April 19th, 2010

McCain says he is now 'a partisan'

Is Sen. John McCain a political maverick or political partisan?
Is Sen. John McCain a political maverick or political partisan?

Washington (CNN) – John McCain the political maverick or the political partisan?

Well, the Arizona Republican senator says it depends on who he is opposing. In 2008 when he was running for president, McCain embraced the maverick moniker even thought he told Newsweek earlier this month that "I never considered myself a maverick."

Primary rival J.D. Hayworth has accused McCain of trying to rebrand himself, which the senator took issue with on Fox News Sunday.

"Well, look, when I was fighting against my own president, whether we needed more troops in Iraq, or whether we - spending was completely out of control, then I was a maverick," McCain said. "Now that I'm fighting against this spending administration and this out-of-control and reckless health care plan, then I'm a partisan."

McCain added, "What I was saying was that I have considered myself a person who's a fighter. I wouldn't be around today if I wasn't a fighter. I fight for the things that I believe in, and sometimes that's called a maverick. Sometimes that's called a partisan. And people can draw their own conclusions."

Filed under: 2010 • Arizona • John McCain
  1. moosehead

'i'm a maverick,... i'm a partisan' . Johnny boy,... methinks you're a charlatan.

April 19, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  2. Mike Scott

My friend your maverickness is a bunch of bull. You have been partisan for a long time. Time for change and incumbents such as yourself need to go!

April 19, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  3. ConsiderThis-FL

How about all the time a "Joke."

April 19, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  4. Jay

I hope you don't win the primary and if you do I hope you lose to a Democrat this fall.

I disapprove of you for bringing us Wasilla's village idiot onto the lower 48. Your judgement is seriously in question if all you could come up with from all the candidates who could have been your VP pick you chose this stupid white trash of a woman to be your pick?

You are a loser politician McCain.

April 19, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  5. Bill from GA

"Two-Face" McCain is at it again. How can you live in Arizona or Nevada and claim to be against Big Government?

Where do these hypocrites think their water comes from? Government water projects keep the West alive. Both states will dry up anyway if the Colorado River keeps shrinking.

April 19, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  6. Librarian

He is above all a sad clown and a fool.

April 19, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. You betcha!

McIdiot can call himself whatever he likes. The simple fact is this tool chose the most unqualified VP candidate since Dan Qualye, risking the entire nation's future and security. For that, he has lost all credibilty and should not be elected to return to the United States Senate. Period.

April 19, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. Mike

I am the "people" I have drawn my conclusion: Your'e an IDIOT!

April 19, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. Dave

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."

That is the reason why McCain is not president. Mr. FlipFlop.

April 19, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. maf

Oh John. . . please stop!! Partisan or Maverick, you are part of the GOP who have lost their way. It is time to retire into the Arizona desert. You can watch the sun go down on the entire partisan party of NO movement that sees a decimated party on the other side of the November mid-terms.

Have fun picking the new GOP leader, your past association has given the world the anomaly that is Ms. Palin. How's that workin' for ya!
    HA HA!!

April 19, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  11. Tom in Wheaton, Illinois

Yeah, John, and sometimes you should just be called "an idiot".

April 19, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. CBR

Oh Senator McCain, just show some backbone and do what is right and not what the Republican as tell you to.

April 19, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. John J, IN

McCain voted against out of control spending, before he voted for it. Gotta love the rock-solid ethics and values of John McCain – just ask his first wife, who after she got in a car wreck and was crippled, John dumped her for a young, rich heiress to a beer distributor.

Solid.

April 19, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. lolo

Please vote this old geezer out. He is truly confused. The time has come for him to retire. He can help Cindy with her beer company. He has had it in politics.

April 19, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  15. Bob of Lompoc

Speaking of " out of control spending", you owe the American for the four U. S. Navy airplanes you wrecked PRIOR to being shot down in North Vietnam. You have alwaysa been an "out of control" nut, or, as they say, a RightWingNut. Until you settle that debt, why don't you just shut up.

April 19, 2010 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  16. RON

McCain is getting old and cranky and it is time to put him out to pasture. He can join some of the other old goats in the pasture.

April 19, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. Tim

Don't worry, we don't know what you are either!!

April 19, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  18. Zach K

McCain is a pouting self-centered sore loser. Gore waited two full years before he criticized the Bush Administration's idea of a war in Iraq, you only waited TWO MONTHS.

That and you introduced Palin to the country. John McCain, I am sick of you, and you are a horrible person.

April 19, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  19. Robert in Texas

Out-of-touch lying scumbag. It's time for Arizona to retire this old man.

April 19, 2010 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. please

Senator McCain continued, "I will call myself anything and do anything to get reelected. I have no morals, position, or ideas, except to fan the flames of uneducated hatred in my party in order to be reelected. For that, I'm proud to be an American."

April 19, 2010 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  21. a little sad

He would call himself a blue-bottomed baboon if he thought it would win him a few more votes.

April 19, 2010 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  22. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

" ... and people can draw their own conclusions."

Conclusion: John McCain has spiraled into desperation to keep a job that he's ill-equipped to do anymore. Just step down, Mr. McCain, and get out of the way for a new kind of thinking and leadership in government.

April 19, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  23. Nick , California

You have served your country well.. now its time to fold your tent and become extinct with the rest of the GOP!

April 19, 2010 10:56 am at 10:56 am |