April 11th, 2010

Environment in '10 better than '94, says Barbour

(CNN) – The man who ran the Republican National Committee in 1994 when the GOP retook both chambers in Congress says the environment in this midterm election year is better than it was 16 years ago.

“The political environment for Republicans this first half of April, 2010, is better than it was the first half of April 1994,when we won 54 seats in the House, took control of the House, the Senate, [and] more than 30 governorships,” Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said in an interview that aired Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union.

Barbour told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley that Republicans would again retake control of the House and the Senate if the election were held now. “The problem is the election is not today,” he explained.

Explaining his comparative analysis of 2010 and 1994, Barbour also told Crowley that the favorable environment in 1994 “developed later, developed in a little bit different way.”

“The people in this country are very agitated,” Barbour said of the current political environment, “Republicans are energized. And independents are talking like, thinking like, and planning to vote like Republicans.”

In addition to being a former RNC chairman, Barbour is the current chairman of the Republican Governors Association and is considered one of the most influential members of the GOP as the party regroups following its losses in the 2008 elections.

Filed under: 2010 • GOP • Haley Barbour • State of the Union
  1. hal

This will be the third time I have written something about Presidential candidates in 2012. If this doesn't get posted- I am done with CNN. As I stated before, there are two strong candidates for the Republican side- Jon Huntsman, Jr. and Paul Ryan!! :)

April 11, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. The Unsub

Today's Mantra: "Never a Republican!"

April 11, 2010 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. PalmReader

Hey, Marie, MD. Great job proving that Save My State wasn't a dem! They make it so easy, don't they?

April 11, 2010 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. carole

Constantly referring to '94 convinces me that the current Republican party dislikes progress or change of any kind. It is abundantly clear in this everchanging world, that not progressing, not cleaning up messes that this party created will destroy this country. Period.

April 11, 2010 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. save my state.

@palmreader
    We voted for Clinton twice, Gore , Kerry , Mike Dukiuis, and Walter Mondale....It's ashame that you are the kind that always misjudge people.

April 11, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Squigman

If your party gains control again it won't be from my vote. I've got one thing you, or your party will never take from me, the ability to rub many brain cells together to make a thought.

April 11, 2010 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. PalmReader

Save My State: We voted for Bush, Dole, Bush, Bush, Obama - going all the way back to my first vote cast to Nixon. Guess we cancelled out each other . . . I am one of the few who is able to actually ADMIT my faulty votes are in part responsible for the damage to our country.

So much for misjudging.

April 11, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  8. MikeH

It's pretty obvious the Republicans are doing everything they can, including encouraging sedition and treason, to disrupt America's recover from the Great Bush/Republican Economic Disaster, to cause millions of Americans to suffer and thousands to die, to destroy America's infrastructure, all for political gain.

The Democrats need to hammer this point home without mercy, America is in danger because of Republican traitors.

April 11, 2010 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. MikeH

That Barbour (a corrupt and venal criminal) has to say things are better now than '94 means they are not. Republicans lie, say the opposite of what's true, accuse their opponents of crimes they themselves are in the act of committing. Some Republicans have already committed treason.

April 11, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Taking our country back means taking our country backwards. I see no sign of a future America with Republicans and our young generation have no interest in going backwards.

April 11, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. addon

save my state. April 11th, 2010 11:30 am ET

My wife and I always voted Dem., but this year in the fall we will be voting Republican. It seems to us that republican are more in step with an American way of life. Were not sure what kind of world the Dems. are in step with right know. The Dems. seem to have incompetence when it comes to spending our money

---------------

I hate to say this but you don't seem like the sharpest pencil in the box.

How do you think that this country got in this position in the 1st place? Oh yeah, its Obama's fault.

And for the past year, all the Republicans have done is call our president names and fought him every step of the way. And Yet, And Yet, you think you should bring the Republicans back to power just for that. Again when they were passing out brains, you thought they said heavy rains and you didn't want any

April 11, 2010 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. Glennis

Again, I think you all make a mistake to assume that the Democrats can hold on to their majority. I believe that the policies and actions by this administration is seriously eroding the support they had in the last election. The votes cast for the Democrats due to Bush fatigue will not all be there for them again.

April 11, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. save my state.

My family is interacial we have always told are kids that being fair to everyone is the way to go. Yet we have told them that socialism is a way of equaly shareing in misery........Winston churchill.

What these new Dems don't understand is that people are fed up with the taxing. The lieing. The backroom deals, The spending. We the people only want our voices heard in congress.

April 11, 2010 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  14. Rick

How soon the American people forget who caused this mess, to remind everybody it was George Bush and the Republicans who caused it. President Obama has onle y been in office a little over a year and you are already complaining, where you you for the 8 years George Bush and the Republicans were causing this mess.

April 11, 2010 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  15. b in FL

If the majority of Americans can't see that the Republicans have been nothing other tham obstructionists since Pres Obama took office then they are just truly blinded by their hate. No matter what the President does, even when most of his policies are quite moderate and some have been supported by Repubs in the past, they firmly believe that saying NO to everything will gain them back the majority. Although my hope & faith has faded somewhat when I see how many people are aligning themselves with the fringe of the country (the Tea Partiers), I'm still optimistic that most of the voters will see through the Repubs game and keep the Dems in charge – at least I pray for that!

April 11, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  16. b in FL

To Save My State – how old are you? Did you just live through the last 8 years of the Cheney/Bush regime? How in the world can you be both be Democrats and possibly think the Republicans know how to better manage the country. You're confused!!

April 11, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. vJ

We know well what Republicans can do for this country. Look at Bush era. American people would not forget.
    VJ
    Hayward

April 11, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Ancient Texan

The most encouraging things on the horizon for the GOP in November,is Pelosi, Reid, and Obama. That should be incentive enough for anyone.

April 11, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  19. Barbara - a Canadian

Surely you must realize that this infighting in what is/was? the greatest nation is seriously damaging your credibility. Those of us looking in realize just WHO is agitating and WHY. You elected a bold, intelligent and compassionate President, and the world cheered. Now, the loudest, and, in my opinion, most backwards of you are hollering for "your country back"... to where?

– to the age of the "ugly American"?
    – to the days of inequality?
    – to the Salem era? – (sometimes sounds like a witchhunt)
    – to the cotton fields?
    – to nuclear posturing?
    – to nation building (other nations that is)?
    – to the (false) civility of southern gentlemen/women?
    – to the auction blocks?
    – to being a bully nation?

I hope that sanity prevails south of us – if this lunacy is let loose (and you know their names) , please keep it on your side of the border. We're doing just fine thank you (health care and all).

April 11, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |