March 26th, 2010

Pelosi still waiting for the birthday gift she really wants

Washington (CNN) - After more than a year of wrangling with the White House, the Senate, and her own House Democratic colleagues, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi finally got to sign final health care reform legislation on her 70th birthday and send it to the president to sign into law. But as much as Pelosi called signing the bill "a birthday privilege," she's still still waiting for the present she really wants - a pool table.

The Speaker told reporters after the bill signing that her husband wasn't sold on the idea of the pool table, so she enlisted her grandchildren to lobby him. "They are going to work on pop, which is my husband."

Pelosi was still hopeful she'd get her birthday wish, and is headed home California to celebrate with her family.

To mark the occasion, Pelosi's House colleagues sang "happy birthday" and presented her with a chocolate cake, her favorite. House Ways and Means Chairman Sander Levin, D-Michigan, joked afterwards that passing health care reform "was not a piece of cake."

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. Illy

"So she enlisted her grandchildren..." should be changed to "so she enlisted the grandchildren she asn't eaten yet..."

She doesn't eat cake. She eats people. And craps out socialism!!!!!!!!!!!

March 26, 2010 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  2. james

The birthday gift she really wants - her 12th facelift?

March 26, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  3. Sheena

I am about to vomit

March 26, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Bobbie in Maryland (Could I PLEASE get out of moderation???)

Give her the pool table, pop! After what she has been through, SHE DESERVES IT!!
    Obama '12

March 26, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Charles

Maybe with the new health care reform, she'll pay less for botox.

March 26, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. Enjoy it while you can

Enjoy it while you can witch. You will be voted out of office, and all of your little flying monkeys too.

( I bet some of you will twist that into a racial slam on Obama, notice I used plural, so do not get your liberal feathers ruffled )

Your days are numbered. And it has nothing to do with Dem or Republican. Look at your poll numbers sweety. You and Ried are lower than the whole congress and senate.

Follow the Yellow Birck road my deary,,,, maybe the wizard will send you home, we know the voters will.

March 26, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Mike

Nice shock collar, piglosi.

March 26, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Angi's mom

While we're celebrating nonsense news (?), I want to wish my friend, Kimmi R. a happy birthday.

March 26, 2010 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  9. SLP

Nancy Pelosi. Has there ever been a more evil woman to hold a high office in this country? As much as I detest her, let me say this. I am a conservative who is against anything that President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and any other progressive leader of this country is promoting these days. However, I would never committ or condone any act of violence against them or any member of their family. I am sure that most of the conservatives who are protesting this hijacking of our country wouldn't either. There is a growing discontent and alarm for what is being done to our country that scares these progressive leaders to death. They know that we are wise to their ploys so they are using the actions of a few crazy people to stereotype a whole group and most of you stupid liberals are falling for it hook, line, and sinker. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but I plan on using my vote in November as my weapon against the governmental control that seems to be permeating our lives.

March 26, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. Truth Squad

Pelosi could have a thousand pool tables if she wanted.

The double-standard the media and liberals have with those who have great wealth is astounding.

Bush was consistently harranged by the media and the left for coming from a family with money.

Pelosi's husband is a very rich and no one cares.

March 26, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. josh

when pelosi goes home she should stay there.

March 26, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. Squealy

Happy Birthday, Nancy! You've done good, girl, and you deserve whatever your heart desires! Hope you get that pool table!

March 26, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. MNpeep

Don't they know that chocolate cake is bad for you? carrot sticks!

March 26, 2010 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Perry

Girlfriend really looks good for 70.

March 26, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. so rich even obama couldn't hurt me but you middle class folk should worry

god I can't stand this women, im so happy all you "really" wanted was a pool table! im sure shell get a gold and diamond encrusted one! shell have PLENTY of time to shoot pool come Nov.

March 26, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Akmed

nows what does pelosi want? American in eternal flames? Also, what makes her so privileged anyhow, hell I dont even get a day off work for my birthday for the past 27 years not to mention not even a party, not even a beer bought for me LOL and this princess... oh yeah, Im just another nobody compared to her just like everyone else posting here.

March 26, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. jimrytown

every pocket needs the final 8 ball in front of it. Hope you get it. We got what we want. The HRbill may not be perfect, but at least it is a start.

March 26, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. billincalif

HEALTH CARE REFORM as passed is a piece of somethin' all right but it ain't cake. CONGRATS on your big win. It only took a year of arm twisting, threats, and brow beating of YOUR own party for them to fall on their swords for you and the EMPEROR. YOU WILL CERTAINLY BE REMEMBERED. R.I.P. DIMRATS 2010.

March 26, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. David

Dang she looks great for 70, is this right??

March 26, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. Ryan

She's 70??? WOW... weather she had work done or not (doesn't look like she has...nothing major anyway) – she looks great!

Add to that, she's been the best speaker of the house than any other so far... you go Nancy!

March 26, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. Bill Will

This is a great time for her to retire and loooooonnnnnggggggggg overdue. Congratulations and adios.

March 26, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. Erika

She looks fantastic for 70!!!

March 26, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. ThinkAgain

Happy Birthday, Madam Speaker! Thanks again for all your hard work on behalf of the American people!

March 26, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  24. Mark L.

Madame Speaker, if I may, I would like to wish you a VERY, VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!! And MANY, MANY, MANY MORE TO COME !!!! You are the BEST...{:o)

March 26, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  25. Shibumi

The old hag is worth millions and she has to ask hubby if she can have a pool table? Total BS.
    If she gets one more facelift, her pubic hair will become a goatee.

March 26, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |