April 23rd, 2010

Arizona governor signs immigration bill

PHOENIX, Arizona (CNN) – Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a state bill Friday that requires police to determine whether a person is in the United States legally, which critics say will foster racial profiling and discrimination but supporters say will crack down on illegal immigration.

The Republican governor also issued an executive order that would require additional training for local officers on how to implement the law without engaging in racial profiling.

"This training will include what does and does not constitute reasonable suspicion that a person is not legally present in the United States," Brewer said after signing the bill.

Previously, officers could check someone's immigration status only if that person was suspected in another crime.

Full story

Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • Jan Brewer
  1. Travis In Colorado

That is GREAT news. Finally a state grows some you know what and does what is right, not politically correct. I wish Colorado would do the same. Speaking as a person of mixed race, (Hispanic and White) Illegals are a DRAIN on the economy. I can't go to some other country and DEMAND citizenship just because I've been living and working there ILLEGALLY. They would throw my ass out and you all know that. These people are not paying taxes, and living off the system at the same time. I'm tired of my high taxes, and not getting anything near to what these people get. This bill was supported by the MAJORITY of people in Arizona, not just a few people. Congratulations to the people and state of Arizona. Make Colorado Next!

April 23, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. Capt. Smash

This so wrong and anti-Semitic this Nazi fascism the rethugs hate anyone with color Jews Blacks, Latinos. If it’s not White it’s not Right!

Did the Indians ask the Pilgrims let me see your papers!

Next will the concentration camps and then gas chambers. The rethuglicans have gone mad and hate anyone with color!

All true Americans need to boycott Arizona! Do not travel to that state or spend any money in that state.

April 23, 2010 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Kenny K

AZ will not be able to deport anybody without US Immigration Dept getting involved. It will pay for their housing and feeding.

April 23, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Robert

This country was founded on illegal immigration and is the backbone that allowed us to flourish and marginalize the native american population. Arizona just took a big step backwards.

April 23, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. 8 Years of the Bush Error = Recession and Record Unemployment for ? Years.

Kinko's will love this new law.

Now all Arizonians will have to have laminated copies of either their birth certificate or SS card.

April 23, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. Think

Because it may be difficult or costly or not politically correct does that mean we don't enforce our laws?

April 23, 2010 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. Homer Eubanks

I am a born American citizen and caucasian, I don't mind being asked to show an I D card of that is what it takes to have sovereign and secure country again. Arizona I for one, am with you 100 percent.

April 23, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I happen to agree with this bill, anybody that has never been to Arizona needs to shut up, those people are being over run with illegals, I hope they round them all up and throw them back over the fence, If you want to come to our country do it legally or either get out!!!!!Nobody will ever tell you this in your face but we don't want you here.

April 23, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Jesus the Zombie version

I actually want this bill to play out. My prediction is it will fail and "legal" Americans will feel it when you have to pay double or tripple for produce.

Or did you think that all the companies that benefit off of cheap labor wouldn't pass their losses on to the customer?

Sure it may be unfair to hire illegals but when 80% of Americans benefit off of that cheap labor, it's no wonder nothing has been done. But like I said, you'll notice it more when companies take it out on your wallet.

April 23, 2010 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Oh the horror!

Who will they single out next?
    Murderers?

April 23, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. Dave

I can't help but notice how ill tempered most of the liberals on this site seem so be lately. They must be have that feeling impending doom. Oh well, mabey they shouldn't have gone so far left with their policies.

April 23, 2010 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Heather, Seattle

Shame on Arizona for creating a law that gives police the power to infringe on citizens and legal immigrants civil rights. So now citizens who may be latino or appear to be of darker skin may be detained by police if they don't have the proper papers on them. I agree that the Federal Government has not done enough to combat illegal immigrants but this goes too far. It reminds me of some of the most awful times in recent history like the Nazis or the Japanese internment. As long as Arizona has this racist law in place I will not set foot in that state.

April 23, 2010 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. WhoCares?

"The people of Arizona are trying to enforce the rule of law and the liberals are up in arms what else is new."

I would say any god-fearing human being that has a soul are up in arms over this. Sadly, you seem to be neither.

April 23, 2010 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"These people are not paying taxes, and living off the system at the same time."

The second we give them amnesty we can start sucking them dry like the rest of us. You people are making self-contradictory arguments...and that's generally considered a sign that your position is based on something irrational, like fear, anger or even racism, as opposed to well researched and supportable reasoning.

April 23, 2010 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  15. Margaret J.

The Democrats are truly on the wrong side of this issue. Attempting to be oh-so-humane, they are ignoring the citizens of Arizona. I live but 50 miles from the border and am truly sick of this massive invasion. While most of the invaders are Hispanic, we also get them from all over the world. It is not the responsibility of we Arizona taxpayers to protect this border. Where are you, federal government? Where the hell are you????

And, no, I am definitely not a Republican. Left those jerks a very long time ago.

April 23, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  16. Jesus the Zombie version

I see a lot of people saying "the law is the law".

Well, HCR is a law now. So I guess that means ALL of you who support this law support that law right?

April 23, 2010 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Wendy Davis-Dar

Coming from the family of a LEGAL immigrant into this country, I congratulate the Arizona legislators for finally realizing that illegal aliens are breaking the back of this country and breaking the law!

It took 10 years of hard work for my husband to become a U.S. citizen but we are proud to say we did it legally. We didn’t hire attorneys to assist with the process, just read and read and read, followed and obeyed the rules. We stood many hours in long lines to get questions answered but were helped tremendously by the wonderful immigration officers at the Bloomington, MN INS office.

It is not a right to be in this country, it is a privilege and that privilege must be earned. Go Arizona, you are doing the right thing. May the rest of this nation realize that until we tackle the immigration issue, time spent on healthcare reform and reforming our education system is a waste of time! Illegal immigration, the state of education in this country and healthcare are tied together. We must address the real problem before we will see progress in the other areas

Wendy Davis-Dar
    Minnesota

April 23, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. GI Joe

I can't help but notice how ill tempered most of the tea-baggers on this site seem so be lately. They must have that feeling of impending doom.

April 23, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  19. Brenda

70% of the citizens in Arizona supported this new Bill/law.

If the liberals in Arizona do not like it........They can pack their bags and leave with the illegals!!

Hey, maybe they can go to California--where the entire economy/state has been DESTROYED due to illegals and loony left liberal policies!!!!

And, the Republicans are hoping that Obama, Pelosi and Reid try to bring up amnesty for illegals again--when millions of US ciitizens are without jobs and the MAJORITY does NOT want illegals rewarded/accommodated in any way.

April 23, 2010 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Lynda/Minnesota

Wow! Such hate from the GOPers. And yet, no talk of arresting those who EMPLOY the illegals?

April 23, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  21. ThinkAgain

Arizona has a problem with illegal aliens because people are willing to break the law and hire them.

Arizona should pass a law allowing police to make surprise inspections of any company's hiring and payroll records, and throw in jail and fine the owners of any company (or individual) who is hiring illegals aliens.

April 23, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  22. Tim in Miami

AWESOME!

Hope our governor signs a similar bill here in Florida.

April 23, 2010 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. Think

70% of Arizonans support this law – that includes many Democrats, Hispanics, liberals, etc.

April 23, 2010 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. ThinkAgain

Every job I was ever hired for over the last 30 years required that I show my Social Security card and proof of citizenship.

How is it that so many employers don't require this of their employees?

Could it be that they (the employers) don't mind breaking the law when it benefits them?

April 23, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. Lynnette

I don't think this is going to go over well with the Hispanic community in Arizona. This state's politicians definitely have a problem with minorities, just look at it's history. It will come back to bite them in the end and they won't be able to blame anyone but themselves.

April 23, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |