April 16th, 2010

Obama adviser gets sick at White House

Richard Trumka became ill Friday while at the White House.
Richard Trumka became ill Friday while at the White House.

(CNN) – As President Obama was trying to tout a healthy economy on Friday, one of his top economic advisers was literally getting sick all over the White House.

Democratic officials confirmed to CNN that AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka developed a stomach bug and vomited at the White House as Obama prepared to kick off a meeting of the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board.

Trumka is a member of the key outside group that also includes economic heavyweights like former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker and former Clinton White House official Laura D'Andrea Tyson, which met Friday to discuss the president's push to create jobs and get Congress to pass strong financial reform legislation.

While Trumka's nausea might not be the best metaphor for the president to play up a healthy recovery, AFL-CIO officials downplayed the incident with good nature.

"While President Trumka is sick of big banks fighting Wall Street reform this was in no way related to that," AFL-CIO spokesman Eddie Vale joked to CNN. "He just had a stomach bug and is now resting so he can get ready for his next fight."

The economic board's meeting went forward without Trumka, and Vale said the mishap will have no impact on Obama's efforts to rescue the economy. "We are extremely pleased with the millions of jobs that have been created and saved and look forward to continuing to do even more with the President," he said.

Filed under: AFL-CIO • President Obama • White House
  1. Pkm

He must have seen the gop walking around and it made him sick

April 16, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. Justin Russell

It's stories like these that renew my faith in substantive journalism.

April 16, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. Alex

Trumka puked because he realized what an utterly right-wing corporatist Obama is and regrets having campaigned for a third term of GWB-style presidency!

Labor needs to stop supporting the Democratic Party, which hasn't supported real labor interests or populist economics in at least 30 years. Reaganomics isn't just for Republicans!

Nader/Trumka 2012

April 16, 2010 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  4. Clint, Wa.

Must have been in a room full of Republicans. :-0

April 16, 2010 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  5. Obama Saved My Momma

Thanks to the Obama administration we are not a country without a middle class. Breaks for only the rich and sending the poor to war to protect thier interest. I don't think that is the american way.

April 16, 2010 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. Red by Choice

I feel the same way every time I think of Obama's policies and soaring debt numbers.

April 16, 2010 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. inofritzn

I'm glad you got sick pos

April 16, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Mike

I have that same problem whenever I hear Obama speak.

April 16, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. seebofubar

No surprise there. I'd vomit too if I had to be in a meeting with Obama. He's enough to turn anyone's stomach.
    MILLIONS OF JOBS CREATED OR SAVED? Where? Look at the unemploynent rate. The only thing this moron of a president has done was to slow down the natural recovery of the economy and to destroy the future of our country. What a mistake we made!!

April 16, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Sick to my stomach

Join the crowd.

April 16, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. Bedtime for Obonzo

I guess Trumka got a sneak peek of the REAL deficit projections.

April 16, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. Doug

They created No New Jobs today,now I am feeling sick.

April 16, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. THE TRUTH

got sick on all that socialism??????????? i know the feeling it turns my stomach too

April 16, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Was the vomit green and did his head spin around backward? I ask because I'm pretty sure he's possessed.

April 16, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. JES

Health care at its best.

April 16, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. LacrosseMom(the real one)

Hope he feels better soon. Why IS this news, CNN?

April 16, 2010 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. S Callahan

Man cannot cover what God would reveal.

Feel better.

April 16, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. tess

funny – these people even make themselves sick!

April 16, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. No Incumbents 2010

He was thinking of the consequences of Obama's economic and budget proposals. Now the White House smells like the policies created there.

April 16, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. Tired Ant

I agree Trumka... yours and Øbama's policies make me sick too.

They're like cancer to a functioning economy... our economy has an Øbama stomach bug, too... it keeps vomiting up more and more lost jobs.

April 16, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  21. Dar

This story is making me sick

April 16, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. Don

I feel like vomiting every time I think about Obama too!!

April 16, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Dean

An evil plot by the GOP to poison him

April 16, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  24. Willy Brown

Good, stay sick

April 16, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. rkuipers

I hope he didn't miss Obamas shoes.

April 16, 2010 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |