April 10th, 2010

Gingrich says Palin 'tremendously important'

Gingrich is touting Sarah Palin's role in the Republican Party.
Gingrich is touting Sarah Palin's role in the Republican Party.

(CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, still considered among the most influential members of the Republican Party, is touting Sarah Palin's impact on the GOP and her future in the party.

"Sarah Palin is tremendously important right now, I mean for maybe 40 percent of the country, she personifies courage, clarity," Gingrich told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Both Gingrich and Palin were among the event's featured speakers.

"She's attractive, she's articulate, she has energy," Gingrich continued in the interview set to air Sunday on CNN's State of The Union. "Watch the size of her crowds…And I think whether that translates into something bigger later or whether she's just a very significant person for the rest of her life, she is a real player, nobody should underestimate her."

Gingrich also said Palin's prominence in the Republican Party will continue, regardless of whether she decides to mount a presidential bid in 2012.

"I think she has the potential to fill a niche for a very long time, particularly in an age of cable television and talk radio when you can build your particular market and your audience, and they can love you and come to your meetings and do things with you, and she's done, I think the last couple months she's been very impressive," he said.

But, should Palin decide to launch a presidential campaign, would she be a formidable opponent against President Obama?

"Well, if my choice was Sarah Palin or Barack Obama, I'd rather have Sarah Palin," said Gingrich.

1. Jim

Notice that Newt didn't say she was intelligent. I guess there are some lies he just can't bring himself to tell.

April 10, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. LG

The ability to draw a crowd to rallies does not equal qualified for the presidency. She is the William Jennings Bryan of this decade. A fiery speaker to connects with the frustrated and disaffected. Both click with an angry crowd that wants to feel that someone understands them and offers fast simple fixes and phrases - not careful long term solutions. Both however, would be very dangerous if they even got into the White House.

The more she speaks the less I could picture her ever holding her own in international negotiations or dealing with that 3 am emergency call (remember that line from the last election cycle?).

April 10, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  3. Rosemary from Canada

As a former teacher, I can pretty well spot ADHD whenever I see it, and I'll betcha that's what Sarah's got! On top of that, she is not a very intelligent person; however, she is quite skilled at manipulating others, and that's where the 'attractive' and down home, cliche-ridden verbiage comes in. She also displays a strong desire to make a buck: much more lucrative when touring the land, than running a state. Please, America, listen to your brighter selves!

April 10, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. charles

My last thought,

You liberals are soooo hung up on the way someone speaks. Errrr in Obamas case reads.

Why don't you just go down to the car dealership and find your next president? After all they are good speakers.

Personally I prefer someone that is honest, has values and speaks from the heart. I will always trust that individual over a good car salesman.

DUH

April 10, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. Tom, Bradenton,FL

Now you all know why the Republican Party is dead. If you need idiots like Palin then you know you have no real leaders. RIP. The Independents will replace you.

April 10, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. robin

I love how people say the gop is mean , look at the comments on palin, stupid ect and read the comments on barbara bush in the hospital, hope she dies a slow painful death cause she spanned satan. wow glad the dems and liberals arent mean!! i know this wont get posted my comments never do

April 10, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. shelley

Why Isn't it obvious to the republicans, the media and anyone else, that there is only one reason why Palin is so glorified., The GOP is a party of old ideas and old men . They need her simply because she is able to appeal to the misformed and the uneducated

April 10, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  8. Whooaahh

If, by important, you mean "stupid," then, yes, I will agree with you.

April 10, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. Jim in Idaho

Rather humorous for a man who became near totally irrelevant after his fall from grace to. Can't imagine why we'd put any weight into his opinion about someone else's "importance" or relevance. I mean aren't we talking about a man who left and divorced a wife laying in a hospital bed for a younger woman? Such conservative "values."

What class. What a Newt.

April 10, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. catmomtx

Right, she is important only to people who want to continue to dumb down America. Shie is divisive, mean and ignorant. She offers up plenty criticisms and jokes but no solutions. The media was telling us yesterday she was giving a policy speech on foreign relations. All I heard her do was criticize the President and ridicule everything he is doing.

I just don't understand why Republicans insist on dumbing down America. Why would people want a mean spirited mediocre person who does not seem the least bit interested in uniting people having any say in the direction our country is going? All I can say is go for it but don't be surprised when the American people don't buy what Republicans are selling. It seems right now they have a bunch of has beens trying to remain relevant while vilifying the President never giving him a chance and doing nothing to help clean up the mess their party left behind. It is so very easy to stand back and criticize everything someone else is doing when you don't have the responsibility of righting the wrongs made by the very people who are acting as if they have all the answers.

April 10, 2010 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. Scott C

"She's attractive, she's articulate, she has energy..."

Yeah, right....

A real Wasilla class intellect.

April 10, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Independent voter

I hope Sara palin continues to be on the spot light, I think one of the funniest SNL shows bewlong to Tina Fay when she did Sara Palin, I never knew Tina until those shows, now I think she is one of the funniest entretainers, I can't wait to see her again imitating S.P.
    as for her running for office in 2012, that would be the best favor the GOP can do for the DEM's. It would assure a second term for Obama.

April 10, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. martraco

Well, Newt, if this was my only choice, I'd rather sleep alone.

April 10, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. L for Legend

Twangy, slangy. Ain't no articulation there and even less gray matter between the ears. Dang, ya'll, get a grip

April 10, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. Tammy

Tremendously important? They're all nuts! And they want to lead the country? To what?!

April 10, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Mike Mc

This is why I moved to Canada

April 10, 2010 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  17. Lynn

Forked tongue Republicans. They preach and preach family values and righteousness, but strut sexy Palin before their crowds and people toss money at her feet. What's next for the GOP, a belly dancer and exotic dancers? Whoops almost forgot, they already did that at the lesbian strip joint. Two faced hypocrits. Newt cheating on his wife and asking for a divorce while she recuperated in hospital, scum bag.

April 10, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. patriot

i think the republican party is deviating from the noble path of serving our country because they are more interested to gain their personal positions than making a sacrifice to serve the country. their lack of thinking and unwilling to share responsibilities to serve our people are going to bring destruction of their party and our country. i do not see that republican can win back the power in the next 10 years with such inferior qualities of leadership and knowledge about govt, public life, business, education andpublic health. their lack of good qualities are strengthening obama and obama administration.

April 10, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Dean

Newt didn't he marry his high school teacher and press her for a divorce while she was recovering from surgery for cancer? oh and he had an affair while he was bashing clinton for his. he also bounced 22 checks while in office. what a great "family morals" kind of guy! if i were palin i
    wouldn't want his stamp of approval but then she isn't bright enough to
    understand how toxic newt is. what a combination a quitter and a liar.

April 10, 2010 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. floydfix69

what a tool.

April 10, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Malkittens

Palin is a menace

April 10, 2010 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. AndyBlue

I am suprized my opinion of the many stories about Palin on CNN wasnt approved.

Feels like censorship.

Anyway, Gingrich is one of the main people behind the teabaggers forming their "grassroots" campaign.

I dont know anyone who sees these tabaggers as representative of them. Just a looney fringe that are easily manipulated by Fox and Limbaugh.

April 10, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  23. toughlove

Gingrich is not saying she's the best choice for Pres. He's saying he'd pick her over Obama and after a year of this Pres's attempt to fundamentally change the greatest nation in the history of the world, I would too. I also find it hypocritical of the left to demean a woman because she doesn't fit their view if how a woman should think...pretty sexist I think.

April 10, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  24. mike

newt, you've gone soft in the head. don't accelerate america's slide into fascism by promoting this bimbo, especially when we have bobby, tim, eric, mitt, heck even yourself. sure she can stand in line & seek votes, but it's gonna be a helluva long, long time before we exhaust the cooks & butlers ere we get down to her. criminey! man up dude, and quit sellin' yer soul to this piece of tv fluff & chasin' after her like every other hounddog!!!

April 10, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Palin is all about money, haven't you forget she quit her govenor job , so she can go out there selling her mindless, lying book in order to make more money instead of working for all of her"beloved Alaskan"?

April 10, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |