April 15th, 2010

Obamas limit time first daughters spend online

Michelle Obama limits the amount of time the first family spends online, she said Wednesday in an interview with CNN.

Washington (CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama revealed Wednesday that there are strict rules on the use of technology within the walls of the White House's East Wing - at least during the week and only if your name is "Sasha" or "Malia."

"[I]n my household, you know, we try to establish a set of guidelines and rules that make sense - no computers, phones, television during the week," the first lady said Wednesday in an interview with CNN en Espanol's Juan Carlos Lopez that aired on CNN's The Situation Room.

Obama called the question of how much technology is too much a generational issue, but said educators and parents are beginning to understand the unique challenges posed by the Internet and social networking platforms.

"We talk a lot with [our daughters] about the dangers of Facebook and sort of getting into that social networking kind of gossip mill or, you know, that - that comes from those activities," the first lady said, "[W]e spend a lot of time talking to our kids. And fortunately, more schools are understanding the challenges and they're doing more to educate families, as well as parents and children, about the pros and cons of excessive use of the Internet and all these new networking technologies."

Obama is in Mexico as part of her first solo official trip as first lady. On Wednesday morning, Obama met with Mexican first lady Margarita Zavala at Los Pinos, the Mexican president's residency. Other events on her itinerary included a tour of the Museo Nacional de Antropologia (National Museum of Anthropology) and a public elementary school that serves local low-income students.

On Tuesday, she made a surprise visit to the earthquake ravaged nation of Haiti.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Obama family • Popular Posts • Social Media
  1. rachel

That is good, it's difficult to do. I don't care much for Obama politics but hey they seem like good parents. My 12 year old neice is an obama fan I tried to run this past her and say sasha and malia don't get to watch tv or the internet on weekends, and she said yeah well when I get to live in the whitehouse, with cooks and get to go across country on vacation and have the jonas brothers or justin beiber show up at my house maybe I wont mind not using the computer or watching tv on week days either :)

April 15, 2010 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. The Halls

Henry Miller, I am sure you know that President Obama do not take order, he give orders. I know you want to put President Obama down every chance you get, because he’s black right? You are just mad because he won. I bet you never said any thing about President Bush fleecing the American Taxpayer or talk about stolen money that he took and gave away. Why is it you feel President is giving money to people who won’t work? Are you working? Be bless if you have a job. Stop belly aching and be happy that you have a job.

April 15, 2010 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  3. MAD IN TEXAS

All you people praising the OBAMAs does this mean up until now you had no brain of your on. Only by the Obamas restraining their children now you think it if alright. This is something most of us parents have been doing now for a lifetime. We restrain our children from certain movies, computers and Television shows. Also they don't hang around in parks trying to form gangs or in the next alley over shooting up. It's funny to me it takes a brother to wake you people up.

April 15, 2010 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  4. db

What is with that photo? How are we supposed to not laugh?

April 15, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. capmorgs

They don't want her to find out how much their family is disliked

April 15, 2010 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Kweso

My family relocated to the USA about 11 years ago. One of the first decisions we made as a family was that we would not have a TV in our home. That remains the case today. We are a reading family who travel, converse and exercise regularly. This year, our older child who has a 4.4 GPA was awarded the Chancellor's scholarship. What most parents need to know is that raising children is also raising yourself. Radiance to the first family.

April 15, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. a little sad

PJP April 15th, 2010 9:40 am ET

Obama ought to be a man and limit his time being president!

*******************************************

I agree. He should limit his time as president to 8 years. :-)

April 15, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. Sgt. USMC

If you are not picking up on the fact that she is trying to set an example for the rest of us parents, then you are STUPID. Sasha and Malia have secret service with them, I don't see them meeting some strange man online.

The no TV guideline is a good one for all of you who have kids that can name all of the Spongebob characters but can't name 5 U.S. Presidents.

April 15, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. kola

This is going to be the new rules in my house. Thanks for the example.

April 15, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  10. precious

So they make up all the hours missed during the week on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays!!

Now, what do they do when mommy and daddy is away...does Grandma goes soft!!

April 15, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. Tim

Unlike responsible parents, who just let their kids have access 24 hours a day.

April 15, 2010 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. Troubled Independent

Oh, puke. The perfect family. They made almost 6 million in 2009. PUKE

April 15, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  13. Tim

Wow, do they also make the kids eat vegitables and say please and thank you?

Those Obama's are just such an inspiration to all of us, aren't they?

April 15, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. Jasmine

I need to take inspiration from the Obamas. I know I'm addicted to my computer and iPod it's not even funny. Plus, nothing's exciting on television anyway but UNreality shows so they are spared from missing anything good.

The news and one soap opera is my tv time. Must change my computer habits. I admire the PARENTING a lot!

Oh yeah by the way Conserves.....this is a good example of REAL family values! :)

April 15, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. robert

They prob don't want them to see their dads falling poll numbers

April 15, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. zeb

I wish there were no child abductors or child molesters around, it would have been safe to leave them outside for a while. Any way, I respect this wise lady Michelle Obama a lot for her views about raising kids.

April 15, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |