April 12th, 2010

We're on a 'RINO' hunt, Tea Party Express leader says

Lansing, Michigan (CNN) – A leader of the Tea Party movement has a warning for Republicans: the conservative grassroots movement intends to clean house in the Republican Party.

“We need to purge the Republicans of the weaklings,” Tea Party Express 3 Chairman Mark Williams told CNN. “And we’re on a...RINO hunt. And we’re going to drive them to extinction.” “RINO” - “Republicans in name only” – is a bit of a political slur within the GOP that is sometimes used by staunch conservatives to refer to those fellow Republicans who they do not regard as hewing closely enough to the party’s core principles.

“I got more knife wounds in my back from Republican operatives, than Democrats could ever do,” Williams said. He added, “The Democrats at least stand there and tell me they hate me, and tell me that they hate America. These Republicans smile at me, shake my hand and then they stab me in the back.”

While the Tea Party movement has not officially aligned itself with the Republican Party, it champions similar goals, including less government, less taxes, less spending.

The movement also advocates the defeat of Democrats. Tea Party activists hope to purge “the Democrats of the Marxists,” Williams said.

Speaking with CNN, Williams also claimed Rep. Bart Stupak’s, D-Michigan, decision not to seek re-election as a victory for the Tea Party movement.

Filed under: GOP • Popular Posts • Tea Party movement
  1. Doug99

You know it's really ridiculous that anyone gives these idiots the time of day. However, that being said, please continue to subdivide the Republican party into extinction. They might want to reflect on Ross Perot's "success" and what it did to help Bill Clinton win in 92. Please, please, do this ALL OVER America in 2010 AND 2012. Divide so the Democrats can conquer... MORONS!

April 11, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  2. phil

It's amazing to me how many Americans agree with these lunatics! They come out and say that Democrats "tell me they hate America." What the hell is he talking about? And now the Tea Baggers want to "purge the Republicans of weaklings." Mr Williams, you must be referring to the party of the "big tent," right? I just hope and pray that these nuts are zealous and stupid enough to nominate Sarah Palin for President. Then the fun will really begin, and America will see her for what she is – an empty designer suit filled with a series of ridiculous sound bites, with absolutely no clue about any issue affecting this country.

April 11, 2010 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  3. doolindalton

Bart Stupak is a marxist? I am glad Dwight Eisenhower was elected in the 50's. His party has shifted so far to to the right he couldn't be elected county chairman.

April 11, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  4. Ken

“The Democrats at least stand there and tell me they hate me, and tell me that they hate America.'

From which planet in the Looney Tune Galaxy does this guy come?
    Keep talking, Mark. This way we get to know who you REALLY are and what your movement is about!

April 11, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  5. ProudRINO

Dear Mr. Williams,

It is so very nice of you to now join us in tackling the risks posed by out-of-control government spending and massive government debt.

However, I can't help but wonder where all of you were the last 10 years when the few RINOs were warning about the return to deficits and a faster growing debt under the previous administration and Republican and Democratic congresses.

I guess you were too busy hating America.

April 11, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Jerry

Mr. Williams is another one of those extremist in the tea party movement. I call them the American Taliban.

He and his kind will only weaken the republican party. A party divided cannot lead or get elected.

April 11, 2010 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. HJA

Tea Party Express 3 Chairman Mark Williams

Williams if I could look you in the eye I would not say I hate you. But I would call you a liar!

April 11, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  8. Dieter Zerressen

We liberals don't hate America, we hate what the Republicans have done to America since Nixon, Ford, Reagan and the Bushes handed over our prosperity to the international corporations. More liberals in Congress and those liberals running for President have served in the Military than any of those American-loving Republicans. Limbaugh didn't serve, Beck quit, Palin never served, Cheney never served, Bush ran away from the guard, Rove never served. Its a fact.

April 11, 2010 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Brian Rich

Show me one Democrat who will say they hate America, you raving idiot.

April 11, 2010 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |