March 26th, 2010

Health care bill anger a sign of the times?

Health care reform brought out many protesters such as these Monday in Royal Oak, Michigan.

Washington (CNN) - Americans have always exercised their Democratic rights under the U.S. Constitution to speak out against the government.

Amid the bitter fight over health care reform, a round of hate-filled messages and sometimes violent actions toward members of Congress has prompted calls to ease up on the rhetoric.

Experts say that although protests against social issues such as health care reform are nothing new for the country, such reaction to a landmark bill's passing is uncommon.

"It's unusual that you get this kind of outrage and response to a piece of legislation," said historian Robert Dallek, author of the upcoming book "The Lost Peace: Leadership in a Time of Horror and Hope."

"Of course, it's being fanned in some ways by Republican leaders who keep saying majorities are against this legislation, when in fact there is a pretty even divide in the country, from what the polling data shows," he added.

Full Story

Follow Ed Hornick on Twitter: @HornickCNN

Filed under: Health care
  1. ross

These right wing loonies spewing all their hate – I am a republican NO longer!

March 26, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. anonymous

Cnn said posted something worth blogging about for one. Mr. Obama needs to fix the economy first. then he needs to do healthcare. Preferably without putting all drs out of work

March 26, 2010 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  3. Marc

'O.D.B. – March 26th, 2010 5:17 pm ET
    Anger against the unconstitutional "healthcare" law is NOT a sign of the times... it's a sign of a coming socialist bloodbath at the polls this November.'

FYI, neither me nor you can declare anything 'unconstitutional', just the SCOTUS (which had made mistakes about that in the past BTW).
    And allow me to remember you that the days when angry mobs could dictate what would be the results of elections are way way WAY back in the past!!!
    This is the USA, XXI Century, not the XIX!!!

March 26, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  4. Recreator

The Health Care bill has passed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did Rush leave for Costa Rica yet? I might have missed the headline. I did not hear about a rolling beachball approaching the coast of Costa Rica. Is there a tsumami watch out?

March 26, 2010 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  5. Tammy

Question - do all the tea partiers have good health care? Are they secure from bankruptcy if they or their family members get ill? Are they all independently wealthy to cover all the for-profit costs of the hospitals?

Funny, my friends in Canada have non-profit hospitals, have a health card, show that for admission to a hospital, and never even see a bill. Sure, they pay taxes, but health care is covered through those taxes. In the US, I know folks who are still paying off the birth of their teenagers.

March 26, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  6. John

Health care bill anger a sign of the times?

Nah. It's a sign of wingnuts.

March 26, 2010 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

President Obama has moved on going about the business of the country and these people are stuck in some kind of time zone. If you're not moving forward then you're moving backwards and that's exactly what's going on here. Ask yourself "WHAT HAS A REPUBLICAN DONE FOR ME LATELY", just as I thought, nothing but left people stuck in a time zone and moving backwards.

March 26, 2010 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  8. Oma Drei

I think the "real" Silent Majority are people like me. I've never been poled,
    never marched for Health Care Reform (even though I've been hoping for
    it), I've never sent a postcard, a letter, or an E-mail imploring or demanding HCR. I am at home with cancer and on oxygen so I'm not very active, and I probably wont live long enough to take advantage of the
    HCR, but I am so happy for my fellow Americans!

I don't think the Tea Party has any idea how many of us are out here in
    Main Street America. We don't make a lot of noise but we do vote!

March 26, 2010 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  9. Jane

Unfortunately many people in this blog cannot see the forest for the trees. Several bloggers seem to spend all day on the blog scene (suspect at best–paid to put out their opinions? anyway just a thought.). The issue is not Republicans are citing violence (mind you..just like Democrats did during the Bush admin with the anti-war protests, Code Pink protesting at military recruiter offices, so on). The fact being that people on both sides of the line, republican and democrat are making threats at congressional officials because they did not agree with the way the voted. And fact check yes there are republicans that have been threatened. The issue is that they have always been people in society that use causes to do perform actions. As for the protesters they are doing what America is known for allowing you to disagree with your gov, it's policies, and it's elected officials (yep some may take it to the limit). If you think this is disrespectful or unAmerican than remember those counties who do not allow their people this right–China, North Korea, etc. I hope my right to protest is never taken away just because it is not popular with one party or another, or another person. It is a First Admendment Right granted under the constitution.

March 26, 2010 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  10. A keen observer

These incidents would not be such a great deal except for the fact that republican leaders are egging these unbalanced people on. republican leaders are fully cognizant of their actions and show no remorse for inciting the Teabaggers to riot. I believe the republican Congressmen and Senators fanning the flames of hatred should be arrested and charged with inciting riots, convicted, and jailed. The republican idiots know better.

March 26, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |