March 26th, 2010

Pelosi still waiting for the birthday gift she really wants

Washington (CNN) - After more than a year of wrangling with the White House, the Senate, and her own House Democratic colleagues, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi finally got to sign final health care reform legislation on her 70th birthday and send it to the president to sign into law. But as much as Pelosi called signing the bill "a birthday privilege," she's still still waiting for the present she really wants - a pool table.

The Speaker told reporters after the bill signing that her husband wasn't sold on the idea of the pool table, so she enlisted her grandchildren to lobby him. "They are going to work on pop, which is my husband."

Pelosi was still hopeful she'd get her birthday wish, and is headed home California to celebrate with her family.

To mark the occasion, Pelosi's House colleagues sang "happy birthday" and presented her with a chocolate cake, her favorite. House Ways and Means Chairman Sander Levin, D-Michigan, joked afterwards that passing health care reform "was not a piece of cake."

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Jerry

Her gift will come in November, its a life time pension with cost of living and free health care. This is only a dream for most Americans and thanks to her new health care bill all tax payers will pay even more.

March 26, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. RCasson

She's 70? Wow. Looking fabulous Madam Speaker!!!!

March 26, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. Anonymous

What does she want for her birthday, another face lift?

March 26, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Preston kathy

Happy birthday nancy you are going to have to get toughter nancy with the repubks

March 26, 2010 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. Bubble of Sanity

Nancy Pelosi's birth certificate may say seventy, but she's got a lot of replacement parts that are younger than I am.

But whatever, I think it's so sweet of CNN to remember this much-beloved woman on her special day. This is what makes this Ticker so special.

You folks are just so sweet.

March 26, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. OBOZO IS AN IDIOT

I don't condone violence, but if someone were to slap this old bat silly, I have to admit I would enjoy it.

March 26, 2010 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. Liz

Say what you will about Madame Speaker but SHE GETS THINGS DONE!

March 26, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. normajean

I know just how she feels.... I'm very old and since I was a teen ager, the only things I REALLY wanted was cowboy boots, a pickup truck and a pool table...I did get the boots, am still waiting for the pool table and truck. Good Luck Nancy and Happy Birthday.

March 26, 2010 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. dan smith

I'd love to give her a birthday gift-early retirement,and a stint in prison for violating the Constitution.

March 26, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. carlos

Have a Wonderful Birthday Madam Speaker and enjoy your well deserved rest,likewise to ALL of your fellow congressmen and women

March 26, 2010 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. Dems NEED the poor

Whenever you're having a bad day...just remember that somewhere in this world there is a Mr. Pelosi.

March 26, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  12. dan smith

Hey Pelosi guess what? Since you Communists got this bill passed I've quit donating
    money to charities, I will no longer help any welfare people and I encourage ALL Conservatives to do the same. If you want to donate money to charity give it to ST. Judes or animal shelters. Liberal welfare people need to pay for getting this garbage of a bill passed.

March 26, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. dan smith

If I were running a business and had to cut jobs because of this garbage bill lazy Democrats would be the first to go.

March 26, 2010 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. faithful democrat/jacksonville

Happy B'Day "House Speaker Nancy". You look great to be 70th and I hope your life is full with joy and happiness. May God continue to give you courage and strength to be the very best you can as a wife, mother, grandmom, daughter, sister, friend and "House Speaker. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I hope you get the pool table... :).

March 26, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Joseph

To be honest, this women has prostituted or sold out over 85%-90% of Americans who have paid for their health insurance premium to cover their family. Now they will face higher tax and higher premium and poorer medican care in order to share their care with those who don't. This is economy 101, tax will be higher and your premium will go higher and the care you receive will be poorer due to the cuts in Medicare and reimbursement rates to the doctors and hospitals, When OBAMA forces the insurance companies to cover those high risk patients and small business employers to cover their emploees, they will pass all costs to the consumers, YOU, and keep fewer than 50 people in their payroll. All OBAMA hurts are YOU!

March 26, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Monster Zero

________________________________________
    Of course now Pelousy can have her cake and eat it too, the only thing is, that as usual for a progressive liberal, someone else picks up the tab for the cake!

BYE-BYE OBAMATRON!

March 26, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. Shirley In California

Happy Birthday Nancy. I hope you enjoy your special day in spite of the ignorance you have faced in trying to work for the American people.

March 26, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. Allen Hussein

Haha. You rightards got punked by a 70 year old grandmother.

March 26, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. Sue

Is Pelosi's face frozen like that in the picture, due to the botox?

Even in that picture, she looks nuts.

March 26, 2010 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  20. Death Panel Sarah

Let the reptilicons eat the cake, first, just in case....

March 26, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Chip Pudims

I'd love to give her my spot in the unemployment line.

March 26, 2010 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. Gerry NH

Good news now she is going to bribe and extort her grand children. What a class act.

March 26, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. Dave, the Truthteller

For my birthday gift, I want to see this Botox Queen fired...

March 26, 2010 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  24. Blkman

N. Pelosi.........................she looks goooooooooooooooood for 70. Congrads Madama Speaker. Your doing a great job.

March 26, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Truth-Bomb Thrower

How about a swastika necklace, Nancy? It would certainly match your politics.

March 26, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |