April 16th, 2010

Obama says Tea Partiers owe him a thank you

President Obama said Thursday night that he thinks the Tea Party movement owes him a thank you.

(CNN) - Tea Party activists marked Tax Day with a high-profile rally in Washington, DC, and other protests across the country, but President Obama says the anti-tax movement actually owes him a thank you.

Speaking at a Democratic fundraiser in Miami Thursday night, the president touted tax cuts in the stimulus measure and the fact that the tax rate has not been increased for those making less than $250,000 a year.

"So I've been amused in recent days by these people having rallies," he told the crowd at the fundraiser to laughter. "I think they should be saying thank you."

Members of the crowd, who paid between $250 to $1,250 to attend the event, immediately rose to their feet and replied "Thank You!"

The White House noted Thursday that federal taxes were reduced by $173 billion in 2009 and said that the average tax refund is about 10 percent higher than last year.

Obama also won a standing ovation from the Miami crowd when he praised the recent passage of the health care reform plan.

"As my vice president said, 'This is a big deal,'" Obama said to laughter in reference of Vice President Joe Biden's verbal slip at the bill's signing ceremony where he was heard telling the president "This is a big F-ing deal"

"And he was right," Obama said.

Filed under: President Obama • Tea Party movement
  1. Henry Miller, Libertarian

Thanking that dweeb for piling a two TRILLION dollar tax burden on us, on top of already absurd levels of taxes, for his health care welfare insanity? Obama is losing touch with reality–or maybe lost it a long time ago.

April 16, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. Dis-Gusted

These so-called "tea partiers" are nothing more than the Republicans keeping everything as negative as possible with the present administration. I say " GROW UP, GET OVER IT; YOU LOST! The best thing the Republicans can do to redeem themselves is support those things they know good and well will help this country. Right now they do not look like the good guys.

April 16, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. Doraine Gordon

Oh, Mr President, please don't wait for any thank yous from that crazy bunch of folks who call themselves Tea Partiers. They are all Republians in disguise. Those people are all followers. They would follow a rock if it got up off the ground and started walking. I see that the GOP leaders are staying away from these crazy folks. These lunatics are following people who aren't even in Politics. I don't get it myself. They need to get a life. I will say again what I have said before. "if you don't like this country get the heck out."

April 16, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. wHater

WE need to REMEMBER who destroyed our economy

April 16, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. stm600

When you raise taxes on capital gains and dividends it affects everyone with any type of investment...401K's, IRA's..etc. If you believe you are not getting touched by tax increases if you make under 250K you are living in the same dream world that got this idiotic administration elected. 2012 cant come fast enough.

April 16, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Jason

Idiot. Obama's not going to end the Bush tax cuts for the middle class. Were there even any Bush tax cuts for the middle class? All I got was a check in June for a few hundred bucks. But Bush lowered the tax rate for the rich by like 6%!

April 16, 2010 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. lucy2

I've been wondering the same thing. Tea partiers, at least the ones getting media attention, seem to be protesting Obama. Yet Obama has not raised taxes at all, and in fact lowered them (very slightly) for a large number of people. As for the future, it's likely he will repeal Bush's cuts for the wealthy, but that hasn't happened yet, so who knows for sure.

I get the idea of being against over taxing and over spending, but where have these people been for the last decade or so, when billions were flying out the door to Iraq faster than you can blink? It seems like a number of these people are simply anti-Obama and his policies, but are doing it under the guise of protesting taxes.

April 16, 2010 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. 2 much!

i love it! You go Mr. President!...these people are so ignorant! And to hear that dumb bimbo Palin speak is like listening to nails scraping across a chalk board! she's so stupid! (well not that stupid, she is screwing these idiots out of $12 million dollars right in front of their noses!)

April 16, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  9. JOHN G

If president Obama wants to bring his message to the people maybe he should speak at one of these rallies instead of only at expensive fundraisers I don't think I should thank him for making me buy health insurance at 4500.00 a year now and look I just recieved a notice that it is raising premiums by 40 percent!!!!!!!

April 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. RJ

What I find interesting is all the tea party and right wing comments are on things that Obama is supposedly going to do but hasn't done. "I want to keep my guns, religion and ammunition" There are no gun control bills pending, nothing stopping freedom of religion.

Even funnier are the 10 tea party goals. Number 4 is a flat tax for everyone – do they realize that would mean massive tax increases for the poor and middle class and massive decreases for the wealthy?

April 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  11. jsd5020

"Maybe these Tea Party folks are protesting against the higher spending now, which WILL lead to higher taxes."

---–

The Tea Party folks have shown a complete disregard and lack of understanding for the CURRENT economic situation; I doubt very much their ability to think, let alone predict, the FUTURE.

April 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  12. KamaraSune

Yet there is a proposal on the floor for a whopping 15 cent increase on every gallon of fuel and the tax increase from the health bill has yet to kick in. For those of you that "live in the moment" tell us this next year at tax time. Hate to tell ya everything in the U.S. is trucked. Fuel goes up it everything will go up.

April 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  13. Scott

You know...I love these right-wing arguments. First they try to convince that your taxes have been raised, then when there is clear evidence that is not the case and returns are higher than the previous year, they switch gears and say...."well, fine....but in the future they are going to be higher". Fear mongering as usual. I can't help but think of the scene in Muppet Treasure Island where Sam the Eagle pretends to be a ghost and scare some pirates. I'll quote him "Boogey....boogey....boogey!"....that's basically the rights argument to everything "boogey,...boogey". Wake up.

April 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  14. Hugo

It's me, you just don't get it. "The hand that feeds them" says it all about your mind set, the government does not feed us, we feed ourselves. The stimulus money did nothing for the private sector in Florida, it kept governmental positions (not jobs in the sense of commerce) going with more of our tax dollars instead of cutting back the burdensome layers of State bureaucracy. These positions simply took tax dollars and put those tax dollars back into the government. I am not saying that we don't need police, firefighters and teachers, I am saying that those recipients of our tax dollars are already at the tax dollar trough and it has done zero for the private side. There is nothing wrong with social security or medicare as long as you have paid your fair share into the fund, it seems to me the problem is the fund is abused by those that have not fully vested into those funds.

April 16, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  15. Jeremy

Fact is, you spend more money than you make, you go in debt. Continue spending more money than you make, you go bankrupt. The sad thing is, it's a black hole of spending. People get used to the handouts/entitlements and it's hard to take those away. So what happens? Taxes continue to rise, spending continues to rise.
    What these people are standing up for is fiscal responsibility. They're not against Democrats or for Republicans; they're against over-spending. Bush was terrible about spending and now Obama is continuing that fiscal fiasco. It might hurt, but it must be curtailed.

April 16, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |