April 23rd, 2010

Arizona governor signs immigration bill

PHOENIX, Arizona (CNN) – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a state bill Friday that requires police to determine whether a person is in the United States legally, which critics say will foster racial profiling and discrimination but supporters say will crack down on illegal immigration.

The Republican governor also issued an executive order that would require additional training for local officers on how to implement the law without engaging in racial profiling.

"This training will include what does and does not constitute reasonable suspicion that a person is not legally present in the United States," Brewer said after signing the bill.

Previously, officers could check someone's immigration status only if that person was suspected in another crime.

Full story

Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Jan Brewer
  1. Voice of Reason

ok – so all you white, racist idiots who want to enforce this nazism: How many of you are going to go out and pick vegetables in the hot sun for 10-12 hours a day for $3.50 an hour? Yeah – legal or not, these people are a fact of life, and a vital part of our economy.

Please stop and think this through (if you are able).

April 23, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Why not sign it into law? It's a perfectly safe political grandstand for her. Her base and the racist residents of AZ will love it and it won't last long under Constitutional scrutiny anyway, so it goes bye-bye but she still gets to claim being a champion of all the white people in AZ who can't stand that they're slowly becoming the minority.

April 23, 2010 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Roc

I'm not sue this new law goes far enough. We need a much stronger crack down on illegals. There was a time during the 1920's when people came here to attain citizenship the right way. Once people were excited about becoming an American, learning our language, and embraching our way of life. This is not the case today. The illegals today don't want to become Americans; they want all the rights of citizenship without embracing what we have here. I have seen far too many times Mexcian flags flying in front of homes, people refusing to speak english and trying to force their culture on us. I once heard someone singing our national anthem in spanish. And that is wrong in so many ways! If they (wherever they're from) are so proud of their home country then why are the here? Stay home and fix what you have!!
    What will it take for the good people of this country to wake up and face the fact we have a real problem here?
    Perhaps the " I could have had V-8" moment will come when the Mexican flag is flying over the White House and the new president delivers his (or her) acceptance speech in spanish.

April 23, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. We're still a nation of laws

What part of enforcing the law do you not understand?

April 23, 2010 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Independent

How can someone identify just by looking at them who is an undocumented person? Read my lips they will use racial profile against Hispanics, Chinese, and all minorities. It’s so appalling how our country is going back 50-60 years and think violating people basics constitutional rights is the way to resolve issues like illegal immigration. Are they going to stop someone that looks white to ask for papers? NO they will not because this narrow minded people think the only people illegally living in our country look brown speak with accent or look Chinese or foreigner. Guess what I got news every year people coming from many countries came legally and overstayed their visas and they may look perfectly white and mingle with the rest of the population but they are undocumented..I think we need to ask Arizonians to watch again “The Proposal” situations like that happen every day.
    Seriously shame on them this is just plain racist and political propaganda for the extreme ring wing of the Republican Party. Same thing happen in California with the infamous proposition 187 and The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit declared it UNCONSTITUTIONAL, what a waste of taxpayers money for these so call conservatives calling every day for responsibility with spending.
    For now on if we go to Arizona we better have our papers regardless because if we look like illegals we will end up in jail..better yet don't go to Arizona at all..How's that for a solution, Arizona is doing so "great" economically they don't need the money from people that look illegal.

April 23, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  6. Steve (the real one)

LacrosseMom(the real one) April 23rd, 2010 5:19 pm ET
    Careful America, when you allow fear and hate to dictate your laws!
    --------------–
    Interestingly enough, you used the word "laws". Do we currently have immigration "laws" on the books? Are they currently being enforced? NO! Why? No guts, being PC and wanting votes! Illegal mean against the "law". Illegal means criminal activity at some level. While there is liberal bleeding for the illegals, why is there no liberal bleeding for the AMERICAN rancher who recently was killed by illegals in Arizona! If you feel the current "laws" are unjust, work to change them. Until them. ENFORCE THEM!

April 23, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Al Geist

Arizona passing this bill just proves that racial hatred is alive an well in America. How many legal aliens will be persecuted by the Arizona Gestapo until Americans realize that unless you are a Native America, chances are you are a decendent of an illegal alien.

April 23, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Jake

absolutely disgusting!

April 23, 2010 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  9. DB

The law suites want come from the illegal immigrants. They will come from all the US Born folks who will be subjected to this.

Reading some of the past comments on this would have you believe no major crimes are committed in AZ by US Citizens.

I'm all for stopping illegal immigrants but this has the potential to get way out of control. People now will be running from the cops just because they forgot their papers.

What happens when an off duty cop or firefighter or gov't offical family member is stopped and asked to show his/her papers?

April 23, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Voice of Reason

Funny – all the self-identified Arizona residents here seem to have a lot of anger and hatred. Also they feel right at home with racism. They all apparently have collective memory-loss about what happened in Germany 70 years ago.

Sounds like a real nice place. To be FROM.

April 23, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. Foreign born

How do I prove I am an American citizen?
    Do I have to bring my U.S. Passport with me when I visit my friend in Tucson? I was born overseas and so my birth certificate is from another country – how else can I "prove" I am here in the United States legally? Perhaps I will not ever visit Arizona again – my friend will have to come and see me instead.

April 23, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. An 8 year old ELEPHANT dung heap, does not transform into compost in just 1 year!

And republiKKKans call Dems "tax and spend".

Wait until the good citizens paying taxes in Arizona get the deportation and jail costs for this little gem.

The increase in taxes to pay for this bill will make the Dems look like hero when it comes to taxing.

April 23, 2010 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. LetsGetAlong

The GOP has use the election of the first African American president to scare the hell out of white folks and passed the most discriminating laws in the country...first Texas with the school board, then Virginia with Confederate history, now Arizona with immigration...What state is next??? Where is the Tea party to complain about the overreaching government??

April 23, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  14. The unsub

so what happens to the Mexican on the corner selling strawberries? Do the Police jam him/her up just for kicks? What about Russians, Hmong, Vietnamese, and Indians, and other nationalities who are here illegally? Are they exempt?

April 23, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. Brenda

Arizona is number one in the country-–maybe even the world-–in regard to kidnapping, ID theft, auto theft, armed home invasions, etc.-–all due to ILLEGALS!!!

GREAT JOB ARIZONA!!!!--Show your support for Arizona and the rule of law-–by planning your next vacation in Arizona!!!!

April 23, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  16. Sniffit

Glimpse inside a GOPer's mind:

OK – Calling Obama a Nazi and comparing him to Hitler for trying to get the government to subsidize the poor buying health care insurance from private insurers.

Not OK – Comparing this AZ law to the incremental laws passed by Nazi Germany against the Jews during the lead up to concentration camps and WWII...which, e.g., required Jews having their papers at all times and eventually their tattoos.

April 23, 2010 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  17. NO Way No AZ.

Just canceled our trip to AZ. I'm biracial and American. I could be mistaken for Latino, it has happened before. I would think Local Law Enforcement has better things to do. Why is this an issue now, Former Presidents did nothing about illegal immigration. Now some of you racists are blaming President Obama. Why don't all of you move to AZ.

April 23, 2010 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  18. notfooledbydistractions

I sure hope AZ goes bankrupt paying for all the extra law enforcement and lawsuits coupled with this bill. I sure hope my federal tax dollars aren't going to subsidize this giant step back. When the crime rate skyrockets because the police are too busy playing immigration agents, I hope all the AZ residents will be happy.

Who will they single out next? Single women? All lefthanded people?

Being from TX, I'm glad that our state is no longer the national embarrassment – AZ wins hands down.

April 23, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  19. carmikal

I understand what they are trying to do but how many issues will result in allowing police to handle something like this?? How much time will end up being spent on the citizen status of people rather then fighting crimes? What will stop police from just pulling over everyone that looks like they are of latino descent?? The profiling in this state will be CRAZY! I hope the GOP isn't still trying to go after the latino vote because Arizona just killed that!!!

April 23, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  20. Anonymous

NEWSFLASH, This is about ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS...ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, once more everybody ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

There is a full blown drug war going on in Mexico. The violence is spreading over the boarder. We have millions of ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS in the country because we don't enforce the laws in place.

The people of Arizona are trying to enforce the rule of law and the liberals are up in arms what else is new. Since 70 % of the pop there is for this then I guess they are all Racists, Bigots, Haters, Anti Hispanic, Anti Obama Etc. Etc. Etc.

This is getting old.

April 23, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. We're still a nation of laws

My name is Uncle Sam.
    And I am a social worker.

April 23, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  22. Michael Armstrong Sr.

To bad so sad good by Poncho .

April 23, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  23. c spurgeon

Got to be an answer but don't think this is it. Is a place to start though. Secure the borders, national id card for everyone and immigration policy to take care of whats here..By everyone I mean all of us...

April 23, 2010 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Susan

How about some common sense? Since Arizona borders Mexico, it is logical and reasonable that most illegals will be MEXICAN! How can that be profiling? I have had to provide my birth certificate a number of times in my life, so am I being profiled?

April 23, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I am saddened, as a legal immigrant, by those other legal immigrants posting here their joy that "illegals" willbe persecuted in this manner. You have evidently forgotten, perhaps, what may have brought your family here in the first place. And are more than willing, now that you are safely esconced to turn your back on others that you can now proudly join in calling ILLEGALS.

You got yours huh? Throw the bums out. How dare they escape whatever it is they are running from (political persecution, starvation, unemployment, civil war, certain death) and crowd YOUR country.

Wow. Fine. Are they also rounding up illegal Asian, Russian, African , European immigrants or are they just targeting my brown-skinned, easy to spot Mexicans and Central Americans brothers and sisters.

I know we have laws in this country. I also know that we persecute groups of people in this country. I also thought that this country had a heart and aspirations for justice. I cetainly thought that those of us from precisely these types of countries would NOT join the clueless, racist, rabble in chanting THROW THE BUMS OUT, if only because we know better.

I've been wrong before.

God Bless all the immigrants in America. That would be every last one of us.

April 23, 2010 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |