April 9th, 2010

Stupak to announce retirement

Bart Stupak will announce his retirement Friday.
Bart Stupak will announce his retirement Friday.

Marquette, Michigan (CNN) – Nine-term Democratic Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Michigan, will reveal Friday he is retiring from Congress, several Democratic sources close to Stupak tell CNN.

The anti-abortion Democrat has been facing opposition from both the right and the left for his 11th hour deal with the White House that he says bans federal funding for abortion. The deal ultimately led to his decisive vote in favor of the health care bill.

Stupak first informed Democratic leaders last week that he was considering retiring. He has received calls from President Obama, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and others urging him to run again.

Democratic sources in Washington and Michigan say they fear losing Stupak, a historically popular Democrat in a sprawling conservative district, will mean likely losing his seat to the Republicans.

According to one Democratic source familiar with his plans, Stupak is expected to make the case that he is leaving because he has accomplished what he went to Washington in 1992 to do - pass health care reform.

He will also say he considered retiring several times in the past.

Responding to news of the retirement, National Republican Congressional Committee spokesman Ken Spain said: “After selling his soul to Nancy Pelosi, it appears that Bart Stupak finally found the courage to tell her no. The political fallout over the Democrats’ government takeover of healthcare has put the political careers of many Democrats in jeopardy thanks in-part to Stupak’s decision to abandon his alleged pro-life principles. Unfortunately for Pelosi, she was unable to strong-arm Stupak one last time as she becomes increasingly aware of the fact that her hold on the Speaker’s gavel is loosening by the day.”

Filed under: Bart Stupak • Popular Posts
  1. emma

Does Stupak still consider his vote on the health care legislation worth the 30 pieces of silver he received from Pelosi and Obama?

April 9, 2010 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  2. cspurgeon

Good Bye, Good Riddance.. Hope all of them Dems and Repubs go. Let the tea party take over the country. Then we will be in great shape. Scasrborough and Palin. Theres a ticket for you!

April 9, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. John

See what happens when you stand for what you believe in, regardless of party lines? You get run out of town... Sad state this "democracy" is in.

April 9, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  4. johnnyhouse

He is a good example why voters trust no one in politics. You still have people still serving and voting and making our laws who are charged with cheating on their taxes claiming loss of memory.People are tired of providing cradle to the grave benefits fo career politicians.Even the news media made every effort to let everyone know that some people owned a Senate seat or House seat and it was fobidden to anyone else on the grounds they had occupied it since the beginning of time and deserved it and the country could not function without them.It always happened to be a Democrat except one Republican House member in NC.Serving was supposed to be an honor not a career. We do not have dictator presidents and we should not have dictatorships in our congress.Should be term limits now .

April 9, 2010 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. Hans Guth

What a typical Conservative response by Ken Spain saying Bart Stupak sold his soul to Nancy Pelosi. These types of ridiculous comments from the right make me believe that the right wants to shove religion down my throat. I sit in the middle on many issues but when I have to choose between liberals who want to socialize medicine and conservatives who want to save me and my soul – I will choose the liberal side any day. At least I can have a conversation with them. Having a conversation with someone who can only think I am going to Hell because I don't believe what he believes is futile, boring and tiring. Believe me, I have tried.

April 9, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. SNAPPA

Goodbye and good riddence..

April 9, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. Eric R.

Even though he was not my favorite Dem. I am sad to see him go. Thanks for helping make history and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors

April 9, 2010 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Chicagoan

He's the first turncoat to jump-ship. There will be more.

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Evelyn Shobin

LMAO and another one bites the dust. I am beginning to regret that I voted for Obama *sigh*. My good friend Mary E Seigel (Sugar Pop) begged me to not vote democratic and I sure wished I had listened to her wise counsel.

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. cspurgeon

Morning Joe and Sarah palin. Hot diggety dog. What a country. and then of course we have Dana bump or whatever. She even looks like a shark as she smiles the latest dirt out of her mouth to feed the 24 hour Meduia.

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  11. Anonymous

He can't leave soon enough.The guy is a sellout.

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. Caleb56

Once again another democrat knowing his election chances going down the tube resigns with a reason we all know to be lies.

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. modinde

Coward, he knows he did the wrong thing and his polls showed he could not be re-elected so he bails out so as not to face the disgrace he earned!! And I'm an independent, so don't start quoting party lines. Pelosi and Reid will be next.. And the Stupak prediction of not running for another term came the next day after he and 10 others sold their vote.....

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. Tom, Bradenton,FL

Good another filthy rat is leaving, they know what is coming in November 2010.

April 9, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. Allison

I am proud to be one of Bart's constituents. Michigan's first congressional district has been blessed to have him speak for us for the past 18 years. I am deeply saddened by this news. It will be a long time before we have another congressman who cares so sincerely about his home region and its people.

April 9, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Chris

He's resigning to take the 7-figure lobbying job that Obama arranged for him.

April 9, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. Sally

So long sell out, who cares if you are a Democrat or a Republican. Hopefully someone who has principles they stand by will take your seat, again, be it Democrat or Republican. At least you'll know where they stand.

April 9, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  18. Joe citizen abroad

The National Republican Congressional Committee and Ken Spain should be ashamed of themselves for using this kind of language to describe Bart Stupak. He has neither sold his soul or abandoned his pro-life principles. The only thing he is guilty of is doing something constructive to improve life for at least 30 million Americans whose health and welfare is in jeopardy. It would be much easier to argue that Ken Spain and his bitter crew have sold their soul to partisan politics, as this comment proves. The Republican Party has hit a new all-time low. I miss the Reagan days, when Republican leadership could have civilized disagreement and debate with opposition, without getting personal. That's how this country and our political parties are supposed to work.

April 9, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  19. Brizzle

Bah, who cares, let him go. A Democrat that doesn't respect the right of a woman to decide what happens inside her own body is a Democrat nobody needs.

April 9, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  20. CHolmes

Lets see what kind of sweet payback he gets now... Join INVAIN.. Incumbents No, Vote Against Incumbents Now... regardless of party they all should go... even if it means your party loses.

April 9, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. stephen Pagnozzi

I feel badly for Stupak. Here is a fellow trying to do the right thing and gets slammed from everybody. We need a new generation of Democratic Representatives and Senators. We need for them to go on the attack on the republicans, attack with facts, make the republicans look stupid, which for the most part they are. The Democrats can do better than expected this fall, if only they would stop making excuses and acting lame. They need to be aggressive!!

April 9, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Mike C

Good riddin's. He is not retiring on his own accord. Obama's Chicago gang is forcing him to quit because he embarassed the President by forcing him to sign a worthless document that he did not want to. This is the price for opposing the MACHINE. We can only hope more who voted for Obama's socialism makes the same decision.

April 9, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  23. Sherri Lewis

I am from Bart's district and this is a real blow to Congress and the United States to loose someone who has integrity, common sense, and intelligence. He has served our district and the country well. I hope he will change his mind.

April 9, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  24. IEK

I can't say I'm totally surprised. But maybe if he had been honest about how the bill handled abortion funding, and what he felt it was lacking, he wouldn't have come off as such a turncoat. Spending months demonizing something to the public and then turning around and saying, "I'm ok with this" is never going to look good.

April 9, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  25. vlj in mn

Such a shame. Politics rears its ugly head once again. Voting for what a legislator thinks is best for the country is a thing of the past.

April 9, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |