April 19th, 2010

Update: Crist leaves door open to independent bid

Gov. Crist said Monday that he is getting advice about running for Senate as an independent.

(CNN) – Florida Gov. Charlie Crist is appearing increasingly open to the possibility of dropping out of Florida's Republican senatorial primary.

Although Crist has previously said he intends to run as a Republican, he struck a different note in a Monday television interview.

Asked whether he was considering an independent bid, Crist opened the door to the idea.

"I'm getting a lot of advice in that direction," Crist said in an interview with WFTS. "And so, I'm a listener. I'm certainly listening to it."

Earlier in the day, a top Republican campaign official predicted that Crist would not run in the GOP primary.

Related: National Republicans preparing to back Rubio

Filed under: 2010 • Charlie Crist • Extra • Florida
  1. AF.

Gov. Crist Florida people love you. The negative GoPers know you will not team up with them when you go to Washington because you will represent the fellowcitizens of Florida and fight for other American people not the Party. Therefore Rubio is easy to brainwash so let them go to Rubio we support you. I am a democrat but you have done so much for us specially, Property tax, State Farm insurance and much more. Go Charlie IND.

April 19, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  2. chad

this is how it starts. repu vs. repub vs. dem!
    the right will tear itself apart! lol!

April 19, 2010 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. FLShorty

soooo in other words attempt to SNOW the AMerican folks by changing your status...how convienent and STUPID for anyone who falls for that. Don't get me wrong, he is about the most in tune with reality republican that is out there but the rest of those Nut jobs...Go Figure

April 19, 2010 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  4. James

Charlie Crist is delusional if he thinks he can win as an independent. If he decides to run an independent, he will hand the senate seat to Kendrick Meek.

April 19, 2010 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  5. Ross

Crist should run as an independent. He is clearly someone that can strike some common ground with both parties. I think this is why the GOP is trying to push him out of the race so quickly. The far right is at it again trying to polarize people and pit them one against the other. I say, run as an independent. He is certainly more in touch with the majority of us than Rubio is.

April 19, 2010 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  6. jaye

I like this man. I'm not a Republican; they have been the ME party for too long now. Their main problem is their party didn't win the last election and a BLACK man did. People who think so much of themselves that they would forgo what is best for the country are not worthy of leadership. We need people who aren't giving lip service to those they represent or running a personal agenda. We need leaders who are honest and caring; that's Charlie Crist. He has always worked hard for the people he represents and does what he believes is for the common good, not what his party tells him to do. I would think that would be the goal for everyone who runs for office, but apparently a goodly number of them are only interested in what is best for themselves. There are difficult decisions to make to get the country back on it's feet, I'm not inclined to leave those decisions to people who are merely trying to keep themselves in office or get members of their party in office by trying to defeat the positive efforts of others. Carry on Mr. Crist.

April 19, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. Kathleen

I respect Crist more if he would walk away from the Republican Regime. Truly, I believe Crist is a better man than Rubio could ever hope to be!

April 19, 2010 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. Ancient Texan

Charlie shot himself in the foot when he cozied up to Obama and then when he vetoed the bill he'd promised to sign, he finished his self destruction. He might have screwed up enough to lose as an Independent too.

April 19, 2010 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. JustJane

Good for him. When your party is hijacked by the fringe and there's no room for good government you can and should consider an indie run. Lieberman had an 80% solid dem voting record, but that wasn't good enough for the fringe left since he disagreed with them on one issue.

Christ has similarly been a reasonably competent governor after Jeb left the state in a shipwreck sized mess. Granted he's not a foaming at the mouth rightwing extremist loon as the fringe Republican activists insist upon.

Server the radical right what they deserve if he runs indie and wins.

April 19, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. Frank Rizzo

And why not? Go for it Chris don't let the Republicans and lies of others change your mind. Charlie you the man, Florida stands with you Sir.

April 19, 2010 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  11. Edwin

I think it would be awesome... he would probably pull a Lieberman and win.

Both parties would cater to his needs, since he could caucus with either.

April 19, 2010 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Burt

Finally... A republican that may be working for the people and not the party.

April 19, 2010 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. gare

We need more 3rd party and independent candidates. We need to find someone who will balance our budget, flatten our tax rate, cut entitlement programs and stop earkmark and pork spending.

April 19, 2010 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. Illinois Blue Dog

He is the last of a dying breed – a moderate Republican. Kudos to him if he makes a run as an independent.

April 19, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  15. Former Floridian

You go Charlie. Split the vote, but if only the Democrats could find a viable candidate. The Florida Democratic Party of Bob Graham and Lawton Childs is long gone. Too bad!

April 19, 2010 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  16. GuyinVA

Sounds like the Joe Lieberman / Ned Lamont situation in Connecticut in 2006.

April 19, 2010 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  17. David S.

Is he crazy? He's already governor. Why damage his relationship with the party with an independent bid.

April 19, 2010 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. Kevin Cantu

Just go ahead and put the(I) infront of your name already Gov. Crist....I mean the voters of your state won't hate you for it as a matter of fact they'll probably thank you for it in the end...but then again I don't live in Florida sooooo........Hey it's beats putting a (D) or (R) any day. Go go independents=)

April 19, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  19. ltl lulu

I hope he does go Independent. The Republicans have basically shunned himself just because he shook Obama's hand a couple of times and helped properly disburse some of the stimulus money. I say do it Charlie. I'd rather vote for an Independent than a Republican any day!

April 19, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  20. Ricky

I'm a Florida resident and a Democrat (most of the time). I must admit that Crist has been a very good Governor for the state of Florida.
    Rubio I know next to nothing about except for ads I see on TV down here every few minutes. In the ads he does nothing but attack Crist. I'm clueless on what platform he's running on.

April 19, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  21. GOP Participator in FL

If the GOP allows him to drop out and run as an Independent I will quit donating to the party and believe me, I DONATE!

April 19, 2010 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  22. j

He should run and let the voters decide. That's what the political system is supposed to be about – good, viable candidates running, debating the real issues, and giving the voters a choice. Party politics and irrational radicalism shouldn't enter into it at all.

April 19, 2010 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  23. lila

Good. I think Crist has shown honesty in the face of Governing Florida in a very difficult climate. I don't think being honest should force punishment by the GOP on him for cold political reasons. The GOP is purging moderates on the grounds that they are not true conservatives. However, the people they are trying to push are just run of the mill corporate conservatives selling the same old shine on as the Rove team did with Bush.
    The GOP has no problem with "borrow and spend" if it involves unpaid for tax cuts and no bid military contracts. It's The Talking Heads – same as it ever was.

April 19, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  24. Jeff

Oh, Friend of Dorothy in Florida......I beseech thee!

April 19, 2010 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  25. Eric of Reseda

Charlie Christ is beginning to see that the GOP leadership, including Limbaugh and Beck (and oh yeah, McConnell) has gone insane. They have turned on him for all the wrong reasons. I pray that he abandons that nutty Party.

April 19, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |