March 27th, 2010

Tea Party protest goes to Reid's hometown in Nevada

ALT TEXT

Tea Party activists in RVs started arriving earlier this week at the rally site, an undeveloped piece of land down a mile-long dirt road. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) - Caravans of Tea Party activists will roll into Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's hometown in rural Nevada on Saturday to rally for his defeat in November.

Sarah Palin, who derided big government spending and "the Obama Pelosi Reid agenda" on Friday, will headline the event dubbed "Showdown in Searchlight."

The stop is part of the latest cross-country protest against big government and health care reform. Activists hope the protest will carry a strong symbolic message.

Reid, the four-term Democratic incumbent, is from the small town, which has one gas station and a McDonald's restaurant. Earlier in the week, activists in RVs started arriving at the rally site, an undeveloped piece of land down a mile-long dirt road.

Full story

Filed under: 2010 • Harry Reid • Nevada • Tea Party movement
  1. Joe

If stepping over the line into the realm of self satire is their goal, they've succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Are we sure that this isn't really a Saturday Night Live stunt?

March 27, 2010 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  2. Death Panel Sarah

I don't fear big government......
    I fear big business!!!!

March 27, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. j

I still have hope that this racist and bigoted group of people will begin to grow stale to the American people and the media. The tea baggers are NOT representative of America and American ideals.

Senator Harry Reid has done a great job in the Senate and he deserves to keep his job. I hope the people of Nevada concur.

March 27, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. Sue, Vienna, VA

Obviously the tea party people don't have a life if they have time to run around the country spreading lies, hatred, and violence. It's sad that things have come to this point, but to these rabble-rousers, I guess ignorance is bliss!

March 27, 2010 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. Death Panel Sarah

Government is our only protection from the devices of the rich and big business.
    What would this country be like without the regulations that keep them from doing what they want or what is more profitable???

March 27, 2010 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Marie MD

To those of you who think the repugs are not hypocrites listen to this. joe the plummer, YES, joe the plummer will be campaigning in Searchlight along with the quitter and mcnasty.
    Isn't this the same man who not that long ago threw mccain under the bus? Same as that woman who crossed out mccain's name from a visor?
    As a kid I always wanted to travel the US from shore to shore in a RV., but if I was a right wing teabagger lemming how could I do that if I don't believe in my government? I would need my social security check, the roads to travel on and the freedom to do and say what I want. Well, I guess we still have most of that, but I am NOT a hypocrite, or at least not as bad as these people.

March 27, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. Pete

Don't these people have to ever go to work?

March 27, 2010 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  8. In the West

Reid is a better American than all the teabaggers put together. He works for the good of others, they work only for themselves. Reelect Reid!

March 27, 2010 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  9. once upon a horse

wonder how many folks will get spit on, be called slurs, and have rocks thrown at them this go around. The "tea party" folks need to be working on their image if nothing else. I'm sure that there are plenty of folks in that movement that would not do the things I just mentioned, but since they allowed the lunatic right wing intolerants to hi-jack their party this is what I think of when I hear they are on the move again.

March 27, 2010 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  10. Blackbarbie

"activists in RVs started arriving at the rally site, an undeveloped piece of land down a mile-long dirt road.", good...because that's right where the belong.

March 27, 2010 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  11. Turnabout is Fair Play

Right, I see, most of us are either renting an apartment or barely making ends meet with our mortgages but you teabagging idiots obviously have enough money to not only own homes but afford RVs to go around the country arrogantly annoying people. Must be nice to have so much money that you have all this free time to bother others and try to force them to your way of thinking, what do you expect of the well-off crowd of ignorant reichwingers though...

March 27, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  12. John

Tea Party protest goes to Reid's hometown in Nevada

Don't any of these Tea Parrot flakes have...er....like...jobs?

March 27, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. Bill from GA

Maybe Searchlight will show some good ol capitalism and jack up the prices big time.

March 27, 2010 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. David

Would love to attend and see Sarah, it's going to be a great event I'm sure! One would hope they would take these programs around the country.

On a side note, I'll be glad when that idiot Reid is gone for good.

March 27, 2010 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  15. stevetall

Don't these people have jobs? Shouldn't they be out doing something that benefits America like 'working'? Look into it, nerds. It's what makes the economy grow!

March 27, 2010 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  16. brian in denver

Your story reads, in part: "Activists hope the protest will carry a strong symbolic message..."

Right. The only message these trailer-trash clowns are conveying is one of ignorance, hate & fear. Unfortunately they are being encouraged/incited by the likes of Palin, Boner, Limbaugh, Beck, Coulter, et al.

March 27, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. Jeremy

HAHAHA you guys are shakin in your boots! Look at all the defensive postures... my my. Face it, it's revolution time, you asked for it, you got it.

March 27, 2010 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  18. Turnabout is Fair Play

jacejohn March 27th, 2010 10:47 am ET

Thank you, thank you, tea partiers. We need to get Harry Reid voted out of his seat. He couldn't care less what his constituents wanted and instead pushed this monstrous healthcare bill through. The majority of Americans don't want it, business doesn't want it, and we don't want Harry Reid to ever get another opportunity to go against the wishes of the American people
    ---------------------

Okay insurance company shill, which one are you the CEO of? United HealthCare? Aetna? Blue Cross, Blue Shield? Come on fool, fess up, your entire post sounded just like something from one of those companies.. Don't bother denying it either. If you aren't the CEO of one of them then hopefully God will put some intelligence in your head because your false Gods known as Fox Noise and Rush Lyingbah has you thoroughly snowed.

March 27, 2010 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. joec

All you libs are utterly ridiculous. You seem to forget about Obama's friend and mentor Bill Ayers who actually planned and helped execute bombings of the Pentagon and a New York police station. These Tea Party folks are well within their right to have peaceful gatherings whereever they want. And I have yet to see or hear audio or video of the Tea Party actually being violent or racist. The party that always brings up race is always the dems for political purpose. America was fooled once by Obama but it wont happen again. It wont be because of race but because of deficit spending and failed government regulation on business that will force more jobs overseas. It's the economy stupid.

March 27, 2010 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. KO

Political movements need to be ultimately generated by ideas, not just anger. They have no ideas, which is why they will ultimately fade away.

March 27, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  21. NC

I think its great that the Tea Party activists are getting under the skin of the socialist, liberal democrats.....they are making the American people think of what the socialist, liberal democrats have done and are doing to destory our great country.......vote out the crooks in November......Vote for a Republican in 2010 and 2012. Lets get this wonderful country back on track and back to the American people..

March 27, 2010 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  22. Mike

Wow – The Tea Party activists rolled up in all of their luxurious RV's to protest health care for America! It never ceases to amaze me how the upper class tries to ensure the middle class and poor are left with very minimal. I'm curious to what type of jobs these folks have because they have lots of free time on their hands. I couldn't protest if I wanted because I have to work for a living.

March 27, 2010 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. hampster

Gee Whiz I thought there were a lot of tea party members. After seeing the pictures of tea party members desending on Senator's Reid's home town I now realize all tea partiers live in recreation vehicles and travel from one place to the next. Pretty sneaky way of making it look like there are a lot of tea party members around the country!

March 27, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. paul oregon

if people were smart enough and could remeber beyond there noses how we got into this mess and went to the poles and voted. maybe we can take our country back from the crazyies.

March 27, 2010 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  25. Roberto

I cannot believe that people think that Obama is a socialist, communst, etc. Those people who think that way should go to Venezuela and Cuba and they will come back and say WOW
    Obama is not a socialist. If He was, they won't be able to speak up and will be sent to jail right away.

March 27, 2010 11:43 am at 11:43 am |