April 19th, 2010

McCain says he is now 'a partisan'

Is Sen. John McCain a political maverick or political partisan?
Is Sen. John McCain a political maverick or political partisan?

Washington (CNN) – John McCain the political maverick or the political partisan?

Well, the Arizona Republican senator says it depends on who he is opposing. In 2008 when he was running for president, McCain embraced the maverick moniker even thought he told Newsweek earlier this month that "I never considered myself a maverick."

Primary rival J.D. Hayworth has accused McCain of trying to rebrand himself, which the senator took issue with on Fox News Sunday.

"Well, look, when I was fighting against my own president, whether we needed more troops in Iraq, or whether we - spending was completely out of control, then I was a maverick," McCain said. "Now that I'm fighting against this spending administration and this out-of-control and reckless health care plan, then I'm a partisan."

McCain added, "What I was saying was that I have considered myself a person who's a fighter. I wouldn't be around today if I wasn't a fighter. I fight for the things that I believe in, and sometimes that's called a maverick. Sometimes that's called a partisan. And people can draw their own conclusions."

Filed under: 2010 • Arizona • John McCain
  1. Bob of Lompoc

Speaking of "out of control spending", you owe the American Taxpayer for the four U. S. Navy airplanes you wrecked PRIOR to being shot down in North Vietnam. You have always been an "out of control" nut, or, as they say, a "RightWingNut". Until you settle that debt, why don't you just shut up.

April 19, 2010 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  2. vs

Pathetic is the word that aptly described this fogey.

April 19, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  3. Moderate

So your saying you and Sarah Palin were lieing? And Sarah titled her book with a lie? Do you people ever tell the truth?

April 19, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. Republicans Are The American Taliban

If the people of Arizona elect this senile obstructionist again....well they deserve what they get. Remember that he said that Judge Sotomayor was a racist and unqualified. He has done absolutely nothing for the people of Arizona...

April 19, 2010 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  5. Ben in Texas

Babble, babble, blather, stutter, hem and haw.

The White House is not for you, John. You need to check into another kind of home. Quit embarrassing yourself, your party, and the U.S.

April 19, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  6. Jeff Brown in Jersey

This man has no plan, vision or direction. He may even be unhinged. It is time for him to retire. Thank GOD he wasn't elected President!

April 19, 2010 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Ross

Being so old – I think he simply can't remember just what stance he takes most of the time.

April 19, 2010 11:00 am at 11:00 am |