April 12th, 2010

Republican likes a Justice Clinton

A Republican senator suggested Tuesday that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton might make a good Supreme Court justice.

Washington (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's been a first lady, a senator, a trailblazer for women who aspire to the Oval Office and now the nation's top diplomat. Could a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court be the final stop on a long and successful career?

Well, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, floated the idea Monday when he told NBC's "Today" that she "would be an interesting person in [the Supreme Court] mix."

"I happen to like Hillary Clinton," he said. "I think she's done a good job."

Alas, it doesn't appear to be in the cards right now or so says the White House.

"We appreciate Sen. Hatch's addition," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said. "I think the president has identified in Secretary Clinton a capacity in which he thinks she's doing a wonderful job. The president is going to keep her as his secretary of State."

Late last week, Justice John Paul Stevens announced plans to retire, which will allow President Obama the opportunity to choose a second person to serve on the Court. Last year, Obama picked Judge Sonia Sotomayor to replace retiring Justice David Souter.

1. Marie MD

I think Secretary Clinton is doing a wonderful job as Secretary of State, and would probably be an extremely competent Supreme Court Justice. My problem is that I don't trust Hatch as far as I can throw him.
    They probably want her out of the running or helping anyone running for president or vp in coming elections.
    She is NOT Alito who can't keep his mouth shut when he should. The SC fleeced Americans by allowing corporations to use their millions of dollars to lobby. Something the little guy can't do and when he was called on it (thanks President Obama) he acted like the fool he is.

April 12, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Sarah the baby seal basher

NO,shes really a republican job seller.

April 12, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. Robert T., New Orleans

Clinton is far too valuable as a Secretary of State, repairing all the damage done by the previous administration. She might also be a presidential candidate in 2016. I can't see her as a fossil on the Supreme Court.

April 12, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Brian

let's not get hysterical here.

April 12, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. indy

I'm sure she'd love it because she would outlast her husband and former rival. She'd be appointed for life. Perish the thought!

April 12, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  6. Jeff in Houston

I would back her nomination instantly. A fine, educated mind to serve our country for decades. Mr. President, HERE is your choice.

April 12, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. ib

To liberal for me but otherwise she may do a good job. She would be better than some of the other Obama picks.

April 12, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. lila

She is far too important of a politician to the democratic party to lose to the court. I'm sure republicans understand her value to the democratic party and would just love to see her benched doing a job she is surely able but does not capitalize on her wide range of gifts.

April 12, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. Nile

I vote for te current First Lady . . .Justice Michelle Obama

April 12, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. sorrie

That would be wonderful! Hillary is fantastic! My hero! I love her. And Bill too! Both of them on the supreme court; yes, that would a great team.

April 12, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Victim of GOP Taliban

She'd be better off going back to the Senate.

April 12, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. BeverlyNC

I bet they do. She is an outstanding Secretary of State gaining invaluable experience and handling difficult situations with leadership. Once President Obama finishes his 2 terms, she would make an outstanding Democratic Presidential candidate. Hatch wants her on the Supreme Court to keep her out of the White House.

April 12, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Bill Sampson

Funny how Hillary Clinton use to be the big boogeyman (woman) used for the Republican fund raising machine. Now, not so much, really. They have moved on from the woman to the black guy. Even scarier to their base of donors, I guess.

Do the average Republican tools ever catch on to all the poll driven cynicism and fakery? To the trumped-up fear? Will they ever? Can they even comprehend it?

Tea party on, stooges!

April 12, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. jonny

Excellent Choice!

April 12, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Hillary Clinton is qualified in any capacity in Government, I think she can write her own ticket. Hillary Clinton as a woman makes all women proud, she's educated, an experienced and smart business woman and knows foreign and domestic politics, that's why President Obama picked her as Secretary of State.

April 12, 2010 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. David

I'd take a Justice Hilary, you bet!
    She may be reviled by the right wing nuts, but she has
    done one helluva job as Sec of State. And she'd give
    the conservatives on the bench quite a formidable force to
    deal with.

Go Hilary!

April 12, 2010 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. robert bock

good idea and you get judge biil with her, two for one.

April 12, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Patty in California

That would be very cool

April 12, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. Greg

She'd be amazing at whatever she tries. Give it another 6 years when Ginsberg steps down and Obama's finishing his 8?

April 12, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. vicky from Milwaukee

Great idea. I think Ms. Clinton could do anything well.

April 12, 2010 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. PJP

Heavens to besty, NO!!!!

April 12, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  22. McLuhan

I concur, what a great idea. No surprises, as she has served publiclly for this long.

April 12, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. jackson

I must admit, that would have the potential to be ***quite*** the confirmation hearing!

April 12, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  24. Chloe in Chatsworth, CA

It would also take her out of the running for the Presidency in 2016, but I'm sure the thought never entered Senator Hatch's mind.

April 12, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  25. BobInIrvineCal

Orrin Hatch making suggestions for the Dems' nominee for SCOTUS?

Only one suggestion: Count your fingers after shaking his hand.

April 12, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |