April 8th, 2010

White House's top health care spokeswoman resigning post

(CNN) - Linda Douglass, a top spokeswoman on health care for the Obama administration, said Thursday she is leaving her post.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the President, and leaving this great team is bittersweet," she said in a statement. "After nearly 2 years of work that has been exhilarating and grueling in equal measure, I am going to step off the treadmill for awhile and rediscover the experience of dining with my husband on a regular basis. It has been a privilege to be part of the health care team, and I will be cheering with pride from the sidelines as this historic law takes effect."

Douglass, a former ABC News correspondent, joined then-Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign in 2008 and went to work for the administration after Obama was elected.

White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer said Douglass "will continue to be a valued advisor to this President and this White House."

– CNN White House Producer Jamie Crawford contributed to this report

Filed under: Linda Douglass • Popular Posts
  1. Larry

She was without fail a very qualified and eloquent spokesman, whether being interviewed one on one or in conjunction with an adversary. Very effective mouthpiece for the administration.

April 8, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. Agnim

You go, girl, as sharp as a tack! lol

It's incredible watch Linda, Jarret, and there's one more woman whose name I can't recall, think and talk sense so fast. lol

April 8, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Obama the Liar

Get out while the gettings good.

April 8, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Obama Victim

doesn't want to be around for the November diaster??

April 8, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Jon

Leaving a rapidly sinking ship? Hurry or you are too late!

April 8, 2010 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. wally

Good luck Linda and thanks for telling the truth about Health Care while all the folks on the right lied.

April 8, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Jim

I don't know why I never trust the "spend more time with my family" reason for leaving a position in politics. But I imagine her job was really grueling.

April 8, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  8. Liberalism is a mental disorder

You can only continue to LIE and Distort the Truth for so long before it takes a toll on your sole – UNLESS you are BHO of course.

April 8, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. Old White Virginia Female

We have no idea of the sacrifices people have made at all levels to make insurance and health care reform a reality. Thank you for all that you and your colleagues have given.

April 8, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  10. Cliff

Wow. With a person of such insignificance leaving will the Nobama folks be able to continue their dismal programs of socialism?

April 8, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  11. johnnyhouse

I think she has done for us about all we can afford.

April 8, 2010 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. terry,va.

All of them should bail and hang their head in shame as they have screwed this country. Of course this is Obummie's plan to create a nanny state. 47% of those that file paperwork don't pay federal taxes. 40% of those that file paperwork get back more more than they pay in all forms of taxes including medicare and social security. 10% of us pay 73% OF ALL THE MONEY going to the socialist government of Obummie. What's fair about that!!! Obummie is killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

April 8, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Thank you Mrs. Douglass for seeing it through to the end.

You're not a quitter, and you're right it was a tough fight but worth it. Watch from the sidelines as the millions that benefit from this new law become the spokespersons for it with their neighbors, friends, and family.

Kicking and screaming into the 21st century with the best President this country has EVER had Barack Obama!! Yes we can!

April 8, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. Suz

Well done, Ms. Douglass... you have done your part, and you've done it well. Enjoy!

April 8, 2010 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. simplefact

Linda,

Grueling indeed!

Thank you so much for your passion, dedication, and hard work! It has been our privilege!

Enjoy spending time with your husband!

Kind Regards!

April 8, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Indy Pendent

Hmmm, will she go back to covering the "news"?

And wasn't the President just lamenting about all of the "misapprehensions" out there over his health care bill? Maybe his message wasn't clear enough so now he has to go on a tour to explain the bill? Sounds like someone lost her job...

April 8, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. BeverlyNC

Job well done in delivering healthcare rights for all Americans. I'm sure it was exhausting, took unbelieveable work hours, and was extremely frustrating in dealing with lying, obstructionist Republicans.

Thenk you for bring the People healthcare.

Republicans work AGAINST the working class of Americans in favor of elitist corporations, banks, and abusive healthcare companies. Democrats stood up for us and DELIVERED Americans decent and fair access to healthcare that also stops insurance company abuses and works for the People's best interests.

Thank you President Obama, hard-working Democrats who fought for us, and staff like Douglass who gave it her all to make our lives better.

April 8, 2010 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. PREDICTA

She resigned because Obamacare was making her sick, like the rest of us.

April 8, 2010 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Mike

I always wondered why the White House did not effectively sell the Health Reform initiative. Tough to know it was Linda's fault....because I like her.

April 8, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. Hugo

Haaaahaaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaa! Another rat jumping ship, hey I sold my car and quit driving so I canceled my State mandated auto insurance, if I quit going to the doctor can I cancel my Federally mandated healthcare insurance ? Can you see the difference there now?

April 8, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  21. allan

I hope she take Obama w/her, pelosi.

April 8, 2010 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  22. TCM

Great healthcare team? I hope she chokes on a chicken bone for helping to further indebt this country.....all the idiots in this administration need to resign..

April 8, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  23. Obama throws like a girl

I bet she got a job in the private sector... or maybe a lobbist job.

April 8, 2010 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. dcfromct

Pretty vague reason. Got to be more to the story. Come one CNN do some digging. I would bet she realizes how bad a bill it is and how destructive this massive debt creating nightmare will be.
    Our healthcare system which is better than any other country, can and should be improved but not at the cost of the tanking the economy. This administration and congress needs to stop the blind spending to push their agendas. Nothing has worked so far.
    They need to start small and show they can be trusted, they will listen to the people, work with Rep and Independents, not spend more than we have.
    Instead they have alienated everyone, and divided the country. Wake up Obama and LISTEN to what the people want, not your ego.

April 8, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  25. Rickster

Translation: "I helped cram this boondoggle down the throats of an unwilling populace and now I'm getting out of Dodge before the dire consequences kick in and I have to explain it."

April 8, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |