how fortunate it was Harry Reid has the best insurance coverage in the world. Democrats have now extended this same healthcare coverage and the end of insurance company abuses of us all.

Republicans are still fighting to keep the People from having the healthcare the Republicans use and enjoy. What a bunch of obstructionist hypocrites! Guess they are so much more special and entitled to receive healthcare than working families.

Now they are so full of hate that we the people will have healthcare – they are spitting on members of Congress, calling them the "N" word, threatening their lives (some have had to have protection details assigned to them) and are telling the most hateful lies ever. What a bunch of common thugs! Is this who you want representing you in Congress? Haters, liars, fear-mongerers, racists, and proponents of violence???

It's time to rid our government of these dangerous traitors to our country in November.

March 24, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  14. Kathleen

Yes, I was praying for Harry Reid and his family. I really think that Harry Reid is one hard worker for the American People. Nevada should respect him for all of his hard work, unless they are all rich.
    I don't know why his job would be on the line.

Harry Reid and Nancy Polisi deserve credit!

March 24, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. dave

Senator Reid..may my lord be with you and your family .

March 24, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. Diane Dagenais Turbide

God Bless you Mr. Reid, your wife and your daughter! I wish them well!

March 24, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

I am pleased to hear that Reid's wife will be okay. But didn't he get the memo from the messiah that any statements about prayers and anything religious are strictly forbidden in Obamanation unless you are a Democrat running for office and campaigning inside a Southern Baptist church.

March 24, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. jeff jackson, alabama

I agree with Reid 100%.
    Things worked out well considering
    the injuries. Everybody should be
    glad for his whole family.

March 24, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  19. JES

I didn't know that you belived in GOD the way you voted for the Health Care Bill.

I am very happy for your family that they are getting better each day.

March 24, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  20. Michael Smith

that's odd

usually it's republicans who spout religious craziness

March 24, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. frank

Having broken my back, no doubt a good neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon didn't hurt either.

And don't forget, most neurosurgeons don't start practicing medicine until they're in their mid 30s. The training is incredibly long.

HS, college, med school, residency, surgical residency, neurosurgical residency.

There are doctors and then there are neurosurgeons. Glad to hear it came out well.

Not to mention the response of EMS that got her to the hospital.

Now, there is NO reason this care should not be available to each and every American when it is needed. It already is in the military.

March 24, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Susan Retten

Anyone else notice the "my little wife" formulation?

March 24, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Luke Brown

That was a very nice thing to say, and a good reminder that there is a very human side of public service.

March 24, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Elibrun Pierre

Senator Harry I keep you in my prayers also.

March 24, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. chris l

Who is he praying to? If it's God, well, you have to believe in God for him or her to answer your prayers. Reid belongs to the god-hating anti American Liberal Democrat Party(oh and the also have no problem murdering unborn babies), so Im quite certain that it was more luck that his wife is ok and not by the help of God. Liberalism and God do not mix. Maybe he prayed to OBOZO? Wouldn't surprise me.

March 24, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |