March 31st, 2010

Obama energy plan opens Atlantic and Gulf drilling

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama unveiled plans Wednesday to open large swaths U.S. coastal waters in the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico to oil and natural gas drilling - a move that could please the energy industry but upset the administration's environmental supporters.

The administration plan would include lifting a 20-year ban on drilling off the Virginia coastline, while putting the clamps on sites that had been approved off the southwest coast of Alaska.

Full story

Filed under: Energy • President Obama
  1. MJ

Obama said that McCain & Bush's idea was "bad for the country". Now he is taking credit for what they had proposed. Not too original, Obama. Give credit where it is due!

March 31, 2010 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  2. Lori in St Pete

I voted for ya Mr. President, but if you even think about drilling in the Gulf, you can forget about being reelected in 2012, as you'll lose everyone who voted for you, and the drill baby, drill crowd who didn't vote for you sure won't vote for you either.

March 31, 2010 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  3. rachel

Oh gee I know not to listen to anything President Obama says in 2012
    cause whatever he says he will do the opposite. He chastized Hillary about the mandate now we have it. Said offshore drilling would do no good now he wants it.

March 31, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  4. Donald, Toronto

I say cudos to President Obama and his administration on the matter of oil drilling on the east coast while protecting the wild life areas in Alaska. I think environmentally but the amount energy that the USA needs will not be effectively met in the near future to keep the USA energy independent. The opening up of the respective areas for drilling is a necessity while alternative fuels and other energy sources are develop but fossil fuel should be relied on less as the aternatives become more viable. Will republicans applaud or criticise.

March 31, 2010 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  5. Bob in Pa.

He obviously is looking to make up some room in the polls. Sorry to say that even if I aggree with him on these items, it will never make up for the mess he and those in Congress made of Health Care.

March 31, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

JOBS, JOBS, JOBS and this is only the beginning. Thank you Mr. President.

March 31, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. Steve in Ct

When environmentilists heard President Bush suggest drilling in the wilderness of Alaska or when Governor Palin said "Drill Baby, drill" they screamed to high heaven. Let's see what they do with this threat to the pristine shores of Virginia.

March 31, 2010 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. Mary

I am very disappointed. I voted for Obama because I thought, unlike all others, he would stand up to big business and big Oil, but alas, he is turning out to be just like all the other politicians in Washington. May the animals of this world forgive him.

March 31, 2010 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. Mike, Albany

We had an active and vibrant research program in alternate energy sources going under former President Carter in response to the first oil embargo in the 70s. Unfortunately, it was a Republican, Ronald Reagen, who shut it all down. If he hadn't done that, we would be 20-30 years ahead of where we are now and probably already marketing the technology to other countries, and 9/11 might not have happened. Great job there, Republicans.

Now we are scrambling to develop this technology before other countries do. Although I'm not thrilled about a policy of off-shore drilling, it might help to provide the bridge we need between an oil-based economy and one based on cleaner, renewable energy sources. Frankly, however, I think we are poised to lose this competition because Americans no longer believe that math, science, and engineering are important fields of study, and we certainly do not excel in these areas. If we do not change our view on this and really push to develop tomorrow's energy technologies, then we will assuredly become what we are already turning into: A second-rate nation. Wake up, America!

March 31, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Ant tired of grasshoppers

I'll believe this when I see it. If it happens, I'll applaud the man.

March 31, 2010 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. Terry, FL

About time our President faced up to reality, even though it's another broken promise. I just wonder what else will be in the bill to cause Republicans to vote against it.

March 31, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  12. so rich even obama couldn't hurt me but you middle class folk should worry

you know I absolutely hate this president, I don't know him personally so I hate his policies and what he stands for, with that said this guy is the smartest, greasiest, slimy politician I have ever seen! now he is gonna wrap this cap n trade bill up in a nice little drill now bow and sell it! and the media is in his pocket so they are gonna just lay down and let him!!! brilliant!!!!

March 31, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  13. Fed Up

Why are we not drilling in Alaska? Is it because there is a lot of oil there, and it may be easier than getting it from the Gulf and Atlantic?

March 31, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. Dave

Yeah, right. This is a marketing ploy to prop up declining poll numbers. The proposal actually authorizes studies of the impact of drilling on the environment. It is a buy-time strategy before cap and trade kicks in!!!!

March 31, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. Ancient Texan

Me thinks this is more show than go. Announcing surveys and studies doesn't mean drilling in the foreseeable future. Just a platform to start discussion on "CAP and TAX".

March 31, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. Pudle

This is a short-term answer to a long-term problem, and while I see that alternative energy resources are being contemplated, I believe the emphasis on those resources really needs to be put at the top of the plan and the strategy.

In the meantime, I have seen the affects of drilling on Texas beaches, and I dread to see what could occur on Florida's beaches and the damage to Florida's wildlife and environment. The State of Florida is already under siege due to overdevelopment and the destruction of much of its natural habitat, this will only add to that long, dismal slide.

March 31, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. Clint

It's official – Obama is a closet Republican!

March 31, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Enough

The environmentalist wacko's can't be too happy about this.

March 31, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  19. TCM

wow...CNN censoring posts on the other OBama-drill article; after all, it was an item that McCain backed in the election and Obama was against. So, he's lying if he says anything different...he's on tape spewing from the teleprompter. It's a shame that the other blog here only posts pro-Obama posts, from liberals who can't see beyond the end of their narrow noses. This was a republican platform idea, and the fact that Obama is pitching it, isn't a surprise. To have created it on his own? Highly unlikely.

March 31, 2010 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. SocialismBad

I guess Obama is trying to get his poll numbers out of the crapper! Also trying to salvage the 2010 elections. If it requires Pelosi's and Reid's help he may be out of luck though. I'm sure the Republicans will help him get it done!

March 31, 2010 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. Jamey Columbus

The single best decision of his presidency!!!!!!.... why not open them all up? If he can shift to more moderate policy... im a believer...

March 31, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. sonny chapman

A comprehensive approach that incorporates Republican ideas to a serious problem facing America–I'm sure the Repubs. are going to fall all over themselves to support Obama. Jim DeMint will be first in line !

March 31, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. LacrosseMom

That's all well and good, but we also need to invest and research renewable fuel/energy.

March 31, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. Enough

The left wing nuts must be squirming that he is taking the advice of McCain/Palin to Drill, Baby Drill. Glad to see him do something right for once, bet the Democrats will give him crap over this one.

March 31, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  25. FancySmiley from Conyers

Let's see how the right spins this into a negative – especially since they were once all for it. I am anxiously awaiting their response.

March 31, 2010 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |