April 20th, 2010

GOP to unveil campaign pledge after Labor Day

Texas Rep. Pete Sessions said Tuesday that a blueprint document is being crafted that GOP candidates will be encouraged to sign.

Washington (CNN) - House Republican candidates will be encouraged, but not forced, to sign on to the policy blueprint being crafted by GOP leaders for the midterm elections that's being compared to the 1994 "Contract with America."

That set of promises and principles from 16 years ago is widely seen as one of the reasons Republicans succeeded in knocking entrenched Congressional Democrats out of power.

The new yet-to-be-named blueprint being crafted by the current GOP leadership is expected to be unveiled sometime after Labor Day, Texas Rep. Pete Sessions said Tuesday during a campaign briefing with reporters. Sessions is chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, the political wing of House Republican leadership.

"It will be a document worth signing, I predict," said Sessions, who later added that GOP leaders would not "force people" to sign it.

Sessions noted that the blueprint will provide voters with a clear picture of how the Republican Party plans to approach the legislative process. California Rep. Kevin McCarthy, the Republicans' point-man for crafting the document, is calling it the "Commitment to America" as a placeholder until a formal name is adopted.

Unlike the 1994 Contract, Republicans said this new GOP campaign document will draw from the ideas and solutions offered by voters. In the coming months, Republicans will hold town hall meetings in their congressional districts along with creating an online component to solicit suggestions.

This policy blueprint is part of a larger campaign strategy by Republicans to take back control of the House. The GOP needs a net pick-up of 40 seats to secure the majority, which Sessions said is his goal.

"Anything less, I did not fulfill my mission statement," the Texas congressman said. "I am not the least bit interested in coming in second place."

Filed under: GOP
  1. Liberal4Obama

LOL... In Novembers midterms we cancel the republicans contract, they might wanna start working on a resume instead.

April 20, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. freelance

"The new yet-to-be-named blueprint," with a theme of Say No To Everything, "is expected to be unveiled sometime after Labor Day,"

April 20, 2010 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. disgusted

They won't be forced to sign it. They just won't be getting any money or support if they don't.

April 20, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  4. John

It will probably sound a little like this; "We got ours and now don't change anything".

April 20, 2010 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. Charlie in Maine

Is it really gonna take em that lng to figure out how to spell N-O? Maybe they want to translate it into other languages, oh silly mr that's right they don't believe other languages really exsist. "Them Frenchies don't understand cuz they stubborn"

So we have to wait to Labor Day to see what they come up with? Bet it will be good.

April 20, 2010 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. Barb

The 2010 Republican Pledge..

1. I promise to be a good "Republican/TeaPartier
    2. I promise to lie and smile real toothy at the same time
    3. I promise to do nothing
    4. I promise to oppose everything
    5. I promise to practice a look of outrage three times a day
    6. I promise to wink while denying a racist remark
    7. I promise to out any Repulican who doesn't fulfill the "promise"
    8. I promise to continue to be a total jerk

There.... that out'a do it.

April 20, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  7. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

I'm all agog to read the "Commitment to America." Will it be a rehash of the self-righteous, bible-thumping, "purity test" of last year? Or will it take the GOP back to its small-government, fiscally-responsible, roots?

April 20, 2010 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |