April 9th, 2010

Jindal: I won't run for president

'I've got the job I want,' Gov. Jindal said Friday.
'I've got the job I want,' Gov. Jindal said Friday.

New Orleans (CNN) - Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal told a hometown crowd Friday that he will not make a bid for the White House.

"I am not running for president of the United States,"Jindal said at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference. "I've got the job I want."

The three-day event is billed as the largest GOP gathering of party officials, operatives, activists and strategists prior to the 2012 Republican National Convention, when the party will formally nominate its candidate for president.

While the 2012 election may seem far in the future, early jockeying is already underway, and the conference is considered the first real cattle call for possible Republican White House hopefuls.

Seven other possible contenders for the White House are also speaking at the conference. They are former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee; former House Speaker Newt Gingrich; Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, chairman of the Republican Governors Association; Texas Gov. Rick Perry; Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, who was a 2008 Republican presidential candidate; Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana; and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania.

Jindal, who is considered a rising star in the GOP, is up for re-election in 2011, just as the battle for the Republican presidential nomination will be heating up with a series of debates and plenty of campaigning.

Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

Filed under: 2012 • Bobby Jindal • Louisiana
  1. vijay

Too bad Jindal. We don't want you. Go home get some rest.
    VJ
    Hayward

April 9, 2010 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Jin

History shows that Louisiana is a great place to be a politician. It is a lot easier to fleece the undereducated in the name of the greater good.

April 9, 2010 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  3. trowaman

No, no, no wrong title CNN, check the quote.

"I am not running for president of the United States,"

He is a candidate running for re-election FIRST. One at a time. No one is running for POTUS at this time (check the FEC reports). That said, Jindal is in a unique position of having to run for re-election in Nov. 2011. A 2 month turn from a gubernatorial campaign to running and winning a presidential one is impossible enough.

April 9, 2010 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  4. once upon a horse

wise choice there Bobby...there is NO way I can see somebody like GOP boss Rush Limbaugh endorsing you....let's say it's probably due to a "complexion" issue and leave it at that

April 9, 2010 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  5. John Hennessy Black

I'm a 67 year old semi-retired engineer, and I really wish Jindal would run... maybe for dog catcher or a new TV show, like, "My Pet Goat."

There is no Republic Candidate out there that is even fit to shine President Obama's shoes...

President Obama is NOT going to have ANY problem, at all, defeating whomever the Republic Party puts forth as a candidate in 2012…

I only wish he could serve a 3rd. term!

April 9, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Danny Cali

Dream on it GOPer and I don't think so look last 8 years what's Republican did? the answer is nothing for America.

April 9, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |