March 25th, 2010

Poll: Big support for student loan change

Washington (CNN) - Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they favor a proposal to increase the amount of money available for college loans by allowing the government to provide those loans directly to students, according to a new poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Wednesday indicates that 64 percent of respondents favor the proposal and 34 percent opposed it.

The measure is part of a package of fixes that were added by House Democrats to the Senate health care reform bill that was passed by the House on Sunday and signed into law by President Obama Tuesday. The fixes still need to be passed the Senate and then returned to the House for final approval.

The student loan measure, which is a priority for Obama, would end the practice of having private banks offer student loans backed by the government.

"Many Americans may not know that a major change to the federal student loan program is part of the health care legislation moving through Congress, but those changes appear to be generally popular," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

The survey also indicates, to a degree, some rare bipartisan support, with a vast majority of Democrats, a solid majority of Independents, and a slight majority of Republicans favoring the proposal.

"There is still a big partisan gap, 82 percent of Democrats support the change, compared to 52 percent of Republicans," adds Holland. "Nonetheless, a majority of both parties have a positive view of the proposal. We haven't seen that very often in recent polls."

The poll was conducted March 19-21, with 1,030 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Filed under: CNN poll
  1. buccakenji

Government controls student loans. Government controls WHO gets student loans. Government can DENY student loans with impunity. Sure sounds like a plan to me. A plan to control the population through government largess. Now if that doesn't sound like Socialism then all those civics classes I took in college were a waste of time.

March 25, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. John

So this was in the fix it Bill and the GOP figured they will make some hay with trying to take it out guess they did not know of the poll that 64% of the country like it. Better for the gov't to help the students direct rather then having to pay the middle man the banks to do it. Means more money for the students for the same buck.

March 25, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  3. afp

Great idea – cut out the middle man, make more funds availabe to students, and use the billions in savings to pare down the cost of hte health care bill further decreasing the deficit. It was an old program that needed updating after aqbout 40 years.

March 25, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Jesus(the Zombie version)

Where are all my HCR haters? Hello? Anyone home? What's your next thing to attack now that public opinion is shifting.

Please Repubs, run on Repeal and Replace!

It's not like 90% of Americans have ADHD and will remember the process of which the bill was passed, right?

I mean most Americans already forgot that both Bush tax cuts added over $700 billion to the deficit, so do you really think that because all Repubs voted No on HCR which a Republican is now trying to take credit for creating and has 200 Repub amendments will be remembered?

HELL NO THEY WON'T!

March 25, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Wisconsonite - Republicans Do NOT Care About Working Class Americans

Isn't this what the Repbubs stayed up all night last night trying to take OUT of the bill???? Once again . . . Republicans on the wrong side of Americans, on the wrong side of history!

March 25, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. I got screwed out of my PhD

I left the PhD program where I had a tuition and fee waiver after 2 years of a Marxist chair who hated the military. I wanted to do a national defense emphasis which would have been in line with my previous work.

I had a $20k cost. This has skyrocketed to $60k with fees. I have been out of work for 5 years and counting. I called the school and some of the charges seem strange. You think they do anything about it? No. I wrote Dept of Education and they forward it to the stupid contractor.

My health is getting so bad I may never work again.

As far as I'm concerned the University of Missouri political science dept can shut down.

March 25, 2010 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. Preston kathy

Pkm may be students will have to pay back there loans

March 25, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  8. Jeff

It's hard enough to get a loan from a private bank, let alone with a good interest rate. I support this 100%.

March 25, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Repubhypocrites

Thank you because I am one of those students.

March 25, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. Mike

64% of Americans are in favor of this Obama-endorsed initiative? That's only because the Republi-can'ts haven't ripped into it yet and done everything they can to block it. Once they do, the average American sheep will change their tune in a hurry and those numbers will change. It's what happened with health care.

March 25, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. rick

And the GOP voted no for this. Anything that helps people they vote no.

March 25, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Sniffit

Let's hear it GOPers. Where's the big brother socialism rhetoric? Where's the rhetoric about doing what a majority of the populace wants? Gonna obstruct this too? Bring it on. You're all too stupid to realize you've been getting handed rope for a year and a half.

March 25, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |