March 26th, 2010

MSNBC host denies Senate run

'I'm not running against Scott Brown,' Maddow wrote.
'I'm not running against Scott Brown,' Maddow wrote.

Washington (CNN) - An MSNBC host has taken a full page ad out Friday in The Boston Globe slamming Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts.

Rachel Maddow accuses the senator of making things up, and smearing her to raise money and, essentially, insulting Massachusetts.

In the ad, Maddow, who lives in Massachusetts, criticizes Brown for a fundraising e-mail that he sent out this week where he suggests she might challenge him in 2012.

"[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, the political machine in Massachusetts is looking for someone to run against me," Brown wrote supporters. "And you're not going to believe who they are supposedly trying to recruit – liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow."

Brown's e-mail then takes a shot at the cable news host. "I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," he said.

Brown cited an obscure Boston-area blog post from March 5 as the source of the Maddow rumors.

Firing back, Maddow wrote in her ad, which she also posted on her blog that Brown, "made that up."

"I'm not running against Scott Brown," Maddow wrote. "I never said I was running against Scott Brown. The Massachusetts Democratic Party never asked me to run against Scott Brown."

"It's just not true. Honestly. I swear." The cable news host added that Brown "never even tried to find out if it was true."

Instead, Maddow claimed Brown is smearing one of his constituents to "scare donors into giving him more money." Maddow said, to her, that feels like Brown is insulting Massachusetts.

Brown won his seat in a January special election to fill the remaining three years of the late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy. But he must face voters again, in 2012, to win a full term.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Rachel Maddow • Scott Brown
  1. rdepontb

Senator Brown,
    Off to a good start-that is, until you pulled this prank a few days ago. You kept using the lie, even after she made it clear, in public, that she was not running. What the heck?

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Now thats funny

Maddow only wishes she was smart enough and well known enough to run for any office. Look at her ratings. She is a nobody.

Funny how this so called lady can dish it out BIG TIME. Slamming Sarah Palin tot he point of being silly. But whew, when someone smears her,,,, she does not like it.

Do not inflate your ego Maddow,,, you could not get elected dog catcher.

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. Lori in St Pete

scott brown and the reichwing are TERRIFIED of Rachel because she's smarter and better informed than they are. She also has a larger fan base than the entire GNOP combined.

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. Mike

I always thought Rachel Maddow was a man. Oops.

Anyway does anybody really watch her or care what she thinks?

Scott Brown because MA residents were sick of the usual BS they were being fed by their beloved Mr. Kennedy. What a hypocrite of all hypocrites. It was always good for the country as long as it didn't affect his lifestyle, or view from his multi-million dollar estate (windmills in the Atlantic).

At least Scott Brown has shown some sense of willingness to buck not only his own party but the "politics as usual" theme that radiates throughout the rest of Congress. We need more like him and less people like Rachel Maddow wo soils the airwaves with her verbal feces.

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  5. Bridget

Rachel Maddow is one smart woman. She's too good and too honest for politics.

March 26, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Lou

Is it a man or women?

March 26, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. tilleli

good job Rachel,

March 26, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. Tribal Shaman

If the MA Democratic Party had any intellegence or vision at all for the Commonwealth's future, it would ask Ms. Maddow to run for the Senate against Scott Brown next election.
    Ms. Maddow would be the kind of newly- needed politician who could view today's complex issues from the perspective of her citizen-constituents, not her corporate bankrollers.
    She is that rare intellelect which is able to hold two diametrically opposed ideas in her mind simoultaneously, yet still reach a conclusion that would satisfy Jeremy Bentham and John Stewart Mill in the flesh.
    I'm a straight, independent male and I'd not only back her with my money, but hell yes, I'd vote for her too! Yea Baby!

March 26, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. IVOTE

Not a good start toward re-election Scott Brown. I don't believe the "Tea Party" will be able to roll into town and keep you in office. Rule 1.......You are an elected official represented Massachusetts where students are taught to read with understanding; how to research voting records etc... Maybe you and Stephen Lynch should make a deal. I watch Rachel each evening and find her to be exceptionally honest and wise. Pick another target next time.

March 26, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  10. Mario from Pittsburgh, PA

Rachel, you should run! We need good progressive sanity in Washington and not "Mr Centerfold" politics of lying and smearing.

March 26, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. Americansnotparties

Looks like Scott has received his Republican playbook.

March 26, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. IVOTE

Not a good start toward re-election Scott Brown. I don't believe the "Tea Party" will be able to roll into town and keep you in office. Rule 1.......You are an elected official representing Massachusetts where students are taught to read with understanding; how to research voting records etc... Maybe you and Stephen Lynch should make a deal. I watch Rachel each evening and find her to be exceptionally honest and wise. Pick another target next time.

March 26, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. enlightened

Maddow is too intelligent to be a politician.

March 26, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. James Miller

Do I care ????

March 26, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. Jim

Brown is a Republican. Republicans make things up and deliberately lie to mislead, distort and create fear. That's what they do. It's in their DNA and it's always about the money. God help America.

March 26, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  16. Jquen

disapointing....

March 26, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. Emma

Way to go Rachel. I wish I was in Massachusetts and I sure would vote for you.

Count my vote -- 1

March 26, 2010 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  18. rickster

another day, another republican lie.

March 26, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. ART

This is the kind of stuff i expect from a playgirl centerfold

March 26, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Perry

Don't mess with the Maddow!

March 26, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  21. Ann

I just love her! She should run, she's honest & very smart! That is pretty hard to come by in politics...esp when you are looking on the Republican side of the fence.

March 26, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. rickster

i just love the anti gay is that a man or a woman comments from the republican flacks here. why don't you people grow up. all you are doing is proving you don't have any valid points.

March 26, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. DOBBS RETURNS

Maddow for Senator? Sounds like a sure loser to me. Her tv ratings
    need all the help she can give them. So maybe she's the one making
    this up.

March 26, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Massachusetts Conservative

So let me get this straight....Maddow spends probably $20,000 on a full page ad in the Globe. (Hypothetically of course...it is the Globe and seeing how starved the Globe is for ad revenue, I'm sure they gave a very nice "Liberal" discount). In said ad she slams our new Senator for campaign tactics that have been used BY BOTH SIDES for years and years. Then she fails to mention that it was a liberal group's website that not only started the rumor, but fanned the flames of encouragement to get her to run. Next, she UNFAIRLY lumps Senator Brown in with the fringe-right "Death Pannels" and "Birther" groups.

It is so incredibly disingenuous to lump Brown in with a comment that starts "It's standard now for conservatives to..." You call yourself a journalist? Is that "Fair & Balanced"? And now all the Lefty readers of the Globe are all riled up with comments on this board "Republicans make stuff up all the time..." Give me a break.

Oh, and extending the invitation to come on your show. Nice touch. You are so gracious and accepting of your political guests who don't share your viewpoints. I will give you credit though...at least you have an opposing viewpoint on once every 2 or 3 weeks, unlike your cartoon-character colleague Keith Olbermann. But your smug attitude and "holier than thou" persona comes shining through in those interviews.

So if you are genuine about your invitation, I hope Senator Brown accepts it. I'd like to see a good spirited interview about THE ISSUES facing the country...not some "he said – she said" bickering.

I am one of the small handful that actually watched your show. You are famous for editing soundbites from those on the other side to prove your point. I watch your show for one reason...to get a good laugh at the end of a stressful day. Biased "journalism" at its' absolute WORST

March 26, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. floridadave

This guy just took office and he is already running against imaginary opponents, using smear tactics, lies and the like. Isn't this kind of behavior called PARANOIA? I guess he figures he will be defeated in two years and better get as much into his "retirement account" as possible.

March 26, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |