April 15th, 2010

Huckabee explains decision to become Florida resident

Mike Huckabee has switched his official residence to Florida.
Mike Huckabee has switched his official residence to Florida.

(CNN) – Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is explaining his decision to switch his residency to Florida, a move that immediately raised questions about whether he is serious about mounting a second presidential bid in 2012.

Huckabee said in a statement late Wednesday that he and his wife are splitting their time between Arkansas, Florida and New York - where he hosts a talk show on Fox News - "to better accommodate our busy travel schedule and personal business."

"This was a personal decision not a political one," he said. Huckabee and his wife registered in February to vote as Republicans in Florida, where they rent a home, an aide confirmed to CNN.

Politically, Huckabee said, his current focus is on the 2010 midterm elections. "That should be obvious to any political reporter – considering HuckPAC's strong involvement with candidates around the country, our contributions and our nationwide volunteer network," he said.

"It is ridiculous for someone to try and read something into this decision," he continued. "I think it's foolish for political pundits to assume residency in Florida is an indication on my political intentions. As I have repeatedly said, no decision has been made about my political future – and none will be made until after the mid-term elections.

"Only the Lord knows what my future holds and He hasn't told me yet - so I'm positive He hasn't told any political reporters," he said.

Filed under: Florida • Mike Huckabee
  1. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He won't win if he runs because he has too many conservatives against him because of tax issues during his time as governor. I don't think that he would win against Obama either in a 2012 campaign.

April 15, 2010 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  2. Deminted is Rubio's Waterloo

Unlike Arkansas and New York, Florida has NO STATE INCOME TAX. What more of a reason so you want?

April 15, 2010 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  3. Trader Vic

This is simply a move to a state without personal income taxes. It's not rocket science.

April 15, 2010 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  4. Jay

"Only the Lord knows what my future holds and He hasn't told me yet – so I'm positive He hasn't told any political reporters," he said.

Shame on you liar for using God so cheaply. You absolutely know you are running and are posturing by moving to Florida.

I hope you receive the same result as the last time you ran.

Really, shame on you for using God so pathetically.

April 15, 2010 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  5. Avg Guy in Red State Kansas

Mr. Huckabee NOT making a decision that is political in nature??? RIGHT! The fact that he said "...no decision has been made about my political future – and none will be made until after the mid-term elections" should be a CLUE, folks!

Stay tuned...

April 15, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  6. ART

What next is he going to come out of the closet, those who bark the loudest usually have something to hide.this man is a disgusting human being

April 15, 2010 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  7. Kate

You betcha it is a political move.

April 15, 2010 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  8. Tom

I don't blame him for moving. Who wants to live in Arkansas?

April 15, 2010 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  9. JAMES L HALL

It sounds to me likke that mr huckbee is just residence shoping so as to be able to establish a residence in a state where that he possibly run for the presidence would or could possibly receive the most republican support from the rank an file national republican committe thank you

April 15, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. jeremy.....Dallas...Texas

Not presidential material at all. Keep on good Lord's work but keep off politics.

April 15, 2010 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  11. DUH!

He's changing his residency because Florida doesn't have a state income tax.

April 15, 2010 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  12. Josh

As a Floridian, we do not need another Hollier than Thou in our state to come and create and spread more lies and hate.

April 15, 2010 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  13. Steve

This is an obvious financial decision. Florida does not
    have a state income tax.

April 15, 2010 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  14. kara

No doubt Florida's lack of personal income tax played a part.... especially if Huckabee is getting big bucks from Fox.

April 15, 2010 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  15. Jeff in Houston

I find it extremely disturbing that a man who is thinking about running for president will base his final decision based on weird voices in his head, further, that only he can hear these voices, and that the rest of us must rely on his interpretation of these voices with respect to their validity.

Is this the kind of rational thinking you want in the Oval Office?

I wonder what all I can do today, and chalk it all up to the fact that some apirition told me I should do it? If I say it was the Cosmic Blueberry Muffin, i would be arrested. If I say its the Lord, then i must be right.

This insanity infecting America appears to be spreading at an alarming rate.

April 15, 2010 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  16. Willy Brown

Welome to Florida Mike!

April 15, 2010 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  17. Miami Mike

Tough to be rich.

April 15, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  18. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

He, and all Republicans, can move to Timbuktoo for all I care......

April 15, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  19. Laura

Like Florida needs any more redneck bigots. Thanks Mike.

April 15, 2010 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. P

He changed his residency to avoid paying state income taxes! Duh.

April 15, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  21. reality check

Another person who plans to rule by the "devine right of kings". Why does this not give me any comfort?

April 15, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  22. NVa Native

ch-Huckabee is a has-been.
    The tea-baggers have proclaimed he's not worthy, time to move on.

April 15, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  23. gjresid

Since Lord has not told him, how did he decide to move to Florida?

April 15, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  24. dale

Who cares CNN?
    Your just playing the political bias liberal game.
    That's why your ratings keep falling

April 15, 2010 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  25. katiec

Any man who touts religion, than appears on a station such as Fox, who wouldn't know or support the truth if it hit them in the face, a station that promotes hate, anger and radical beliefs, most certainly is not a man I believe to be a true Christian.
    It appears he will do anything to promote his goals, not realizing intelligent people know Fox for whar it is and represents and want
    no part of it.