March 29th, 2010

CNN Poll: Americans divided on repealing health care law

Most Americans disapprove of the health care reform law, a new CNN poll says.
Most Americans disapprove of the health care reform law, a new CNN poll says.

Washington (CNN) - Most Americans disapprove of the health care reform law, but that does not translate into majority support for the "repeal and replace" strategy backed by most GOP leaders, according to a new national poll.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday indicates that 56 percent of the public disapproves of the new legislation, with 42 percent approving of the bill that President Obama signed into law last week. Tuesday the president signs into law fixes to the original legislation that were approved by Congress last week.

Full results (pdf)

More than three in 10 questioned say they dislike most of the bill, with one in four saying they oppose all the proposals in the new law. Fifteen percent say they approve of the new law without reservation, with another one in four saying they support the new reforms but feel they didn't go far enough.

When it comes to health care, Republicans have made "repeal and replace" their battle cry, and Obama has said he welcomes the fight. At an event in Iowa City, Iowa, last week, the president scoffed at the GOP strategy, saying, "My attitude is - Go for it."

According to the poll, 47 percent agree with the Republican strategy and want Congress to repeal most of the major provisions in the bill and replace them with completely new proposals. But 50 percent are fine with the current law or want Congress to go back and pass something that would increase the government's involvement in health care even further.

The 47 percent who favor "repeal and replace" is significantly lower than the 56 percent who say they disapprove of the bill's passage last week.

"That's because opposition to the new law comes in many different forms and not all of them benefit the GOP," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. "Some Americans continue to say that they disapprove of the bill because they want even more government involvement in health care than the bill created. Only a quarter are against the entire bill; one in three support at least a few proposals in the new law. And a handful of Americans appear to dislike the bill but don't want Congress to spend any more time on health care."

The survey indicates that half of all Republicans questioned say they are angry about the bill's passage, with another 38 percent saying they are displeased. By contrast, 29 percent of Democrats say they are enthusiastic, with another 50 percent saying they are pleased.

"The new law seems to have riled up Republicans without really getting Democrats fired up. Half of Republicans are angry about the new health care law; most Democrats favor the law but only one in three are enthusiastic about it," adds Holland.

According to the poll, the number who say the law would not help anyone in the country has dropped in the past week. Thirty-seven percent of the people questioned in a CNN survey released a week ago said the reforms would not help anyone. That number has dropped to 29 percent in the new poll.

Forty-seven percent say that this is a major victory for Barack Obama with another one in five calling it a minor accomplishment and one in three saying it was not a positive achievement.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted Thursday through Sunday, with 1,009 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Filed under: CNN poll • Health care • Popular Posts
  1. ENOUGH HATE FROM THE RIGHT!

that's because 56% of these idiot people are fooled and scared by these right wing angry, racist idiots who care about no one but themselves and their OWN AGENDA! screw them! I voted for Obama, and this is exactly what he said he'd do and he did it!!! independents seriously need to make up their minds on which side of the tracks they want to be on...they're the REAL problem in this country! always flip flopping between candidates and so easily fooled and manipulated by republicans and their like!

March 29, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. The Other Michael in Houston

I believe that America has 350 million residents, so unless you poll everyone, than at best this poll is comical. I have yet to come across a person that states they dislike this bill. Sure, they could have done more but for the most part, everyone I know says it is a good start. Oh and by the way Tea Partiers, nice to see that more than half of you are recieving welfare, unemployment or some form of social security from the very government that you are blasting. Your violent rants and acts of lunecy has nothing to do with the U.S. Government and has everything to do with the color of the Presidents skin. I love to read your idiotic blogs with quotes like "you will not vote for President Obama in 2012", you didn't vote for him in 2008! Those of us who did are pleased and he will get a second term to finish his work. We will see to it. I cannot wait to see the looks on your face when you find out in November that the Republicans will lose even more seats in Congress, and finally the Republican Jihadist Terroist establishment will be phased out of American Politics once and for all. Say bye bye.

March 29, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. KMAN

Making policy decisions based on the COLLECTIVE UNINFORMED/MISGUIDED OPINION of the American public is simply stupid! Polls are much like bowel movements ... another one is going to come along soon and it will be different!

March 29, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  4. Mac from Louisiana

Misinformation is the greatest tool of the opposition. It works really well when you have an entire channel devoted to it (Fox News)

March 29, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Otto

I don't understand the method used to poll and most importantly, who they asked. When using the term "Most" in the headline, this is incorrect. Did they ask me? no! How many millions were not asked, no one knows. Where were these polls taken? They say it was a sample but sample of what and where?
    Were they carried out in mostly Red States or a mix equally of Red and Blue.
    It would have been much better stated: Recent poll taken within States XY&Z showed the following results. Do I trust these polls? Not as far as the North is from the South.

March 29, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. I'm from Missouri -- show me

I'm confused about all these polls. I have seen other polls saying the majority of those responding approved of the health care reform bill. You need to temper your article with a note that this poll may show the result you are reporting, but other polls disagree. I continue to hope that the media is unbiased.

March 29, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Carmelle

you see that? 25% disagrees with the whole. 25%!!!! If you believe the Repubs, that's "the American people"

Many want nothing less than a Single Payer system

Many sees the Public Option as the only real competition

Many support Medicare buy-in

But their voices don't count right? Many of those see that Obama did not fight hard enough for either one of those things, so they are not happy to have something that looks like a corporate give away to ins companies.

March 29, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Tony

Typical far-leftist propaganda that CNN regularly peddles now.

56% oppose the legislation, that's more than the percentage of voters who support Obama. It's pretty clear that they don't want this. Sure, that's a "divide", a divide that's bigger on the side against Obama than the side that's for him.

But CNN's poll is biased, as expected. Clumped together in the poll are two wildly different ideas: "But 50 percent are fine with the current law or want Congress to go back and pass something that would increase the government's involvement in health care even further." 47 percent explicitly supported the GOP option, and with some nudging the people who are okay with legislation may end up being against it... or for it, but the percent is completely unknown since CNN didn't specify.

March 29, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Luke Brown

The problem with a multimillion lobbying campaign of misinformation and lies about a piece of legislation is that people believe that stuff.

This new law does not include universal coverage. Millions will be left out. The government is not paying for, managing, or otherwise dictating health care choices. None of that is in there.

These polls are meaningless unless they can demonstrate that the respondents know what is actually in the new law.

March 29, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Nadia Wilson

Why don't you find the real facts before you oppose the President. What does he have to gain by this, except help millions of Americans. Why don't you understand people that this health care is the best thing that has happened to America. I think we are the dumbest people on Earth, the kleast informed and least educated and that is how the G.O.P wants to keep us.
    Wake up America! This is our last chance.

March 29, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. John R. Rodriguez

Oh yeah, and we all know how the research at CNN has always been so spot on and accurate.

March 29, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. Stephanie

Even in first year statistics you learn that a scientific poll can not be published or touted unless the breakdown of the demographics are included. I checked in the accompanying background and this is not the case. How do we know the breakkdown of Republicans/Democrats/Independents???

March 29, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  13. Connie

My husband, soulmate and best friend passed away 9/5/2010. I am sure that his illness was brought on by stress! He worked 30 yrs and retired from from a company that went bankrupt a few years later.. The courts allowed the very people(CEO"S) whose bad decissions brought the company down, to get a hefty bonus and of course keep all bennifits, yet took away ALL of our health insurance and his life insurance from the company. I saw first hand what this did to my husband. The grief I have been living with is "beyond words":.I hope and pray that I follow my husband long before the 2014 deadline for every American to be required by law to have purchased heath insurance! With the very small amount of money I have coming in each month, I will NEVER be able to purchase health insurance. I can't keep up now with the cost of living. We seniors even lost the small cost of living raise for S.S.! I don't even care anymore. "Golden Years" !! What a farce! Work all ones friggin life to be screwed out of promises made, but not fullfilled. Makes me wonder how :some: people can even look at themseves in the mirror each morning! Take it all, I give up!

March 29, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  14. normajean

To those who want the health care plan repealed. Picture this...You are sick, feels like you are dying,so sick..you go to Emergency,a small room ,crowded with other sick people ,baby crying , parents trying to hang in there, it's so crowded,no place to sit except on the floor, you've been there for two hours already and feel you're getting sicker...people are getting taken care of every hour or so but more keep coming in, another ,hour noisily passes and you feel worse,more babies crying,it's getting hot in here and a bit smelly with all the babies, another hour and you feel so bad , you don't know what to do but wait and wait and get sicker. How do I know, really, I was there and here's the kicker, I even had private ins.Do you want health care? or would you rather try Emergency?

March 29, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  15. MsDp

Well, no one asked me, but I think this is a great accomplishment and I think this bill will help a lot of American people.

March 29, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  16. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

As a Navy Veteran, I believe every American should have access to the same medical benefits I enjoyed while I served my country. Some of the folks I served with (by their own admission) never regularly saw a doctor or dentist before they entered Basic Training. And guess what? That was a government run program. My father (a WW2 Vet) receives his regular medical care through the VA facility in the city where he lives. Guess what? That is a government run program, too! I suppose that means our government may have a clue as to running a health care program!

March 29, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. MJ

Imagine that ... People are worried about this huge Government takeover of Health Care. They still don't know what is in the bill. Some are saying that children with preexisting conditions will be covered now, others September, legal analysts say 2014. Do you think our elected officials should have read this? It does mean that Insurance Companies can still deny coverage or make the cost unaffordable. How about the trip to Afghanistan – Did Obama explain the decrease in benefits to our Military – the really pathetic increase in pay? These men & women are defending our Country and Security. It is a disgrace. Yet, Government keeps it's Cadillac Plan and gets a raise.

March 29, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  18. Lucas

It seems that the media's attention is always on opinions and emotions. The ones who yell loudest and make the most extreme accusations are the ones with the most coverage.

The media is supposed to cut through these non-issues and get to the story. What are the facts? What are the numbers? What are the sources? What are the motivations? Why are most Americans ignorant to what is actually included in the bill and how it will affect them?

Everyday there are countless polls asking people questions about things that they know almost nothing about. I don't know how this is considered news. Newsrooms everywhere are in a financial crisis and they're paying people to poll. Maybe they should pay them to do research and real journalism instead. Leave the polling to the politicians.

With Op Eds dominating the cable news arena and Fox News and MSNBC dominating the extremes it seems that CNN should offer something different. Real Journalism. Justy give us the facts.

March 29, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. Peter Vaguely

I would wager that 90% of those polled don't even know what's in the bill and 99.9% haven't read, even a synopsis of it. Time will tell on this issue. Heck, 75% of people polled don't agree with the US Constitution

March 29, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. S7aS

I would really like to see where these polls are coming from. If anyone knows please share with me. In my own voice, I'm personally not pleased with this bill. I would have really liked and known plenty of other people who would have benefited from the public option. However, with all the shenanigans that went down in Washington and all the drama that's been thrown about for the past two years, this bill is better than nothing at all. At the very least 30 million more people will be covered. That's still leaves a distressing 15 million people behind, which is not a job well done to say the least, but it's still a step in the right direction. The bill did not accomplish everything, but there are some very good things in it. Furthermore, to all of the loud-mouthed Republicans and Tea-partiers shouting to repeal the bill, I really ask if you're honestly willing to go back and give the insurance companies power over yourselves with pre-existing conditions, and being able to knock your kids off your plans when they're in college and need healthcare the most.

March 29, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. JA/TN

it is a media thing, considering the mess the republican party put America in during the Bush years, two wars, budget deficit, complete meltdown of the banking and financial markets, I give President Obama an "A", the only time the GOP has agreed with this president is in supportig the war efforts, otherwis it shold change its name to the NOPER Party

March 29, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Nadeem

Time to move on Healthcare is done, lets deal with Wall Street and the Economy.

March 29, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. Buckthorn

Did this or any other poll try to find out whether people actually know what is in the bill? If most people don't really know what the bill says, or even what the main provisions are (which is what I suspect), then these polls are basically useless, because they're assuming responders can knowledgeably answer the questions.

March 29, 2010 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. Thomas

Done Deal !
    Move on to Banking Reform , the housing market and economy wont rebound until this is accomplished !

March 29, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. Allen in Hartwell GA

Funny, the way I read the results more people are in favor of the bill than oppose it. I guess it's all in the way you see things.

March 29, 2010 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |