April 9th, 2010

Obama brushes off Palin on nuclear deal

(CNN) - President Obama on Friday brushed off criticism from Sarah Palin that his agreement with Russia to restrict the use of nuclear weapons amounts to a dangerous sign of weakness.

"I really have no response," the president said tersely in an interview on ABC's Good Morning America. "Because last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues."

Speaking on Fox News earlier this week, Palin said the recently negotiated treaty with Russia - seeking a reduction in the number of nuclear weapons held by the two countries - is an "unbelievable" move and that "no administration in America's history I think would ever have considered such a step."

"It's kinda like getting out in the playground, a bunch of kids ready to fight, and one of the kids saying 'go ahead, punch me in the face, I am not going to retaliate, go ahead and do what you want to with me,'" Palin said.

Obama said Friday: "I would say to them is that if the secretary of defense and the chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff are comfortable with it, I'm probably going to take my advice from them and not from Sarah Palin."

The treaty requires approval from two-thirds of the Senate to go into effect. Some of the chamber's Republicans, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, have indicated that they are not ready to support the deal.

"The Senate will assess whether or not the agreement is verifiable, whether it reduces our nation's ability to defend itself and our allies from the threat of nuclear armed missiles, and whether or not this administration is committed to preserving our own nuclear triad," McConnell said in a statement.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Sarah Palin
  1. Molly Weasley

As usual, CNN doesn't bother to do basic reporting here.

The terms of this pact are nearly identical to the terms of past START agreements, including the one agreed to by the Republican mythical hero, Ronald Reagan. Not exactly "no president in America's history," is it, CNN?

Instead, CNN does their usual "he said, she said" kind of reporting and leaves out basic facts. I guess it's too easy just to regurgitate idiotic talking points, right?

Palin is willfully ignorant and a liar. McConnell is just trying to score cheap political points. I would hope that a major news organization would do better. Once again, CNN disappoints.

April 9, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  2. jdurand

Will this woman's idiocy never end?

The reduction of nuclear arms is something we've been trying to achieve for the last 40 years

Is she not aware of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty?

April 9, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  3. Awakened American

"Because last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues." Obama said this. Last time the American people checked, Obama’s not much of an expert on nuclear issues, either.

This is what happens when we elect an amateur into the White House. I can hear the rest of the world laughing at us, again.

April 9, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. Pat F

You know what, Obambi? Last time I checked, NEITHER ARE YOU!!

April 9, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. Chris - Denver

But palin lived in a state that was right next to Russia– she must be an arms-control expert! LOL!

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. Monica

Its both parties agreeing to restrict the use of – not eliminating nuclear weapons. Another stupid statement by Palin. We agreed on this before in history and as a nation we are not naive to think we can do without. Don't worry Sarah we will manage without your advice, thank you.

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. Bob

"No other Administration in American History, I think would never had considered this step" . Apparently Alaskan Barbie doesn't know Ronald Reagon did just this. This womens ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. David Schloss

I'm sorry, but neither is Obama. The guy went from being a "community organizer" (someone who hands out flyers) to the senate for 2 minutes and now President. Oh, wait he's a lawyer too. Where is HIS expertise?

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Carmela, Longwood, Florida

When Sarah Palin learns to read and grows up, she wants to be a politician. Meanwhile, everytime she opens her mouth, her foot goes immediately into it. Problem is, that there is sufficient ignorant idiots in this country to believe and to hang on every word coming out of her mouth.

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. Enrique

Sarah Palin is an absolute joke. It amazes me that so many people in this country consider her to be a credible leader. What knowledge on international nuclear policy could she have possibly gained from her 2 years as governor of Alaska? Though she clearly is not the sharpest tool in the shed, she's smart enough to have so many people fooled.

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Mike

Well, Sarah, I believe the Reagan administration (year 0 in the conservative renaissance) wanted to ultimately eliminate nuclear weapons. Palin has essentially negative IQ on these matters.

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. Brian

a 30% reduction of strategic nuclear warheads is not like saying, "go ahead and punch me , i'm not going to retaliate". Last I checked they are also reducing their warheads. and oh by the way the US will still have over 1,000 strategic nuclear warheads.

April 9, 2010 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. Dennis

More proof that Sarah Palin is an idiot. Why she continues to receive press coverage bewilders me – unless it's because the press enjoys showing what an uneducated and unintelligent person she is!

So, Palin says "no administration in America's history I think would ever have considered such a step". Oh really Sarah? Perhaps you shouldn't think – we wouldn't want you to blow a circuit! If you knew anything of any substance, you would know that the START I treaty was proposed by your hero, former President Ronald Reagan, and resulted in the removal of about 80% of all strategic nuclear weapons then in existence.

Come on Americans! Wake up! When are we going to realize that Sarah Palin is not only a lightweight, but her ignorance is so profound that it makes her dangerous because we are giving her a platform to make such inane comments! From her "foreign policy experience" (because Putin flies over Alaska on his way to visit us) to now nuclear disarmament – good grief!

Her 15 minutes of fame should have expired a long, long time ago!

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. Erick in AL

Palin is a JOKE! She does nothing but says the same old tired GOP talking points and incites hate and fear. She should get her act together and stop fooling her supporters when all she's after is MONEY.

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. Bill

Sarah Palin is not much of an expert on anything, except making money for herself off the gullible.

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  16. Dennis

Love it...Thank you for speaking out, Mr. President. If Sarah Palin had her way, she would have already nuked Iran and had us in yet another disastrous war.

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. Pat

Agreed, Palin has no experience with Nuclear weapons, but Obama's only experience has been the past year, that is all. I think the solution was somewhere between their two opinions. Like most things in this country, the best thing is a true compromise. But that don't happen in here because both parties are just stupid and serve a master of money and greed, not the people.

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. geecee

Is she asking to be punched in the face? Really! Anyhow, I am glad the President had the nerve to push back at that dingbat. She has been bad-mouthing him since the campaign started in 2007 and she is still at it. She forgot she LOST. All she knows how to do is incite anger and hatred toward our President. She needs to keep her big mouth shut. She doesn't know anything, especially about foreign policy matters. I am tired of listening to that shrill, shrieky, whiney, screechy voice anyhow. And what she says has no substance. She makes no sense, except to those tin-hat wearing nutjobs who listen to her trash talk and think she is some kind of Goddess.

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  19. Brandon in VA

Yeah smart move. I don't think it would have been wise to take advice from someone who can't even pronounce the word nuclear properly, or who thinks the ability to see Russia from her house constituted a strong foreign policy resumé.

April 9, 2010 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  20. Awsome

Palin is a scrub.

Looks like a small chunk of the GOP still want to act like children. It's so shameful.

April 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. Patrick

A wise man once said to me "do not argue with a fool, because a passerby may not be able to tell who the real fool is.”
    Soon enough people will be able to understand the rantings of a lunatic.
    And if it is good enough for Reagan ...

April 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  22. Jimbo

Wait, how is this like being on a playground and asking to get punched in the face? Even with the reductions called for in this treaty, the US and Russia would still have the overwhelming majority of nuclear weapons on the planet.

Trying to follow Palin's analogy, I think it would be more like two high school seniors standing on a playground with a group of elementary students standing around them looking to fight. Sure, an elementary school student could punch one of the seniors, but would it really make any sense?

April 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  23. Sunshine

When did Obama become an expert on nuclear issues?? From his church pastor in Chicago possibly? I guess being in politics for two years qualifies you to be President of the United States. All I know is before his term ends we will all be in trouble. He scares all of us.

April 9, 2010 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  24. ATPP

Here the morons go again, putting their warped beckian politcal agendas ahead of the common sense of reducing the nuclear threat in our world.

Please Sarah, GO AWAY! You ARE A FREAKIN' IDIOT

(Can't wait for Tina!!!)

April 9, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. jo

Regan did exactly what Obama is doing and he is the Messiah to the GOP.

April 9, 2010 10:27 am at 10:27 am |