April 14th, 2010

Obamas limit time first daughters spend online

Michelle Obama limits the amount of time the first family spends online, she said Wednesday in an interview with CNN.

Washington (CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama revealed Wednesday that there are strict rules on the use of technology within the walls of the White House's East Wing - at least during the week and only if your name is "Sasha" or "Malia."

"[I]n my household, you know, we try to establish a set of guidelines and rules that make sense - no computers, phones, television during the week," the first lady said Wednesday in an interview with CNN en Espanol's Juan Carlos Lopez that aired on CNN's The Situation Room.

Obama called the question of how much technology is too much a generational issue, but said educators and parents are beginning to understand the unique challenges posed by the Internet and social networking platforms.

"We talk a lot with [our daughters] about the dangers of Facebook and sort of getting into that social networking kind of gossip mill or, you know, that - that comes from those activities," the first lady said, "[W]e spend a lot of time talking to our kids. And fortunately, more schools are understanding the challenges and they're doing more to educate families, as well as parents and children, about the pros and cons of excessive use of the Internet and all these new networking technologies."

Obama is in Mexico as part of her first solo official trip as first lady. On Wednesday morning, Obama met with Mexican first lady Margarita Zavala at Los Pinos, the Mexican president's residency. Other events on her itinerary included a tour of the Museo Nacional de Antropologia (National Museum of Anthropology) and a public elementary school that serves local low-income students.

On Tuesday, she made a surprise visit to the earthquake ravaged nation of Haiti.

Filed under: Extra • Michelle Obama • Obama family • Popular Posts • Social Media
  1. Anonymous

Pkm you are a nice role model mrs obama i an very proud of your whole family

April 14, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  2. BeverlyNC

It's too bad there aren't more great and responsible parents like the Obamas.
    Maybe if parents actually parented their children, we would not see bullying deaths by children from a no-rules household. Parents lie for the children when they cheat at school, when they skip school, or commit crimes.
    And we wonder why we have so many immoral, greedy, arrogant, "entitled" attitude people in the business world today. They had rotten, absent parents who gave them things instead of rules, discipline, and morality.
    It's disgusting how irresponsible parents have become.

April 14, 2010 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  3. JIm,VIRGINIA

Maybe,the president could spend a little less time surfing the web and spending more time on putting Americans back to work !!!

April 14, 2010 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  4. Richard Larson

I would hope that the ban does not preclude useful learning opportunities and study / research usage. The ability to use technology effectively in education is no longer optional, it is a requirement. I guess I am fortunate, I never even considered limiting my son's exposure to technology. The question never came up. Was he disadvantaged? Not that I know of because he is now a credentialled special education co-ordinator in a local school district.

I thought then, and I think now, young people who have good examples who are willing to listen and rationally discuss options, usually turn out very well.

April 14, 2010 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  5. Brett

That quote originally read "IN MY COUNTRY, you know, we try to establish a set of guidelines and rules that make sense – no computers, phones, television during the week,"

Long live comrade Obama!

April 14, 2010 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  6. Mark

I'm in college, and I would kill to have some sort of balance like this. But alas, in the real world, when you aren't living in the Whitehouse, you have to do all of your homework and research on a computer for 8 hours a day, and get carpal tunnel and bad eyes.

April 14, 2010 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. Billy

Now the Republicans will be calling them Luddites and anti-business. LOL!

April 14, 2010 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. ttt

sounds like a good rule.

April 14, 2010 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  9. Mike

And this is newsworthy. Good Grief

April 14, 2010 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  10. Parah Sailin

I would think Michelle would be more proud for the first time in her adult life of certain family members of hers that would discourage cigarette smoking to Sasha and Malia.

April 15, 2010 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  11. Fed Up

No computers during the week? I guess when you live in the WH, you don't get homework either. Must be nice.

April 15, 2010 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  12. fhwilson199

another fable that the compliant media reports as fact.
    you can't control the sources on kids these days.

MICHELLE: ditch those cheap looking gym shoes.
    Obama preaching to his media supporters.

April 15, 2010 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  13. Darnell

Is he really reading a Dr Seus book to those girls? How old are they? Then again, I guess they did go to Chicago schools.

April 15, 2010 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  14. Johnny DC

Good idea - rather than embrace that technology is the wave of the present and future, the First Lady has decided to shelter her children from it. If this is the Obama vision of education for America's future, we are in huge trouble.

April 15, 2010 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  15. Wedding

Ironically, I am reading this story on-line -- and I;ve been with out internet access for three weeks ~~~ I get EXACTLY where she's coming form. When raising my children (28,26,21,16) they had a choice: one hour a day on either . And that included if they needed to do research for school. Apparently, I'm less stringent than the First Lady and I do like her approach!!! More cards and letters --> less emails!

April 15, 2010 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  16. Roadkillz

Come on, Michelle! They're bright young kids! Let them EARN an hour or two, of TV/I-net/MP3 per week!

April 15, 2010 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  17. Larry

REAL people in the White House ....

I absolutely LOVE it .......

April 15, 2010 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  18. Glenn

The New Era of Kids are lost in Technology, They can't Live with out the internet. That's why they are fat and out of shape. they no longer play sport. The only exercise they get is with there hand moving the mouse.
    Ask one of them to run a block and you will see what i am talking about.

April 15, 2010 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  19. Michael from Ventura

Another great example of how cool this guy is! He is a great Dad along with being a great President.

April 15, 2010 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  20. Indiana Pagan

You know, I like Michelle Obama in general, but those "rules" are just ridiculous. Does she want her daughters to grow up with technology being alien to them? Good gods, woman! Relax!

April 15, 2010 01:39 am at 1:39 am |