April 21st, 2010

'Chickens for Checkups' website mocks GOP candidate

Republican Sue Lowden is the target of a new website paid for by the DSCC.
Republican Sue Lowden is the target of a new website paid for by the DSCC.

Washington (CNN) – Nevada Senate candidate Sue Lowden has been blasted by critics and become the butt of a joke by late-night host Jay Leno.

Now Democrats in Washington are mocking her recent proposal - that patients should "barter" with doctors to lower their health care costs - with a new website.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee launched the site, "Chickens for Checkups," on Wednesday. It slams the Republican's unconventional idea, made recently on the show "Nevada Newsmakers."

"Before we all started having health care, in the olden days, our grandparents, they would bring a chicken to the doctor. They would say, 'I'll paint your house,'" Lowden said on the broadcast.

"Doctors are very sympathetic people. I'm not backing down from that system," she added.

Lowden's Communications Director Crystal Feldman defended her argument, telling CNN, "Sue never offered to exchange livestock for health care, she merely referred to practices used in the past."

"Bartering with your doctor is not a new concept, nor is it a long term solution," added Feldman, who provided a list of news clips that lend credence to the idea.

Lowden's campaign also accused Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of fueling the criticism. Lowden could face-off against Reid in the general election, if she wins Nevada's Republican primary on June 8.

The new DSCC website openly mocks Lowden's idea. It asks, "Do you need medical care? Write a letter to Sue Lowden with your ailment and what you're willing to trade."

The site features a form letter with a line reading, "Instead of money, I'm willing to offer a doctor my … "

Respondents can then select items, that they are supposedly willing to offer a doctor. The choices include "10 chickens," "2 goats," "indentured servitude" and a "new log cabin."

DSCC National Press Secretary Deirdre Murphy blasted Lowden's barter idea as "bizarre" and told CNN that it demonstrates that Lowden is "completely out of touch with reality."

Filed under: 2010 • Extra • Nevada • Popular Posts • Sue Lowden
  1. Catherine in SD

I was fortunate in that when I was pregnant with my son, did the laundry and ironing for my doctor and his family. I couldn't have paid for the prenatal exams if not for that.

April 21, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Aaaah, the best the GOP has to offer. How much you wanna bet this is precisely what they planned to introduce as their plan for health care reform until someone realized at the last minute that there aren't enough chickens for everyone?

April 21, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Allen Hussein

So typical. Republicans have no practical solutions to anything so all they can come up with is the absurd.

April 21, 2010 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. Susan in Arkansas

I worked for a group of doctors in a medical practice for years and let me tell you, if you didn't have insurance or cash, you wouldn't make it through the front door. Some of the docs were very kind hearted, but you can't make a car payment with a chicken. Ms. Lowden is so out-of-touch it isn't funny.

April 21, 2010 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. JR

Maybe she trying to become the Nevada Bachmann, there's always room for one more nitwit in the GOP. Especially since most with intelligence have bailed.

April 21, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. Frank Tatun

Figures..another great "solution" on healthcare from the Republican do-nothings!

April 21, 2010 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. MaS103

Holy cow (literally)... is this the best the Republican party has to offer? Yeah, I'm sure my doctor would be happy to accept a chicken from me instead of my insurance card. Geez, where has this woman been hiding for the past 100 years?

April 21, 2010 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  8. Mark K

I don't suppose tea party types would care, but this is tax evasion unless the Dr declares the chickens as income.

April 21, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. Sunney

Yep...this is the cream of le creme of the GOP...I bet that many people highly regard this candidate...it's like when Bush ran....people just close their eyes and blindly follow...like sheep...maybe she is rich and can buy influence like the Bush's...wierd that someone would advertise such a stupid idea...Again. i bet there are a whole bunch of people saying, "Oh yeah! Let's barter...wow what a revolutionary idea..."

April 21, 2010 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. Mark

Wow! What a great idea! I'm just a working class guy with little to offer. Maybe I can sing a little song, do a little dance. I can bow and scrape, beg, humiliate myself as I cry for medical treatment for my family. How forward looking! Vote Republican!

April 21, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  11. Rush Gingrich Palin VII

"In the olden days".........wow we all walked to school...we had no money......we wore hand me downs.....

I will give her this though...she is the first GOP person to come up with anything besides NO.......atta girl.

In the old days we had McCarthism.....let's pray that crap does not reappear

April 21, 2010 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. NotaVoter

Now, she can be the VP candidate for Sarah Palin 2012?!?!?! :-)). both the ladies are bizarre!!

April 21, 2010 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  13. Mike Cooper

Lowden is correct when she states that this happens. I still remember how my uncle, a woodworker, once bartered a full custom childrens playground set to his dentist in exchange for braces for my 3 nieces a while back.

Lowden's mistake is one of perspective. Here in the 20th century this is not a solution to the status quo, but sad illustration and indictment of it.

April 21, 2010 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  14. GI Joe

I guess that means we can pay her in hogs and chickens too – no big fat salary with all the days off and healthcare, etc. AND no retirement benefits forever and ever. Get it in a written contract !!

April 21, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. cheryl

I have negotiated twice with doctors who fees were above what the insurance company allowed. One was $78 move and one was $415. Both times the doctors waived the excess charge. It never hurts to try. It's not barter but it's negotiations,

April 21, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  16. Karly P

Mocking the GOP? They should be mocking the Indonesian/Kenyan head of the regime, who talks about these 57 States, 3,000% savings, the Austrian language, and wonders whether the entry into the WH was thru a window.

April 21, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  17. Cynthia - Arkansas

JUST HOW STUPID ARE THE REPUBLICANS? I swear, they seem to be trying to outdo each other. Are there any adults or any intelligent people left in this party?

April 21, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. Anita in AZ

All I can say is "WOW".

April 21, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. S. Okrie

I have lived in Nevada for over 30 years, and in that period I have seen some dumb politicians but this Bimbo called Lowden tops them all.

She is recommending that people trade their property, including their body, with the doctor in exchange for health care. This is the person Nevada would send to Washington to replace the most powerful legislator in the country, Senator Harry Ried. God forbid.

April 21, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  20. Neaderthal Republicans

Lowden, Palin, Bachmann ... are ALL Republican women this dumb?

Don't they have 1 that is worthy of office?

April 21, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. bill

one comment.just another right wing FOOL.

April 21, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  22. j

This is the best candidate? Really?!? I wish voters would pay more attention to this type of thing. It's candidates like this that make for bad government.

April 21, 2010 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  23. Elie H

What a dolt..typical Republican.

April 21, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  24. Ain't life strange?

If Doctors want a chicken they could just go to the local Piggley Wiggley and cut out the middle man. Really?? What year is this anyway?

April 21, 2010 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  25. LC in CA

What she's saying is historically accurate, despite all the ridicule. Doctors once actually practiced medicine for the benefit of their communities, not to fill their own wallets with insurance markups and unnecessary tests.
    Imagine such a thing!