April 10th, 2010

Gingrich says Palin 'tremendously important'

Gingrich is touting Sarah Palin's role in the Republican Party.
Gingrich is touting Sarah Palin's role in the Republican Party.

(CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, still considered among the most influential members of the Republican Party, is touting Sarah Palin's impact on the GOP and her future in the party.

"Sarah Palin is tremendously important right now, I mean for maybe 40 percent of the country, she personifies courage, clarity," Gingrich told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Both Gingrich and Palin were among the event's featured speakers.

"She's attractive, she's articulate, she has energy," Gingrich continued in the interview set to air Sunday on CNN's State of The Union. "Watch the size of her crowds…And I think whether that translates into something bigger later or whether she's just a very significant person for the rest of her life, she is a real player, nobody should underestimate her."

Gingrich also said Palin's prominence in the Republican Party will continue, regardless of whether she decides to mount a presidential bid in 2012.

"I think she has the potential to fill a niche for a very long time, particularly in an age of cable television and talk radio when you can build your particular market and your audience, and they can love you and come to your meetings and do things with you, and she's done, I think the last couple months she's been very impressive," he said.

But, should Palin decide to launch a presidential campaign, would she be a formidable opponent against President Obama?

1. Sue, Vienna, VA

Those of you who think Sarah Palin has the capability of running the USA are obviously smoking some funny stuff! "Articulate" says Newt? I have yet to hear her put two intelligent sentences together. As a former republican, my regard for that party sinks further and further each and every day. I'm grateful I made the change in 2008 – my only regret after listening to the constant puerile and irresponsible rhetoric emanating from the right, is that I didn't leave sooner!

April 10, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  2. ruty

Yes I fear Palin. I'm scared she might become president because of dimwitted, stupid, uneducated Americans who like her.

April 10, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  3. James

This just shows what level the brass in the GOP is willing to sink to in order to hurt President Obama in any way possible. The fact that Newt would actually pick this brain-dead twit...that can't manage her state, hometown, or even her own family...to be president over anyone, including a Harvard educated lawyer whom was elected POTUS. I don't like Newt or his views...but he's not a dumb guy. My guess is that he threw up a little in his mouth when he said those positive things about her. He knows the GOP is in some trouble and for some reason, idiots like her are a big hit with their uneducated and religious base. Dollars to doughnuts they talk about her behind her back like she is the "special" inbred cousin.

April 10, 2010 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. SCOTO

Horrifying , simply horrifying. I thought the know nuthin' portion of this country had given us their worst with Bush, now they have surpassed themselves with this dope of a woman with an empty head and a big mouth. Beyond belief

April 10, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. dm nash

By "courage" doesn't he really mean – too dumb to know better?.....and "clarity" doesn't he really mean oversimplifying for simpleton minds the complex issues she actually has NO understanding of? "Articulate"....ie.- in this case, doesn't he really mean she can't stop running her mouth? "Attractive" & "has energy" are slang for – make u forget how dumb she is when she talks & takes both sides on related issues because she doesn't realize they're related or understand them anyway. These are carefully chosen words that are used politely to dismiss women. In the case of Sarah Palin and as a woman, I too, would use these words to dismiss her – she's more of an embarassment than a representation or role model for women.
    All in all, just the Newt's way of working the media so that if he doesn't get another chance at further damaging our country with political partisanship and using Sarah's coattail to get there he'll send Sarah as the substitue "malleable" obstructionist- scary indeed.

April 10, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. Dave In Altmar

Oh puhleaze. Nuke is just making sure he doesn't alienate any of the traitorous idiots that comprise the Rethuglican base (such as it is) that have deluded themselves into believing that the Nitwit From Nanook is a viable candidate for....ANYTHING.

The real laugh is the LAST THING that Palin wants is a JOB – especially one with any kind of actual responsibility. She's all about the money, folks, and she's playing CNN/FOX and the rest of the media knuckleheads out there for a cushy dollar-loaded future as a quasi-professional gaddabout.

Yup – it's a great gig. You betcha!

April 10, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. Jax

""Well, if my choice was Sarah Palin or Barack Obama, I'd rather have Sarah Palin," said Gingrich."

Well duh... of course it would.

April 10, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. EttyBetty

Reps need to start buying the appropriate "magazines" for their needs and stop mixing their repressed sexuality with politics

April 10, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  9. Harriet

Newt is known to have a roving eye, perhaps he's planning to make a move on Palin, Watch out Mrs.Newt no. 3.

April 10, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. J.W. Bahlz

Like anyone with half a brain gives a hoot what this tadpole has to say. Palin=idiot with a microphone and a pretty face.

April 10, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. The Unsub

Pailin is unelectable period.

April 10, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  12. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

If it were a choice between Sarah Palin and Bob the Builder, I'd have to go with Bob (the Builder)

April 10, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  13. chav

Mark and all the idiots.

Palin is a moron. You know it and I know it. Everyone knows it. I pray she keeps talking because as the economy turns around and things get better and she keeps talking that only means that in November things will not be as bright as you would like.

Mark.. By the way its not just you I think most people on both sides are really stupid. Anyone who leans to far one way or the other is an idiot.

April 10, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. maggie519

Please- tell me why a woman that acts like a snotty high school cheerleader, and speaks like one too makes some conservatives go wild? Is it because she trash talks our black President non-stop, or is it that she is qualified to be a leader?
    I expect this to get worse before it gets better. Obama is a moderate, and the right is going to get more vitriolic to try to persuade America that he is some far-out lefty.

April 10, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. Livin' the good life

[she is] "tremendously important right now, I mean for maybe 40 percent of the country, she personifies courage, clarity,"...Of COURSE she does! No one else is firing up the base nor are they WILLING to do so AND ignore their family AND be willing to put their "life" out there to confuse the "mentally handicapped". (Besides the ones who screw and screw-up the vows they HAD with their wives!) Who in their God givin SANE mind could think otherwise!? She can stir up trouble and get the loony base fired up! Ya gotta' light a fire in order to get smoke AND mirrors. They BOTH know that some Americans want to fight for a cause, I just think that they want to stir up trouble to "stroke" the flames and most of the time, some people do NOT fight FOR "good" causes. They do NOT care if it incites violence or repercussions with "certain" individuals. They just want to win at all costs even if lives are at stake. THAT is the Relics' way besides saying NO all the time. I tell you what, they can say NO all they want. Just make sure I have my NO come November!!...Beau Colby.

April 10, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. Rick from Portland

I wonder how many of the Tea Baggers will lose interest when their big wins don't materialize in 2010? I wonder how many will go back under their rocks when Palin fades away and 2012 is the same tired old white men vying for the GOP nomination? And to the comment about her drawing crowds, I'm a die hard Dem and I would show up to a free event to see her, you betcha, just like checking out the freak show at the circus, but that doesn't mean I'd vote for her *wink*

April 10, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  17. dm nash

forgot to add her latest liability....paling around w/ murder suspects (ie – tv producer of her Alaska show Bruce Beresford-Redman who's stuck in Mexico 'til he's ruled out for killing his wife)
    not to mention, all the possible bomber/terrorist/malitia sects that are likely tea party members

April 10, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  18. missingNYalot

Sarah is joke !!! I don't care how u slice it. When the media decide its time for her to step in the manure THIS YEAR.... the GOP will start to run away fast as hell . Who are we trying to hoodwink. We have a million so called good looking INTELLIGENT women to elevate if we need leadership or credibility in the REP Party. A Clown can only take u so far...then the make-up has to come off for tall to see....

April 10, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. Mike

So for someone who is feeding people that the Boston Tea Party was a movement against big government is disturbing. The Tea party where at their convention speakers where promoting bringing back Jim Crow laws with a test before on can vote. Also promoting a single religious values where people who don't believe in the Judeo-Christian idea should leave. This party is so un-American and Sarah is feeding into the ignorance.

April 10, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  20. Joe

yes, she is attractive, articulate, and has engery-BUT NO BRAINS!!! She has no understanding of basic civics yet spits out stupid public (hers and her followers of ignorance) policy that is clearly not factual.

Please keep her in the spotlight-the Dems will certainly win then!!

April 10, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  21. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Bevis & Butthead or Sarah and Newt? B&B
    I'm thinking Lewis Faracon or Governor Moonbeam (Jerry Brown) or heck, just about anyone who is INTELLIGENT, Articulate and left of the GOP platform rather than Sarah P

April 10, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  22. CommonSense09

The STARS of the Republican Party. Should ensure a long line of Democrats in the White House. Keep bringin' the laughs, GOP!!

April 10, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. JOE

Newt is as "GOOFY" as the other NUT CAKE...And I am a Republican

April 10, 2010 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  24. Denna

With all of their bleating about people 'not being qualified', how in the world could Newt even say, with a straight face, that this woman is qualified. How would you know? She got herself elected Governor of Alaska, then walked away from the job. She is a flake and I believe that she compliments the Fox News line-up – vapid and empty.

April 10, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. Livin' the good life

PS: This is all liking of a sitcom. After a few seasons it/they will be CANCELED! The most intelligent of Americans do not vote with their blogs and mouth, they do it at the polling place anyways. Beau Colby

April 10, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |