March 25th, 2010

Condom sent to Democrat who voted for health care bill

Rep. Betty McCollum is a Democrat from Minnesota who voted for the health care bill.

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, was one of several members of Congress who reported receiving obscene and threatening letters after voting for the health care reform bill passed by Democrats on Sunday.

But her spokeswoman told CNN that inside one letter received Thursday was a condom, removed from its original packaging.

McCollum's spokeswoman Maria Reppas said Thursday that the congresswoman's district office in St. Paul received the condom in an envelope dated March 23, along with an anonymous typed letter reading: "Betty McCollum you've been dry f***** by the liberal party."

The condom had been removed from its original packaging and placed in a plastic bag, according to McCollum's district director. McCollum's office said the U.S. Capitol Police and local law enforcement are investigating the package along with another one received Thursday.

Her office also reported receiving part of a shredded American flag doused in gasoline and a typed letter addressed to McCollum, Rep. Keith Ellison, Sen. Amy Klobuchar and Sen. Al Franken - all Democrats from Minnesota.

"Each of you receives part of a shredded American flag," the letter read. "It represents Obama and your liberal filth. Open the bag, it's covered in the stench you've brought to our government ... Because of you, we are now a country of dirt, shame, corruption and slime."

McCollum released a statement late Thursday responding to the threats.

"I will not back down in the face of attacks, threats, and violence," she said. "I do not regret my vote, and I will proudly stand in the face of opposition and defend my support of health care reform."

Filed under: 2010 • Betty McCollum • Extra • Health care • Minnesota • Popular Posts
  1. MCD

One of the nutcases who just doesn't realize that the Democrats are in charge because THEY WERE PUT THERE BY THE PEOPLE!

Just can't imagine what or who got these threatening people to such a fever pitch (tongue in cheek).

March 25, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  2. Average American

I bet another democRAT sent it to her (if she really received it at all), while she and other democRATS try to blame republicans for it.

By the way, I'm INDEPENDENT....

March 25, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  3. mark

The right wing in this country are such a classy bunch of folks, aren't they?

March 25, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. jim

and this is how the republicans debate? by sending threats and garbage to their adversaries? is this the best argument the conservatives can come up with? seriously?

after hearing about this stuff, why would anyone vote for a republican?

March 25, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. donidarko

What is wrong with these deluded and unstable republicans? I hope the GOP, Fox news, Glen Beck, etc. will be the ones blamed and held accountable for stirring up this hornets nest. It seems that their spewing of hate speech, misinformation and lies has worked on a small segment of the American population with the least amount of reasoning capability. I hope these deluded individuals can turn away from Fox "lies" in time to save some of their remaining brain cells.

March 25, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. dan smith

All Communist liberals, including Obama, need to be voted out in 2010-2012

March 25, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. skeptic1

Always good to read about those core GOP values at work in today's society. Palin 2011!

March 25, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. MsDp

Such a sick thing to do. I pray that who ever is responsible for all of the violence is captured soon. I can't wait to find out who is behind all of this fearmongering. Fearmongering rings a bell, but I'll wait for the announcement.

March 25, 2010 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  9. snood

Being from Minnesota and already paying for a clinc that has no question healthcare. (HCMC I pay with property tax increase that Iam sure wont go down) I find this funny Yahooooooooooo I get to buy health ins. cause I pay my share already and work, my self employed ins I already have just goes up more so lofers can have it free. I did notice that the healthcare and ins has gone up on the DOW so theres what those in charge can claim is not a ins company bailout in a hidden manner

March 25, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  10. JustMe

These Republicans are a sick bunch.

March 25, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  11. Robrob

"an anonymous typed letter"

My, how brave of them...

March 25, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  12. ryan

I really hope the right wingers keep this up, then the 1/3 of you who claim to be truly independent will need to decide whether to side with people who resort to this sort of tactic when they don't get their way. Is that who you want to be associated with? You need to ask yourself that question when you vote. Do I want to be part of a party whose base hurl racist and homophobic slurs and who send condoms and fake anthrax when they don't get their way? I hope you can live with yourselves if you do...

March 25, 2010 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  13. Diane

You notice none of these yahoos leave their names when they send their packages, letters and messages. What a brave bunch they are. If they feel so strongly about their views, why don't they let everyone know who they are? These "people" should crawl back under their rocks. The stupidity is show and it's embarassing to the rest of the country.

March 25, 2010 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  14. Ancient Texan

There is a lot of insanity coming out of the fringe areas of both parties that is totally unacceptable and must stop. But at the same time, there are some reports that are obviously works of fiction; designed to deflect heat from the Democrats arrogantly passing a bill that the American people didn't want in its present form. The one party dominance of the political scene will backfire and present a very interesting election this coming November.

March 25, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. zazzle.com/TheProgram

the right wingers really represent their God well, don't you think?

what would Jesus mail?

March 25, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  16. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

The arrogant morons of the far Left have just seriously ticked off 100 million Americans. What did they expect? That all of us who have just had our economic futures ruined are just going to say "Oh, well..."

This isn't a game. This isn't politics. This is the economic future of the country and the idiot Dems just don't care about that. They're going to spend and spend and spend until the dollar collapses, and destroy the value of everything I've saved for my retirement and for my kids' college educations.

It was never my plan, back when I was young, to have to work until the day I dropped dead of old age, but that's exactly what's going to happen if someone doesn't stop Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.

March 25, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. Bob44

This is getting so unreal - vandalism, racism, threats, violence. What happened to the America we used to love?

March 25, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Brian Dunbar

This is great....so we instill this bill which is going to cost us the people more money in the long run. We are already burdend with a substantial amount of debt. So the generations of years to come will be the ones who are weighed down with the rebuilding and payment of this thoughtless decision. It's nice somebody had the guts to do something about it. Our generation are the ones who voted it in. Thoughtless and arrogant, we voted based off of peer pressure and lack of knowledge.

March 25, 2010 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. CMG

Why do I think that your fellow MInnesota female legislator, Ms Bachman, may know the origin of that condom? She seemingly thinks that she knows everything else. Poor woman!!!!

March 25, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. Native Georgian

One word...Pathetic! I cannot believe that in this day n' age we have idiots who act like this the moment something doesn't go their way! You have gots to be kidding me! After enduring 8 years of G. W. Bush and all the mistakes he made, I thought America was better than this! This is pure ignorance, plain and simple.

March 25, 2010 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  21. Karol

What is wrong with our society? If you don't agree with the other party, then they are evil? These people are lunatics. I can't imagine what bottom-feeder would do such a thing as the man in Minnesota. I hope God blesses him. He needs all the help he can get.

March 25, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  22. ProudAmerican

"Whoever" is behind such immaturity and unbelieveable stunts are themselves filled with "dirt, shame, corruption and slime". Whatever happened to bipartisan? Whatever happened to patriotism? Whatever happened to agree to disagree? Sheesh people, c'mon! The republicans had 8 years to handle healthcare as they wished - instead that administration stripped us of civil liberties, tanked our economy and got us into illegal wars. Whether you agree or disagree with this bill, let us at least see what this young administratin can accomplish!

March 25, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  23. Anonymous

I do not regret my vote...rofl.
    Wonder if any one have them even read the bill.I did and you will note the funding section,and budget. It gives control to the Secretary of Health to make regulations,enforce regulations,and to "appropriate" funds.I thought that was the job of congress?
    They do not even realize they are giving up there own job of making a budget.When 1/3 of the economy will be controlled by one man,that is not even an elected official.

March 25, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  24. Tom, St Paul

Thank you Betty for your vote. Don't let these cowards get to you.

March 25, 2010 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  25. Bill

We in MN are with you Congresswoman McCollum, and we are proud of your work on this important issue. Though many of us were on the sidelines as this bill was debated, those who stood to lose when these first first steps toward equality in health care were taken have reared their ugly heads, and manipulated the weak minded into these senseless acts of aggression. Bring on a real debate. When the opponents of reform reduced it to such a low level it betrayed their true intention of maintaining their lock on the current system, and the profits that came from it.

March 25, 2010 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |