March 26th, 2010

MSNBC host denies Senate run

'I'm not running against Scott Brown,' Maddow wrote.
'I'm not running against Scott Brown,' Maddow wrote.

Washington (CNN) - An MSNBC host has taken a full page ad out Friday in The Boston Globe slamming Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts.

Rachel Maddow accuses the senator of making things up, and smearing her to raise money and, essentially, insulting Massachusetts.

In the ad, Maddow, who lives in Massachusetts, criticizes Brown for a fundraising e-mail that he sent out this week where he suggests she might challenge him in 2012.

"[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, the political machine in Massachusetts is looking for someone to run against me," Brown wrote supporters. "And you're not going to believe who they are supposedly trying to recruit – liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow."

Brown's e-mail then takes a shot at the cable news host. "I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," he said.

Brown cited an obscure Boston-area blog post from March 5 as the source of the Maddow rumors.

Firing back, Maddow wrote in her ad, which she also posted on her blog that Brown, "made that up."

"I'm not running against Scott Brown," Maddow wrote. "I never said I was running against Scott Brown. The Massachusetts Democratic Party never asked me to run against Scott Brown."

"It's just not true. Honestly. I swear." The cable news host added that Brown "never even tried to find out if it was true."

Instead, Maddow claimed Brown is smearing one of his constituents to "scare donors into giving him more money." Maddow said, to her, that feels like Brown is insulting Massachusetts.

Brown won his seat in a January special election to fill the remaining three years of the late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy. But he must face voters again, in 2012, to win a full term.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Rachel Maddow • Scott Brown
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I wish she would run!! I love Rachel Maddow, she's truthful, fair, and funny as s#it!

March 26, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  2. Dave

She's not worth it anyway.

March 26, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  3. Mike in TX

Scott Brown is spreading the typical Republican lies, deceptions, and fear.
    I just started watching MSNBC for the first time a few days ago (after I got disgusted with the Republican lies being reported as "fact" on other channels) and I was really impressed with Rachel. She is intelligent, calm, at times funny, and has really good ideas.

March 26, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. Lue Blackwell

That"s the way to go-Rachel-"nip it in the bud"- I guess hanging w/McCain- he is already learning how to scam & lie...he seems to think that he is indispensable-I guess they "scared him straight" when he voted for the jobs bill/ RACHEL ROCKS!!!!!!

March 26, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. tdjones

A politician lie to collect money ? Absolutely unheard of !

March 26, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. ray

the racists on the right will use anyone name, living or dead to gain power. wake up america the racists on the right will and is lying to you every chance they gets. to me it seems like they have already brainwashed you morons on the right.

March 26, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. so what?

...And she would beat him hands down! Why would people vote republican anyway? They have not done any work since they got elected. All they do is to vote no on every issue. Fire them all and reduce the deficit!

March 26, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. Jamie from Riverside

More Republican lies. Who is surpised by this? Brown just joins the long list of liars – Nixon, Bush, Cheney, Boehner, McCain, Palin – take your pick

March 26, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. T'SAH from Virginia

GO RACHEL – DO IT!!!

You will WIN – Do you realize how many people LOVE U!!! Your are a TRUE Journalist that SEEKS the truth before RUNNING OFF with the mouth!!!

hey BROWN COW don't mess with madDOW – you'll get BURNT!!! She will make you look like a 5th Grader (or rather Sarah Palin...LOL) in a Debate... Wow, I would LOVE to see that!!!

March 26, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. Allen in Hartwell GA

Actually Rachel might be just what Massachusetts needs. Let's see how things are going for the fair-haired Republican in two years.

March 26, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  11. Tony

Nobody knows who Rachel Maddow is and nobody cares.

Scott Brown 2012, he'll have my vote again :-)

March 26, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  12. Tony in Maine

Run Rachel, run

March 26, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  13. John A. Worth

Brown has joined with the standard Republican MO.... just lie. Who cares if what you say is true.... Does it scare folks, does it incite anger? Yes...good, let's run with it. Sick politics. In 30 years, there will be NO Republican party.... Hope you are around to test my theory!!

March 26, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  14. Buck Wheat

Wow, i always thought she was a guy?

March 26, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  15. Joseph

I can't believe that the Massachusetts Democratic Party would nominate this ultraliberal fool to challenge Scott Brown. This women does not have any brain or intelligence or experience except having her ultraliberal view and big/bad mouth. Make no mistake, her anchoring of the MSNBC program is a total failure and a waste of money for MSNBC. There are only abour 500,000 people watching her program in any given night in a country with more than 300 millions of population. Go ahead, make my day!

March 26, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  16. joe

RAchel is too smart to be in Congress. We'd need to remove at least half her brain and eradicate her memory of past history.

March 26, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  17. Angi's mom

Senator Brown thought that if you incite fear and hatred, the money rolls in to fight off liberalism AND lesbianism. Brown is a fool and no match for Rachel Maddow.

March 26, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Frank

Rachel Maddow is an angry idiot. Enough said!

March 26, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. Jackalope

Brown, a fashion model from Massachusetts, is trying to raise money from white conservatives in the South (the Republican base) by falsely claiming that his opponent in the next election will be a left-wing lesbian member of the 'media elite'.

I guess this is something the conservatives fear. Curiouser and curiouser.

March 26, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  20. notfooledbydistractions

Scott Brown is lying – trying to scam money from folks.

Pretty slimey Mr. Brown.

March 26, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. desertique

Let's send money to Rachel to counter the smear campaign against her.

March 26, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  22. Mike

Coward.

March 26, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Luvinia Knight

Well, Scotty, grow up. This is not how it is done with rational and just politicians.

March 26, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. Ken, AZ

Brown is a true republican; he doesn't let truth and facts get in his way, either.

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. Rival Church

Politics today needs someone smart, informed and with a common sense approach that Maddow possess. Her intelligence leaves the vast majority in Washington looking like grade schoolers.

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |