April 21st, 2010

DeMint says Tea Party activists leading spiritual revival

Sen. Jim DeMint says the Tea Party movement is ushering in a spiritual revival akin to the religious fervor that preceded the American Revolution.

(CNN) - South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint - whose profile has risen considerably among conservative activists over the past year - says the Tea Party movement is ushering in a spiritual revival akin to the religious fervor that preceded the American Revolution.

"Tea Party crowds [have] a spiritual component. I think it's very akin to the Great Awakening before the American Revolution," DeMint told David Brody of the Christian Broadcast Network in an interview airing Thursday. "A lot of our founders believed the American Revolution was won before we ever got into a fight with the British. It was a spiritual renewal."

The National Humanities Center describes the Great Awakening as a reaffirmation of the view that "being truly religious meant trusting the heart rather than the head, prizing feeling more than thinking, and relying on biblical revelation rather than human reason."

"'I'm 'praying for you' comes up more than anything else in these crowds so I know there's a spiritual component out there," DeMint also said. "I think as this thing (the Tea Party movement) continues to roll you're going to see a parallel spiritual revival that goes along with it."

The first term senator has become a favorite among conservatives and Tea Party activists over the past year after endorsing several dark-horse candidates in key Senate primaries - sometimes against the wishes of the Republican Party.

He first broke with some of his Senate colleagues last year to endorse Marco Rubio for Senate in Florida, long before the former state House speaker emerged as the favorite to win the GOP nomination over Gov. Charlie Crist, and again broke ranks Wednesday by backing Marlin Stutzman in Indiana who is challenging party-favorite and former GOP senator Dan Coats.

DeMint has also backed Ken Buck in Colorado, Pat Toomey in Pennsylvania and Chuck DeVore in California.

Pressed on how he expects a spiritual revival to play out, DeMint said he predicts Americans, frustrated with government, will instead turn to God.

"People are seeing this massive government growing and they're realizing that it's the government that's hurting us and I think they're turning back to God in effect is our salvation and government is not our salvation and in fact more and more people see government as the problem and so I think some have been drawn in over the years to a dependency relationship with government and as the Bible says you can't have two masters and I think as people pull back from that they look more to God."

Filed under: Jim DeMint • Tea Party movement
  1. geecee

Hey, there, Demented. How did that "Waterloo" plan work out for you? Religion can destroy one's faith in God. More people have died in the name of Religious Wars since the Earth began and you are still pushing this nonsense about Religion being important in a person's life? Only if the person has no common sense of morality do they need to have religion drummed into their heads week in and week out. Some people manage to function just fine without being brainwashed on a weekly (or daily) basis. A person can be reverent without being religious. Besides, Jesus Christ was a Socialist if ever there was one. He said "Love Your Neighbor as Yourself" and "Whatever you do to the least of my brethren, that you do unto me". Ever hear those phrases, oh Demented One??

April 21, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. James, Houston,TX

Jim Demint is professing to return to the "Bicameral Mentality"; It appears to where the "tea party' founders are leading the Herd!

April 21, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. p

They are just old white repubs with social security and medicare who claim to be anti-government.
    They worship fox phony news which is owned by a foreigner, Rupert Murdoch from Australia. He's only in it for the money.
    Imagine these so-called patriots supporting a foreign guy's view of how Americans should live and vote!
    Ironically a lot of them question our own president's citizenship.
    They are confused, I guess. Senility kicking in?
    Or are they un-American?

April 21, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  4. Jay T.

Oh, Joy! Just think of how great things were when religion and the state were one. We need to just forget about everything post-Enlightenment and return to the Dark Ages so this guy can burn some people at the stake.

April 21, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. pharoah

Surely y'alls need a spiritual revival to catch up with those who experienced their epiphany in the 60's and even before that!
    I wish you all well in your revival. Welcome to the ranks of the reborn. We love you.

April 21, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. Annie, Atlanta

This is turning out to be a really scary time in our nation's history. These people are so misinformed, and the GOP politicians are encouraging it. Keep them dumb and scared is campaign strategy. We have a responsibility to inform and protect these people from their enablers (who just want their votes) and from themselves. Real and responsible media is the answer. Now how do we go about getting it?

CNN, I've turned to you since the beginning to keep us informed, but you're falling down on the job by promoting these people, and by proxy, promoting their ignorance and misinformation. Please stop and take responsibility for your actions and live by your own words, "the most trusted name in news." Thank you.

April 21, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  7. BMS

Tea Partiers = Birthers
    DeMint = Mullah Muhammed Omar

April 21, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. ramtruck2500

Well thats about it for me and the tea baggers. Realkly does'nt anyone understand that religion and politics is simply not a good mix??? move to Iran if you want a theocracy. I do not support any church thing except bringing this country into a moresecularized environement. Case in point the molestations issues of laste. Why are these people not prosecuted for the lives they ruined? And why do I want to be governed by a group I refuse to accept into my life like a bunch of pushing, hypocritical evangelical republicans?

April 21, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. GOP stripper

You have got to be kidding...Demented is a better name....please spay and neuter your south carolina GOP politicians

April 21, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. Dave

I swear these right-wing nut jobs and Bible-thumping zealots must get dumber by the minute...

April 21, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  11. sam, LITTLETON.CO

What is so spriitual about these bigots. All they do is spout their hate and racist remarks. Please God! Show them all how to be Human!

April 21, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. kmp

Hey DeMint I think you need to go back and read your history books. Last time I checked the Great Awakening had nothing to do with the Revolution nor any feelings of victory. If you would go back and read some facts, the Revolution was a direct correlation of events at the end of the French and Indian Wars and treaties that were signed and broken and discontent within the colonies of Englands unwillingness to allow equal representation of the colonist. There was no religion involved.

April 21, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. Michael

Two great lines regarding members of the Tea Party based on polling results:

"If you were to make a Venn Diagram of the issues Tea Party members care about, and the issues Tea Party members are confused about, you'd only see one circle."

"Confused group of misled people"

Steven Benen Washington Monthly

April 21, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Bill NY

I think DeMint and the tea partyers are smoking tea

April 21, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. drew Williams

Bible-thumping hypocrite who thinks he found a new group to which he can pander, and a new way to protect his career. Nothing more.

April 21, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. al in memphis

Let see, I need all the votes I can get so what can I say to get them– I know what, I tell them they are the greatest patriots since Paul Revere.

Get ready in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, - The next great American awakening ................

April 21, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. Concerned4Fla

Trying to consolidate the base, eh Jimmy?

Hmmm...government informed by a book of old stories, low taxes, no social services, no gun control. I think Senator Jim DeMint(R), South Carolina, might be advocating the Somalian model of governance. Good luck with that approach, Jim.

April 21, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. Larry

Gawd, DeMint...Give it up!

Everytime I see you, McCain or Palin on the news I about lose my lunch.

You Republicans are a pathetic bunch. I'll be glas when you're all out of Washington.

April 21, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. George

All I can say is God save us from these people.

April 21, 2010 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Jim, San Antonio

These people are lunatics! I'm a weekly churchgoer and these nuts don't represent me.

April 21, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  21. drew Williams

This is the guy who said gays, lesbians and single mothers living with their boyfriends should not be issued teaching licenses. Had enough of him now?

April 21, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  22. Jasmine

Spiritual??? These Tea Party folks are really full of themselves, high on arrogance and righteousness. Maybe they spike their tea with Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

April 21, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Brian

I hope he is right. Consequently, the writer of the article is obviously biased, given the definition of the "Great Awakening" by the National Humanities Center. I am sure there are other definitions for the Great Awakening by other groups that are not quite as disparaging. Perhaps include one next time.

April 21, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  24. drew Williams

"Prizing feeling over thinking?" Whoooa, I thought this was the hobgoblin of the liberals.

April 21, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. KLW

The good people of South Carolina should be really "proud" of their choice for Senator. Are you serious??

April 21, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |