April 8th, 2010

Palin hails Steele as 'independent outsider'

Sarah Palin told Sean Hannity Wednesday that she supports RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

(CNN) - A week after Sarah Palin asked Republican National Committee officials to remove her name from an invitation that suggested she might attend a series of GOP fundraising events, the former Alaska governor made clear she is a strong supporter of the organization's embattled chairman, Michael Steele.

"I support Michael Steele. I am glad he is the leader of the party, administratively," Palin told Fox News' Sean Hannity Wednesday. "If those within the party are choosing to go a different direction, his term is up in a number of months and they can vote someone else in. But I think he is doing a great job."

The comments come amid speculation Palin is seeking to distance herself from Steele and the RNC after news surfaced the organization expensed a night out a risqué Los Angeles nightclub for donors earlier this year and ran up large bills for luxury hotel stays and private jet travel.

But a Palin adviser told CNN that Palin's request to be removed from the invitation for the events - timed to coincide with this week's Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans - was simply because she never planned on attending the events in the first place. Palin is slated to speak Friday at the SRLC, a gathering of top Republican officials and an early cattle call for potential 2012 presidential candidates.

In her comments Wednesday, the former Republican vice presidential nominee also hailed Steele as an "outsider" who is trying to change the Republican Party.

"The machine is tough I think to penetrate," she said. "I think it's been good to have an independent outsider to create some change in the Republican Party. I support him."

Filed under: Michael Steele • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. GODZILLA1

Everytime she opens her mouth she just reinforces her image as the "wild Alaskan dingbat"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2010 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Pathetic Palin of course didn't run up "luxury bills" on the RNC nickel... what a pack of hypocrites.

April 8, 2010 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Michael Steele-Congratulations, you have just commited campaign suicide by having her support you. Good luck.

April 8, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. ColoDem

She likes him because they are just the same.

April 8, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. John Hennessy Black

Palin will spport ANYTHING that will further DIVIDE the nation, put MONEY in her pocket and her FACE in the news...

April 8, 2010 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. Madness

I am amazed at how little news is in the "news". Who cares about all of this? I would LOVE to hear these folks talk about specific issues and recommendations for change that are more than glib generalizations. I really HATE politicians. There should be a gag order on every one of them.

April 8, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Mark

Did you see the HUGE crowd who came out to hear her spaek in Minnesota? WOW!!! She couldn't have fit anymore people in that arena.

April 8, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. Jeff

Palin is an independent thinker too... Her thoughts are not dependent on reality.

April 8, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. LacrosseMom(the real one)

"Independent Outsider"?????? What???? Please someone advice this poor woman, that Steele happens to be a ....... Republican!

April 8, 2010 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. Chris

OMG, why do we still entertain this lady? Seriously, folk why in the world are you listening to a lady that really has NO formal education on World issues or for that matter a limited understanding of domestic issues (she quit her JOB to make money). This lady and her hubby are out for the money and celebrity that has been afforded to her over the last year. Seriously, this say so much about the mindset of our Country that it is ridiculous because for people to really try to portray this lady as someone that is worth political stature is crazy!! I mean has a veil been placed over these idiots face and they can’t see the light or see what a JOKE THIS LADY IS?

April 8, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  11. me/ca

So it is ok with her that Steel blows $ donated for the Party at a sex bondage joint? That women is more confused then I thought. Say one thing do another, yeh that her motto.

April 8, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  12. John Christensen

Mike and Sarah. What a pair. He can go to bondage strip clubs while she can smile pretty and use single syllabol words written on her hand. We need leaders with the intellectual power to innovate and the courage to bring about change that doesn't necessarily benefit only the richest 2% in the nation. I wouldn't let Ms. Palin run my kids lemmonaide stand.

April 8, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  13. Anthony

I am sorry but the GOP is getting a little to weird for me. What is going on with you guys? Please come back down to reality.

April 8, 2010 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  14. FactCheck

Every time Sarah Palin opens her mouth, a Democrat gets his/her wings. She is the gift the keeps on giving.

April 8, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. Larry

sad that the party of no is being run by Steele and Palin

April 8, 2010 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Cat, Holt, Mo

Who care what this box of rocks has to say. She is dumber than dirt. Twice as stupid and has NO brain. In other words an IDIOT.
    She is a bigot, she is trying her best to divide this country. She needs to go back to her hole in the ground and stay there.
    Everything that comes out of her stupid mouth is ugly.

April 8, 2010 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  17. Luke Brown

If the Republican Party was normal, the last thing an embattled party chair would want is an endorsement from a certifiable whack job.

Unfortunately for America, the GOP is a place where her endorsement might actually matter.

April 8, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. monasterymonkey

Palin, the ultimate opportunist. What could she possibly say that would command $100,000 to say it?

McCain created this monster. For that alone he should be run out of town on a rail.

April 8, 2010 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. BJ, Minneapolis

I don't care one way or the other about Chairman Steele, but I think he would be wise to resign his position with the republican party in light of the hateful and racist position that party has taken since Obama was elected President. In my opinion, he shouldn't want any affiliation at all with that party. When the dust clears I think he will become their next target. Who cares what Sarah Palin thinks?! I can't believe that what we know about that lady that anyone in their right mind would listen to a word she says. McCain created a monster. A money hungry monster. That's just my opinion.

April 8, 2010 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  20. Helene

Talk about covering your derriere.

April 8, 2010 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. Sue B

Palin loves the spotlight and will do anything, absolutley anything, to stay in it. Interesting how her supposed stance on "family values" went out the window with this one. Maybe the RNC could book her at that club for a fund raising pole dancer or one of the lesbian bondage actresses. I think she's a bit long in the tooth for it, but I'm sure a lot of men would still be willing to fork over a lot of cash to see it....

April 8, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Frank

Does anyone care what Sarah ("death panels") Palin thinks at this stage, about Steele or any other subject? She is an ignorant and inarticulate maney-seeker and one of McCain's worst mistakes ever...

April 8, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Marie MD

Talk about the kiss of death. Run steele, run!!!!!!!!!!
    Still trying to learn to talk. That journalism degree that "she had" is still NOT workin' – ya betcha!
    "The machine is tough I think to penetrate,"

April 8, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  24. Terry From West Texas

Steele is like Palin. They both love the applause, the limos, the private jets, the banquets, and the adoration of the hayseeds. Neither can tell when they are telling the truth or a lie. They just know what to say to get the applause going.

I'm for a Palin-Steele ticket for the GOP in 2012.

April 8, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  25. Tori in Texas

So much for those Small Town Real American Family Values, eh Sarah? Please just go away. You are not a Governor, a leader, a politician... you and your family are just a bunch of grifters picked out of obscurity by a old man in the beginnings of dementia. No one in your family actually works for a living. How about you, Todd, and Bristol get a job and discover what REAL Americans have to do to keep food on their tables, pay rent, the electric bill, buy diapers and gas, send our kids to college and save for retirement. You are just another rip-off artist trying to scam cash off the backs of people who can't afford $10,000 to take a picture with you. You're a very selfish and greedy person. How sad your kids are gonna grow up just like you. You're an embarrassment to hard working wives and mothers everywhere. You disgust me.

April 8, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |