April 12th, 2010

Republican likes a Justice Clinton

A Republican senator suggested Tuesday that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton might make a good Supreme Court justice.

Washington (CNN) – Hillary Clinton's been a first lady, a senator, a trailblazer for women who aspire to the Oval Office and now the nation's top diplomat. Could a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court be the final stop on a long and successful career?

Well, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, floated the idea Monday when he told NBC's "Today" that she "would be an interesting person in [the Supreme Court] mix."

"I happen to like Hillary Clinton," he said. "I think she's done a good job."

Alas, it doesn't appear to be in the cards right now or so says the White House.

"We appreciate Sen. Hatch's addition," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said. "I think the president has identified in Secretary Clinton a capacity in which he thinks she's doing a wonderful job. The president is going to keep her as his secretary of State."

Late last week, Justice John Paul Stevens announced plans to retire, which will allow President Obama the opportunity to choose a second person to serve on the Court. Last year, Obama picked Judge Sonia Sotomayor to replace retiring Justice David Souter.

1. key

Palin doesn't have a job Lol

April 12, 2010 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. Deborah

Doubtful, sadly....

April 12, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. T'SAH from Virginia

Yep – they already know President Obama will WIN in 2012 – so now they want to get Hillary out of the way because she can win in 2016!!!! We're NOT stupid!

"I happen to like Hillary Clinton," he said. "I think she's done a good job."

Yea, RIGHT!!! Sen. Orrin Hatch, YOU LIE!!!

April 12, 2010 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  4. valwayne

Seems like the White House dismissed the possbility pretty quickly. I'd call that a slap in the face!!!!!

April 12, 2010 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  5. Kate

She is definitely smart enough to do the job.

April 12, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. Mike

Awful. Just awful. If Clinton ends up on the Supreme Court, you can forget about the notion that the Supreme Court is meant to protect individual rights against government encroach. She will be a rubber stamp for state action, period.

April 12, 2010 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. Tom, Flagstaff AZ

I love the idea of Ms. Clinton on the Supremem Court. I just wish she could be Chief Justice–and in the process rid us all of Roberts.

April 12, 2010 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Travis In Colorado

I would love Hillary Clinton as a Supreme Court Justice. I voted for her in the presidential primaries, and I really hoped that she would become our next president. However, I think that she would make an excellent Justice. She's very knowledgeable. I also think that she has done a great job as Sec. of State. I would like to see her run for president in 2012!

April 12, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. Hell No!!

What is this world coming to?

April 12, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  10. worriedmom

I would have no problem of Hillary being Supreme Court. I think that Hillary has shown that she can listen to both sides of a story and make rationale decisions. Too bad, people didnt realize this when the Presidential campaign was going on.

April 12, 2010 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. Derrick

I think Hillary Clinton would do OUTSTANDING in whatever it is she does... Justice Hillary Clinton sounds great to me!!!

We LOVE you Hillary!

April 12, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. STAND AS ONE

Whats the matter HATCH.. Mrs. Clinton is doing too much of a great job as Sec. of State that your trying to get her out that position?

April 12, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  13. Don

The R's are so scared of her running in 2016. Picture this. It's 2012 and Joe Biden 'retires' from politics. Obama puts Hillary on the ticket as VP. There would be no stopping her in 2012.

April 12, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  14. Don

Oops, meant to say no stopping her in 2016.

April 12, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  15. conniesz

From the beginning I thought Hillary would end up on the Supreme Court – I just don't know if now is the time or when Ginsberg retires (which will happen during Obama's first term). If now – who would take over at State? I think she will remain as Secretary of State for another year – she will get her shot at the Supreme Court before the end of Obama's first term – of that I'm sure.

April 12, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  16. Tom

I thought there were laws against crooks service as Judges. Has everyone forgotten the Arkansas Whitewater land dealings of the Clintons that were halted due to suspiscious deaths and people refusing to talk and jailed for it?

April 12, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Walter

The Republicans are just worried that after a few more years as Secretary of State, she will be unstoppable in 2016 as Obama's successor.

April 12, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  18. Samir

Maybe he just wants to make sure that she's not the democratic nominee for 2012. That is only if Obama decides not to run again.

April 12, 2010 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. HS

Although Hillary would make a good justice, the obvious choice is Ellen. I hear she's doing a great job on Idol...

April 12, 2010 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  20. John Johnston, Smithfield, UT

A Justice needs a high level of personal integrity. I think a close examination of Hillery during the confirmation process would quickly reveal a number of things the Clinton's would prefer remain buried. I think she would simply paraphrase the famous Lindon Johnston quote: "If nominated I will not accept, if placed before a Committee I will not be confirmed." This woman is a political hack of the worst kind and we should thank our lucky stars that she has been sequestered at the Department of State, well under the thumb of President Obama.

April 12, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  21. Reynald

I'm sure she'll do a great job but Hillary is outspoken therefore not the right job for her.

April 12, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  22. Fritos

Hola Amigos:

Yes, I like Hillary too – but going to the Supreme Court would take her out of the competition for President, and I would rather see Hillary as President than one term-Mr. Obama (I usually vote Republican, but I like Hillary).

April 12, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Jackie

Hillary Clinton would be an outstanding justice on the Supreme Court. A great choice! Let's hope it comes to pass.

April 12, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  24. Al Bluengreenenbrownenburger

The best reason for Hillary on the Supreme Court is the intense anguish that would cause for the right-wing extremist kooks. They are so bitter they deserve it.

Beyond that, I am glad Obama won't go there. Not a big fan of the Clintons.

April 12, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  25. kcl

Wow...a civil posting, how refreshing!!! Thank you Senator Hatch!!!

April 12, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |