March 25th, 2010

Condom sent to Democrat who voted for health care bill

Rep. Betty McCollum is a Democrat from Minnesota who voted for the health care bill.

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, was one of several members of Congress who reported receiving obscene and threatening letters after voting for the health care reform bill passed by Democrats on Sunday.

But her spokeswoman told CNN that inside one letter received Thursday was a condom, removed from its original packaging.

McCollum's spokeswoman Maria Reppas said Thursday that the congresswoman's district office in St. Paul received the condom in an envelope dated March 23, along with an anonymous typed letter reading: "Betty McCollum you've been dry f***** by the liberal party."

The condom had been removed from its original packaging and placed in a plastic bag, according to McCollum's district director. McCollum's office said the U.S. Capitol Police and local law enforcement are investigating the package along with another one received Thursday.

Her office also reported receiving part of a shredded American flag doused in gasoline and a typed letter addressed to McCollum, Rep. Keith Ellison, Sen. Amy Klobuchar and Sen. Al Franken - all Democrats from Minnesota.

"Each of you receives part of a shredded American flag," the letter read. "It represents Obama and your liberal filth. Open the bag, it's covered in the stench you've brought to our government ... Because of you, we are now a country of dirt, shame, corruption and slime."

McCollum released a statement late Thursday responding to the threats.

"I will not back down in the face of attacks, threats, and violence," she said. "I do not regret my vote, and I will proudly stand in the face of opposition and defend my support of health care reform."

Filed under: 2010 • Betty McCollum • Extra • Health care • Minnesota • Popular Posts
  1. Denton Ford

It's good to see that democracy works in this country. Not that I care, but I'm sure this is front-page news in Germany, France and other parts of old Europe where they take health care for granted. What ever happened to "one nation, under God, indivisible....." We're divided, folks. I just hope Rush keeps his promise and bails.

March 25, 2010 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  2. joel palmer

At the core; the haters, the crazies, the birthers the tenthers, the secessionsists are the loyal republican base.

I wasn't always this way; but sadly, today, it is

March 25, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  3. magella

i'm confused. Aren't the Republicans the ones who get all up in arms about defacing the flag? And being disrespectful to elected officials when our troops are in harm's way? Oh, I see. It's only when they are in power. Their own rules don't apply to them anymore.

March 25, 2010 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  4. Ridgeway

Would but that Obama's daddy, who ever he was, had used a condom. Too late.
    It would be nice if someone would send Harry Reid one to put over his big head. And just a nice bag for Nancy Pelosi's.

March 25, 2010 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. normajean

It's really sad, but I've come to think of the republicans as one sick bunch of losers. After years and years of seeing new administrations come and go, I can't remember any so pathetic and disgusting as the juvenile actions of the Republicans . In any contest there is usually a winner and a loser. Maturity and willingness to work with the other side are expected with, mature, intellegent adults, but this time the losing side decided to act like 6 yr. olds and get nasty. They are publicly claiming this not to be true,but we may have been born at night,but it wasn't last night. Unfortunately for them, it's all on tape.,and the whole worlds watching.

March 25, 2010 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  6. Andy from NYC

For the fascists from Minnesota, I hear that Costa Rica is warm year round. You should seriously consider immigration to this country rather than sticking it out in Minnesota and sending threatening mail to politicians.

March 25, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  7. Pete

No, the Neocons pretty much have a monopoly on dirt, shame, corruption and slime. And the people who sent this stuff demonstrate that very, very well.

March 25, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  8. Michele

And we should respect the other party why? These people are insane and dangerous, and I think the FBI had better round them all up and throw away the key for 20 years. My God, what is the matter with these people? Beck, Hannity, and E=Rush should be ashamed of what they have brought about with their lies and fear-mongering since the legal election of a black President. I don;t care what they say, this is all about race.

March 25, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  9. George

What a disgrace to the Republican party to be associated with criminally minded sacks like these.

March 25, 2010 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  10. tman

These actions show how some people deal with problems. Instead of doing the only thing one should do if they dislike the outcome of the health bill and that it is to try and make it work for the people and vote the people out you do not like. Stop acting like children.

March 25, 2010 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  11. Stephanie -Maryland

Thank you, Rep. Betsy McCollum, Rep.Keith Ellison, Sen. A. Klobuchar, & Sen Franken, for your votes on Health Reform to stand firm on the issues that YOU believe in. I hope & pray all of you & family members are well. What will these groups accomplish with their HATRED against the Democrat Representatives & Senators who voted YES for a health reform that is desperately needed in this country? Insurance companies, RNC/GOP's, few Democrats, are getting rich while citizens are losing medical benefits by increasing their premiums, jobs lost, or DYING period. I praise the Democrat party for the hard work they have endured the past year.

March 25, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  12. Spooky2

This is what the Right wing is all about. Enough is enough.

March 25, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  13. Dinka

I support the health care reform; I do not agree with everything in the bill and think that it was forced through too quickly because of the threat of partisan politics, but I think that some of the advances were incredibly necessary and timely.

I do NOT support those that threaten the lives or well-being of anyone, including our Congressmen and women, simply because one may disagree with them.

HOWEVER, it is every American's right to protest. The examples of the condom and the burnt flag may be particularly colorful potty language, but they are not threatening in particular. There's no message of violence or threat or attack – aside from verbal comparison – here. I do not agree with those people, but I support their right to protest in this way.

...assuming, of course, it was not a USED condom...

March 25, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  14. Michelle

Okay, Betsy. We'll just vote you out.

March 25, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  15. I do not feel sorry

I do not feel sorry for these folks. They voted against the will of the majority of the countries citizens. Now I am not saying it needs to get violent, or anyone should get hurt.
    But I do hope they get TONS of letters, emails and phone calls that can make them feel as violated as many of us do. They took away our voice as Americans. I do not give a rat behind what many of you will say, the FACT is. MOST Americans do want Health Reform, but NOT this crap they crammed into law. They took it upon themselves to do what they wanted to do from a political aspect. They took away our voice by not hearing what we had to say.

March 25, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  16. Truth2

republicans are so despicable and disgusting. Fanning the flames of hatred all because they coulndt have their way. When would they finally acknowledge that they lost the elections.

The MAJORITY of Americans despise thuggery and I hope Repblican leaders would remember that.

March 25, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  17. Ronald Brignoni

Thank you Betty for having the guts to stand up to these nameless cowards. You have begun the process that makes it possible for all of us to gain affordable health care while mitigating those egregious practices ofthe health care industry. Bravo

March 25, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  18. mother in Pa

I honestly do not understand what those who voted for this travesty of a law and were bought out expect from honest, hard working people. There was something so inherently wrong with the way these politicians sold their votes. I certainly do not respect these people and the Obama administration is among the worse. How dare he acknowkedge that the cfitizens did not want this but he knows better. He is a lawyer and a community organizer who will bring this great nation to its knees in servitude to a big government.

March 25, 2010 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  19. brian in denver

How ignorant do these people have to be? Are they too stupid to realize they are defeating themselves?

March 25, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. Tom in Millstadt

The big lie " Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."

The truth "Extremism in the name of liberty is tyranny"

March 25, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  21. mms55

you know i'am about sick of these idiots who think you are pro abortion if you are pro choice,nothing could be further from the truth! i just don't happen to think its my business what someone else belives,if you don't belive in abortion dont have one!! do not judge lest you be judged. so much for all that liberty they spout!! who the hell do they think they are?you say your for freedom yet you think nothing of trying to stop others freedoms when they don't agree with your ideas, you are dispicable, there is only one judge and its not you.

March 25, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  22. Alpha Male

Wow, I'm so proud to be an American today after reading this.

March 25, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  23. Linda

All this hate in the name of healthcare. These people are truly sick. Including their heroes Palin, Limburgh and Beck the people inciting all this hate. And to think most of these people probably call themselves Christians. I've always said I would rather be judged by a non believer than a so-called Christian.

March 25, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  24. petena

It is so sad that the Republicans don't know how to play. They are so extremist. I wil NEVER, EVER, EVER vote for a Republican. They disgust me, but I will still not threatern them. No wonder out children don't know manners!

March 25, 2010 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  25. Larry

What cowards these slimeballs are. I wonder, are they signing their names to these packages? If not, you KNOW they are cowards of the worst dimension. How is it that people like this actually get to breathe the same air as the rest of us? Shouldn't their mere existence be outlawed?

March 25, 2010 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |