April 16th, 2010

Obama says Tea Partiers owe him a thank you

President Obama said Thursday night that he thinks the Tea Party movement owes him a thank you.

(CNN) - Tea Party activists marked Tax Day with a high-profile rally in Washington, DC, and other protests across the country, but President Obama says the anti-tax movement actually owes him a thank you.

Speaking at a Democratic fundraiser in Miami Thursday night, the president touted tax cuts in the stimulus measure and the fact that the tax rate has not been increased for those making less than $250,000 a year.

"So I've been amused in recent days by these people having rallies," he told the crowd at the fundraiser to laughter. "I think they should be saying thank you."

Members of the crowd, who paid between $250 to $1,250 to attend the event, immediately rose to their feet and replied "Thank You!"

The White House noted Thursday that federal taxes were reduced by $173 billion in 2009 and said that the average tax refund is about 10 percent higher than last year.

Obama also won a standing ovation from the Miami crowd when he praised the recent passage of the health care reform plan.

"As my vice president said, 'This is a big deal,'" Obama said to laughter in reference of Vice President Joe Biden's verbal slip at the bill's signing ceremony where he was heard telling the president "This is a big F-ing deal"

"And he was right," Obama said.

Filed under: President Obama • Tea Party movement
  1. Jerry

His spending of borrowed money is the issue, he is a fool

April 16, 2010 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  2. TCM

Obama's a liar and a fraud; he's getting his thank you in November, and the two years after that will reveal him to be the worst president in history...

April 16, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  3. Well, that is true, but...

Don't hold your breath Mr. President. If you look at the analysis on fivethirtyeight.com, you can see that a LOT of TP is intertwined with Glenn Beck.

And, well, you, Mr. President use logic. GB... well... not so much.

April 16, 2010 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. R.B.

President Obama is so RIGHT! The Tea Party owes him a great deal of thanks! This whole Tea Party thing reminds me of, you know, those people that think Elvis is still alive. It's a weird sort of brain-washing done by right-wing extremist organizations. By the way, have you noticed all the Tea Partiers are older, white, and blue collar??? I think they should picket outside GOP headquarters. At least then, they'd be understood.

April 16, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  5. call me crazy

No the TP won't thank you for cutting taxes or anything else. They will continue to bash everything and everyone. That is all they do. You will hear nothing positive from them.

April 16, 2010 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  6. heyitsme

Thank you? You've got to be kidding me. I'm worse off now than I was a year ago.....and definitely worse off than I was before he took office. I just got a cut in pay and taxes are going up. The stimulus did nothing for me.

April 16, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  7. Liberal4Obama

An average of 4.6% of income, second lowest percentage in the past 50 years... yes the Tea Party should be saying thanks to President Obama for all the tax breaks but we all know this is not about taxes, they just hate him cause he is a democrat and they hate him even more because he is , nuff said

April 16, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  8. Bryan

Mr President.

You know that the Protests are not just about Taxes.
    You also witnessed the LARGEST Anti Goverment protest in the History of the country last November.
    This years wil be MASSIVE.

You will be voted out in 2012 and will have a legacy of Change we can't believe in.

You are a one hit wonder and you only ran for President to score the big cash.

DISGRACEFULL

April 16, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. Our nation is divided and on the brink

Now he wants a "thank you" for selling us out. And he wonders why the people attending the rallies are so angry. Hmmm...seems some people really know how to brew dissent. Don't be fooled; take a deep breath and just vote them out.

April 16, 2010 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. Tired Ant

Thank you (p)Resident Obama. I spent your "middle class tax cut" the same way I spent the one provided by George Du(m)bya... by supersizing my lunch at McDonalds.

Yep, economic illiterates, you are correct... Obamao did indeed give you a tax cut. And to pay for it, he's raising taxes on your boss.

So I have to ask, what good is a couple hundred dollar tax cut going to do you when your boss eliminates your job to pay the IRS for all his employees' tax cuts?

Enjoy you microscopic tax cut, fools. All it will cost you is your job... and likely the job you would otherwise have after that.

Barry Dunham is the Emperor of Unemployment.
    Genuflect to your child god, you idiots.

April 16, 2010 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  11. Conservative American

He can't possibly be that clueless, can he?

April 16, 2010 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. chuck

You are RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16, 2010 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  13. Expat American

So taxes have actually decreased since Obama took office? I guess the Tea Bigots can still continue to wave their 'Socialists Go Back to Kenya' signs if they want too. The most humorous part of seeing many TP-Bigots display signs like that is how many of them actually know where Kenya is?

I always pay a large amount in taxes, and this year was no different. In fact, in retrospect, I probably paid a little more. But I'm fine with that; I can still buy milk. What I don't want is for my tax increase to provide health care for a Tea Party Terrorist's sick child. That would be 'Socialism'. And that would be wrong.

April 16, 2010 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  14. tim

Well anyone who could afford to pay for a plate at Obama's dinner doesnt need to worry about their taxes

April 16, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  15. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Tea Partiers are so misinformed most of those dummies don't realize they got a tax cut. The Tea Party is nothing but republicans in independant clothing. I find amazing how people can be coerced to oppose somehting that is in their best interest.

April 16, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  16. Frank

Obama is completely out-of-touch with the common people of this country. He and his Party will pay a huge price this fall. He may think he is the King of this great country, but it is the PEOPLE who have all of the power.

April 16, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  17. Marie MD

I love it!!! Sarcasm with humor. :) :)
    Those teabaggers are too busy running around the country and wasting precious gasoline to know anything except what the shrill from wasilla and that other woman from MN tells them.
    Glad that they are back home collecting their Medicare and SS benefits.

April 16, 2010 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  18. Sandy Carey

The tea party nitwits are a sterling example of lemmings. They will ultimately follow their self serving leaders over the cliff - sooner than later one hopes.

April 16, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  19. Avg Guy in Red State Kansas

Right on, Mr. President.

Sadly, the followers of the Tea Party movement are for the most part the intellectual equivalent of road kill and don't have a clue about the way our tax code works. Or, for that matter, the world around them.

They're sheep... they're followers, guided by their own misunderstanding and the vitriol of others. For the most part these "tea baggers" only believe the lies they want to believe and are incapable of thinking for themselves.

Generally, their righteous indignation at the world as they see it is as shallow at their intellect. Simple minds often produce goofy solutions because they don't possess the mental horsepower to think through issues and openly listen to the perspectives of others.

April 16, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  20. JIm,VIRGINIA

For him to heap praise on himself for giving us a tax cut financed by passing the cost on to our children and their children is just plain sad.

April 16, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  21. Jan

When people are blinded by hate. What is rational cannot be fully comprehended.

The protest must be seen for what it is blind hate.

April 16, 2010 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  22. FM

You are very right Mr. President. Sometimes people have to be reminded what to do, if they are not aware!

April 16, 2010 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  23. Grundoon

And from me, a hearty thank you, Mr. President!

April 16, 2010 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  24. Jeff

Thank You Mr. President. I am one that applauds what you have done since you have been in office. I did receive tax breaks on my small business as well as some through the Stimulus. Again I say thank you.

April 16, 2010 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  25. Ben in Texas

I'll add my thanks. President Obama is not perfect, but just think what things would be like now with that irrational duffer McCain in the White House, and that dingbat with lipstick a heartbeat away from being POTUS.

Yeah, Mr. President, I'm counting my blessings. Thanks for saving us from that fate, and for replacing the worst president in history.

April 16, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |