April 8th, 2010

White House's top health care spokeswoman resigning post

(CNN) - Linda Douglass, a top spokeswoman on health care for the Obama administration, said Thursday she is leaving her post.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the President, and leaving this great team is bittersweet," she said in a statement. "After nearly 2 years of work that has been exhilarating and grueling in equal measure, I am going to step off the treadmill for awhile and rediscover the experience of dining with my husband on a regular basis. It has been a privilege to be part of the health care team, and I will be cheering with pride from the sidelines as this historic law takes effect."

Douglass, a former ABC News correspondent, joined then-Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign in 2008 and went to work for the administration after Obama was elected.

White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer said Douglass "will continue to be a valued advisor to this President and this White House."

– CNN White House Producer Jamie Crawford contributed to this report

Filed under: Linda Douglass • Popular Posts
  1. JoJo

It looks to me some went along with him on his health care bill disagreeing with it. Wake up one morning and BANG what did I do, so long, I am resigning. I bet that one thing she did without being pressured.

April 8, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  2. DEE

She's gonna be cheering from the sidelines as this healthcare takeover takes effect...What is she nuts..The rest of us are CRYING OUR EYES OUT! typical lib...watch everyone suffer from high taxes and increased rates ....

April 8, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  3. Bare

I don't blame her. I'm sure lying consistently for that long can really take its toll on a person.

April 8, 2010 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Mike

More rats leaving a sinking ship before they are to badly stained by this administration for private sector employment.

April 8, 2010 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. LacrosseMom

Good. One down, many more to go.

April 8, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Gina from NM

CNN, you play up the headline as though Ms. Douglass is disgruntled about the health care bill! Sounds to me like she simply wants take some time to enjoy her personal life now that the hurdle been crossed. Your headline serves to incite the Fox News crazies.

April 8, 2010 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Robert Dayton

The first to leave a sinking ship. More to follow.

April 8, 2010 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  8. yen

She is one of my favorite reporters. Down to earth and to the point. Please don't go too far. Your service is invaluable.

April 8, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. whatnextnow

Good Excuse, I want to spend time with my husband, she probably has had enough of this corrupt administration and wants to get out before they are all taken to jail.

April 8, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  10. Not Blue, Not Red, but Purple

Rats from a sinking ship!

April 8, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  11. James

Is she an actual tulip?

April 8, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Run, chicken, run! You can't lie and cheat the American public any longer. Hang you head in shame!

April 8, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  13. DemPollster

...it went something like this...
    Linda: ...Mr. President, I'm tired of shoveling this --
    Barack: ...well, go find another horse stable, then...

April 8, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. Mike

One commie down, several more to go!

April 8, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. Doubtful

Keep an eye on all the Obama outgoing staff and loyalist. There are many new staff positions needed for the government health care administration with large budgets to manage. They ( Obama administration) will need to fill them with loyalists. Follow the people and you will be following the new (taxes) money for the programs.

April 8, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. Roger

Yup another one bites the dust. They go to Washington to help Odumwa shaft the American people then run like H off into the blue with their "Bonuses". Sound familar? Hope and change really is NO Hope and us in Chains!

April 8, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. West Coast Conser

Whats the definition of a 'True Traitor' on all levels....see: Linda Douglass

April 8, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Joanne Michels

I must say the bigots on the right are really showing their ugly heads today! They have spent so much time, energy and money on distortion they have no idea what the real truth is. Where were all you big mouths when GWB was spending us down the toilet with all of his unfunded wars, tax breaks for the rich and prescription coverage for seniors. Oh, that's right is was a right wing republican idea and those are always OK.

April 8, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  19. Betty

Well I think we have another person who has had her gut filled with hurt from all the dishonest crap this woman has seen. Everyone out in this great country knows that Obama has renigged on everything he has promise and still doing his da-nest to destroy everything we have gained from the honest to god fearing public, how many lives were taken just to keep our country safe and a country to be so proud of and now the Radical president wants to destroy everything. I pray God will be on our side when November 2010 rolls around. I will be waiting and watching for June when the 3 supreme justices will view and check to make sure Obama is a United States citizen. We just know he is not, so let him tuck his tail between his legs and get the hell back to Kenya. I will always consider him a RENIGER. Betty

April 8, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. Dave

When they can no longer keep up with a shovel or pitchfork, and it starts getting higher than their boots, they always put a good spin on it as they leave saying "It's been fun, buy I need more personal time". Translation:I'm going to be a lobbyist where I can make the REAL money!"

April 8, 2010 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  21. Betty

another good thought. It seems so many people are now calling in and wanting to know how they get their "free health care", it seems they were made to believe it is NOW!! How long will it be before the Reniger puts all the blame on the Rep.s and Independents? What a tale Obama will spend on this big one!!! Betty

April 8, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  22. Larry L

The bitter right-wing finds so much to attack. Hate is a full-time job. I recall the main reason the Republicans left office during the Bush administration was pending jail time.

April 8, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  23. brian in denver

Thanks for a job well done, Ms. Douglass.

April 8, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Great job, man are repulicans brain dead, Bush screwed up this country, Pres Obama is doing a good job cleaning up bush's and darth vaders mess!

April 8, 2010 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  25. John Michael

I have come to believe that there is no longer even a thin veneer of civil discourse anymore. People anonymously spew their hatred and vile lack of manners all over the Internet and smugly sit there at their computer thinking that they've actually added something of worth to the world. The lady wanted to be with her family after getting accomplished what she set out to do. I'm not sure it's newsworthy, but she certainly isn't deserving of the hatred and ignorance coming from a great many of you.

April 8, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |