April 16th, 2010

Obama says Tea Partiers owe him a thank you

President Obama said Thursday night that he thinks the Tea Party movement owes him a thank you.

(CNN) - Tea Party activists marked Tax Day with a high-profile rally in Washington, DC, and other protests across the country, but President Obama says the anti-tax movement actually owes him a thank you.

Speaking at a Democratic fundraiser in Miami Thursday night, the president touted tax cuts in the stimulus measure and the fact that the tax rate has not been increased for those making less than $250,000 a year.

"So I've been amused in recent days by these people having rallies," he told the crowd at the fundraiser to laughter. "I think they should be saying thank you."

Members of the crowd, who paid between $250 to $1,250 to attend the event, immediately rose to their feet and replied "Thank You!"

The White House noted Thursday that federal taxes were reduced by $173 billion in 2009 and said that the average tax refund is about 10 percent higher than last year.

Obama also won a standing ovation from the Miami crowd when he praised the recent passage of the health care reform plan.

"As my vice president said, 'This is a big deal,'" Obama said to laughter in reference of Vice President Joe Biden's verbal slip at the bill's signing ceremony where he was heard telling the president "This is a big F-ing deal"

"And he was right," Obama said.

Filed under: President Obama • Tea Party movement
  1. Robin

Obama's arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

April 16, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  2. sam, LITTLETON.CO

If you don't believe a word from Obama, you Con's, then take yourself somewhere else, Maybe Haiti, I hear they still have some tents available!

April 16, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  3. katiec

When will the tea party members realize they are being used, manipulated, funded, supported by right wing radicals? Will they
    ever check and admit how much money they have made for the
    GOP PACs? To say they are bi-partisan is absolutely ridiculous
    as they are faithfully , blindly following the irresponsible path the republicans have led them down. Repeating, spouting the same
    lies, distortions, anger, fear daily stated by Fox and other show boaters, including the republican politicians.
    They deserve no creditibility, yet the media continuse to sensationalize, glorify them.

April 16, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  4. cd

ahhh but you did believe every word from bush? interesting how conservatives are all the sudden up in arms now over big government, when bush increased government power ridiculously.

April 16, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  5. Common Sense Americans

Then you have these idiots saying wait till November , I think the surprise is gonna be on them ,and then what are they gonna do when they see that republicans will not make any political gains come November , I geuss their gonna want to start a civil war because they can't get their way , or Obama is making thinks to fair for everyone ! Sounds like angry white people to me on their way to being a minority !

April 16, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  6. Jason

Why do people perceive taxes to be bad? Without taxes, state and federal, you would not have a country. People need to be quiet, be thankful for what they have, and stop trying to hoard "their" money. Where were all these people complaining about taxes when Bush was using their tax dollars to murder and torture people? Now you have improved global relations, infrastructure, people not being as screwed over by the healthcare companies, and we have a problem with paying our taxes? I understand that their are ideological differences, but, a rationale individual, and/or populous, can easily see that we all owe Obama a sincere "Thank you."

April 16, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. Marie7777

He will get a big THANK YOU in 2012! Haha, and lets see how amused he is then.

April 16, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  8. Steve - Austin, TX

Why do people attack the Tea Party supporters?
    This is what makes America great – we have the right to assemble and 'relative' freedom of speech. If people have different vies, then organize and assemble – then America can learm about alternate ideas.

April 16, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  9. Bob

What needs to be realized here is that some people don't think just about their own interests. Are tax cuts and half of the nation paying no taxes at all really helping the U.S. our home. We need to pay some taxes to get us out of debt. Join the Fairtax movement at Fairtax.org. This makes sure everyone including drug lords, and illegal immegrents pay into the system. It takes some of the burdan off honest folks and makes everyone pay their share. Im sure if you use their calculator you will see your taxes actually would go down. Not to mention no more paperwork.

April 16, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. Conservatism is a mental disorder

These people are protesting because they were "told" to by people like Rush, Beck and Palin that make over $250k per year. They can't think for themselves and just imagine how crazy they're going to be when Obama wins a second term in 2012. We might see mass suicides instead of rallies...

April 16, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  11. Dean

My federal tax rate may not have gone up but the cost of almost everything else has to cover their taxes. How about my Medicare premium?? And what about the VAT you are thinking about?

April 16, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Anonymous

forget sarah palin shes tryin to take over the libertarians tea party

April 16, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. Iowa

Where were all you tax and spend haters when Bush was in office?? We just spent Billions and Billions on 2 wars that were NOT paid for. I am pretty sure that when Clinton left office there was a budget SURPLUS!!!! What happened to that when the Republicans and Bush was in office?? It VANISHED.
    Get your facts straight and start to bash both sides....they all have their faults.

April 16, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  14. Marco V

These people have been so misled by Fox (entertainment) , Palin, special interest groups, and by several elected republicans.

April 16, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. johnsonj3

They are just plain dumb as what her name and the rest of the jerks they listen to. I laugh at these t-people all the time. They want jobs but they are not looking for any, they want health care but they are not sick, they want everything handed to them on a silver plater. They need to go some where and sit down. LOL What joke these people are.
    Thank you Mr. President. see you in 2.5 years .

April 16, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Jim

"He lies". I have proof. My Fed tax has increased on my check stub. I have not made any changes to my deductions or increase in pay. I work for a California school district and have not seen a raise in 2 years. I don't make 200k either. My taxes have gone up, that's a fact. It is not due to any contract change, our has been closed since 2008. He lies, just like the CSPAN deal, the Foreign companies can donate to campaings, and increase taxes to the so-called middle class. See you in November at the ballot box.

April 16, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. Jimmy

do you followers of ob not see that there has to be a coming day when these bills have to be paid, that is the agrument, sure everyone likes things for free,just look at the credit card debt, the foreclosures around the country, the day to pay came for them and there was no money to pay, so here we are and soon we will as a country be in the same situation, no thanks pres, keep your handouts and save the country instead, if this man has his way we will soon be a third world nation

April 16, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. Patriot

Love it! Facts. Thank you, President Obama.

Too many teabaggers fail to realize our taxes were cut for 95% of working Americans (verifiable at Politifact), and 35-50% tax credits are being provided for small businesses. In fact, taxes are near its all-time lows (also verifiable).

Would the media please start reporting the truth, instead enabling repeated nonsense behind these misunderstandings at the tea rallies?

April 16, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. Jimmy

Dumbo republicans don't realize that with our debt situation (thanks Mr. Bush!!!!), eventually we will have to either raise taxes and cut services. We will see lower social security payments, higher tax rates, fewer policemen, garbage men, etc. The fault is our own (not me) for electing an idiot repulbican 9 years ago. So suck it up and get over it. Maybe the tea party will volunteer to rebuild our national infrastructure.

April 16, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. Bill

Tea Partiers do not base their words and actions on fact. This has been shown time and again by interviewing Tea Party members. No wonder they don't realize they are paying less tax now than before.

April 16, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. the spectre

I would expect a disconnect or a blame Beck attitude from CNN but the fact is the Tea Party is not a bunch of crazies or what not,they are a wake up call. Obamas comment seems to show the disconnect between the government and people,sounds like Marie Antoinettes comment of "let them eat cake" to me .
    I support none of this,tea party,democrats or republicans.it doesn't matter any more it's all the same and Americas golden age is past.
    I never thought I would be disappointed or embarrassed to be an American.our government doesn't care and is diconnected and corrupt,the people have no direction.

April 16, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Mshel

"Give it time and every one will be paying more taxes on everything..... I don't beleave a word from Obama."

I know just how you feel... I put up with the Bush Admin's hocus pocus for eight years. Very frustrating. Nice job spelling "believe" too. Must be from GW's dictionary.

April 16, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  23. CeeJay

BHO is so rude and arrogant! How can he just dismiss a large contingement of the people he is SUPPOSED to be serving. I guess that I shouldn't have expected any better from him.
    He can't even pretend to have any manners or couth!

April 16, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. Dan Holiday

If he was telling the truth, I would almost agree with him. However, it is a bold faced lie.

April 16, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Alex

Where is the form I sign to give up social security and medicare? I would be all over that!

April 16, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |