March 26th, 2010

MSNBC host denies Senate run

'I'm not running against Scott Brown,' Maddow wrote.
'I'm not running against Scott Brown,' Maddow wrote.

Washington (CNN) - An MSNBC host has taken a full page ad out Friday in The Boston Globe slamming Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts.

Rachel Maddow accuses the senator of making things up, and smearing her to raise money and, essentially, insulting Massachusetts.

In the ad, Maddow, who lives in Massachusetts, criticizes Brown for a fundraising e-mail that he sent out this week where he suggests she might challenge him in 2012.

"[B]efore I've even settled into my new job, the political machine in Massachusetts is looking for someone to run against me," Brown wrote supporters. "And you're not going to believe who they are supposedly trying to recruit – liberal MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow."

Brown's e-mail then takes a shot at the cable news host. "I just don't think America can afford her liberal policies," he said.

Brown cited an obscure Boston-area blog post from March 5 as the source of the Maddow rumors.

Firing back, Maddow wrote in her ad, which she also posted on her blog that Brown, "made that up."

"I'm not running against Scott Brown," Maddow wrote. "I never said I was running against Scott Brown. The Massachusetts Democratic Party never asked me to run against Scott Brown."

"It's just not true. Honestly. I swear." The cable news host added that Brown "never even tried to find out if it was true."

Instead, Maddow claimed Brown is smearing one of his constituents to "scare donors into giving him more money." Maddow said, to her, that feels like Brown is insulting Massachusetts.

Brown won his seat in a January special election to fill the remaining three years of the late Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy. But he must face voters again, in 2012, to win a full term.

Filed under: Popular Posts • Rachel Maddow • Scott Brown
  1. jackson

Rose Fugits March 26th, 2010 3:38 pm ET

Do gays and lezzies have some kind of appeal as politicians in our present debauched society? Looks like all that behavior under the spotlight could revert back to the handbook of the past in this country where we experienced prosperity...ie the Leave it to Beaver age. The US needs to put priority on people that will stand up for decent human behavior rather than that which one usually finds in the public toilet as the place where it should proliferate.
    ____________

Rose,

Yeah, better we should follow the moral upstanding conservative american values displayed by such wholesome heterosexual figures like Mark Sanford and Ensign, right? Or how about Newt "have affair with the woman who will be wife #3 while still married to wife #2" Gingrich?

But funny how you don't mention them at all, you hypocrite. Sexual preference has nothing to do with it, party affiliation has nothing to do with it. It happens no both sides of the aisle. So, either be fair and call it on *both* sides of the aisle or sit your hypocritical butt down and STFU.

March 26, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

gt March 26th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

i wish she would run,,, she would get embrassed
    -------------------------------

REALLY? "GET EMBRASSED"?!!!!

I've read your comments gt. YOU should be EMBARRASSED.

March 26, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. AmFem

We libs are making a great mistake by assuming these moronic tea baggers even know what a Rhodes Scholar is. Look it up, morons.

March 26, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. Vic of New York

GO FOR IT RACHEL ! ! !

Scott Brown is nothing more than a FAKE made-for-the-media politician: a fake male model with a fake "pickup truck" cast in the same fake veneer as Sarah Palin.

The Mass-achoo-setts voters who elected him can revel now in how he managed to pull the wool over their eyes!

March 26, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. June

'Why oh why can't candidates run for office by letting us know what they are about, what their plans are, what they believe, solutions to problems.......and not sling mud at the opposite candidate/party . These politicians/candidates make me ashamed to say I'm an American when I go overseas. On occasion I will say I'm Canadian, just to avoid a sneer. Actually, I don't even have to go overseas to be ashamed of our politicians....both parties, but especially the Republican side.

March 26, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Jason

Scott Brown is an idiot. He and Palin are proof that any moron can get into government. Rachel Maddow is a Rhodes Scholar and she has her Ph.D. from Oxford. Palin has a BA in radio/television and it took her 5 different schools in 6yrs to finish it.

March 26, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. D. Bunker

"You have got to be kidding!! Maddow is 10 times more UNqualified for public office than Palin ever was or is now."

Wow! Answer me this crazy person: If you think Maddow is so unqualified why is it that she covers real facts and Palin can only make things up?

March 26, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. gypsydaveywithablowtorch

Run Rachel, I'll move to Massachusetts just so i can vote for you!

March 26, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Shibumi

Looks like someone that was kicked off the movie "Revenge of the Nerds". Poindexter, anyone?

March 26, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  10. Dennis F.

She has already stated the last 2 days that she is NOT running against him and does not plan to. Why don't you guys contact her for information?

March 26, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. Zip

The main difference that distinguishes Maddow from Brown is that it's not easy to find a lie or anything misleading on Rachel's show. Believe me....I've tried.

March 26, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Allan Nichols

I'm a right centrist voter – a a lifelong Republican voter. Right now, there's an ongoing problems in the GOP, and I've got enough criticism of the far right extreme of my own party to keep very busy. I don't need to spend time on Maddow.

I'll take this little time – right or left, extremists of any stripe, I ignore entertainers who confuse having something entertaining to say with having something important to say.

Limbuagh and Beck are buffoons; Maddow doesn't earn any better respect.

March 26, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Neither Democrat nor Republican

I want to see proof of Rachel Maddow's graduation from Oxford.

March 26, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. David

Ha! CNN should rename the Political Ticker the GOP Lies. First Cantor, and now this. Lies, lies, lies. Cracks me up how the losers leave insulting comments. By the way, Rachel would chew him up and spit him out in a debate.

March 26, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. vic, nashville tn

Scott Brown try to raise money on this story

Now republicans know hard to raise money for their campaign
    They put us in this financial mess

March 26, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. kim

Check out Haik U Glen Beck site for some glib humor and food for thought.

March 26, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. ic

The Beauty of being a Republican or should I say the curse. Once he is in office he has to lie like his fellow Republican friends to be noticed, what a shame. I actually think Rachel has more sense than any of the Republican leadership put together.

March 26, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. Ken in NC

Brown throws Rachel's name out there to try getting contributions and then he runs, hides and prayes she does not run against him as he knows she is one smart cookie and he knows she could beat him. As far as a comparison of her to Palin, well Palin is not even on the same Planet as Rachel.

March 26, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. Matt

I'd vote for her in a SECOND!! GO RACHEL!! One of the smartest classiest people on TV today!

March 26, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Grog in Ohio

Wow... Is Brown really running that scared already that he pulls a Palin and makes up nonsense out of thin air to manufacture enemies?

March 26, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Jay Kay, Minneapolis

Judging by some of these clueless posts, it's clearly obvious some people didn't even both to read past the headline. You're just as bad as the Democrat and/or Republican you're griping about.

March 26, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. a7m

Brown's email is another example that Republicans are whining victims. They always claim there is someone after them. Can you find me one Republican who is not whining about something?

March 26, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. Lori in St Pete

Get over yourselves reichwingers! You're just angry because you KNOW Rachel is smarter than you, and she laughed her a$$ off when you guys called YOURSELVES teabaggers.

March 26, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. Lori in St Pete

Okay wingnuts, since your riechwing screaming heads have told you that Rachel's facts can be "reputed", give me one example of her being wrong.

March 26, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Peter

Liberal wingnut Is that a boy or girl?

Rose Fugits Do gays and lezzies have some kind of appeal as politicians in our present debauched society?

What idiots...! That's what being a conservative means...if you can't attack a persons qualifications, and have nothing constructive to say...then attack them personally...just like Brown did...

These two are live examples of "conservatives" not believing on anyone's rights to be who they want to be and be allowed to do so.

Lets face it, rights (as right to be gay, right to have insurance, etc) are not part of the conservative agenda, they call themselves "The Right". but don't have much use for the word....

Liberal wingnut , Rose Fugits, and the rest of the low class...learn how to be human beings, you may like it....

March 26, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |