April 26th, 2010

Obama welcomes Bronx Bombers to White House

President Obama met with the New York Yankees Monday at the White House.
President Obama met with the New York Yankees Monday at the White House.

Washington (CNN) - President Obama, a diehard Chicago White Sox fan, praised the New York Yankees for their dedication to their sport and community on Monday, but couldn't resist taking a few shots at the franchise that last year captured its 27th World Series title.

"It's been nine years since your last title, which must have felt like an eternity for Yankees fans," Obama told the team at a White House ceremony. "I think other teams would be just fine with a spell like that, the Cubs, for example. This is a team that goes down to spring training every year expecting to win it all, and more often than not, you guys get pretty close. Of course, if I had [Yankees pitcher Mariano] Rivera, I'd get pretty close too."

Obama acknowledged the Yankees superiority in 2009, but warned the current team, which includes a slew of first ballot Hall of Famers, not to grow complacent.

"For a White Sox fan like me, it's painful to watch Mariano's cutter when it's against my team, or to see the Yankees wrap up the pennant while the Sox are struggling on the South Side. Although I do remember 2005, people, so don't get too comfortable," Obama said, alluding to the most recent White Sox World Series title.

Obama hosted the Bronx Bombers in the East Room, and singled out first baseman Mark Teixeira, shortstop Derek Jeter, catcher Jorge Posada and manager Joe Girardi for their dedication to public service.

"[W]hat people tend to forget - especially after watching their teams lose - is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do," Obama said.

Following Obama's remarks, Girardi presented Obama with a number 27 Yankees jersey, autographed by the team.

Filed under: New York • President Obama • White House
  1. Uncle Sam

There is not enough room in the White House for their Ego's Obama's barely fits.

April 26, 2010 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. mjm

Oh please, Obama is NOT a die hard fan of the White Soxs. Far from it. And when I first looked at the title, I that Bill Ayers was coming for a visit.

April 26, 2010 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. MARCIA

Perhaps Obama should do something presidential during his reign!
    Now there's something novel!

April 26, 2010 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  4. phillip Marlowe

Obama is such a diehard Sox fan on national TV he could not name one, is that worse than Pailin unable to mention a magazine she reads? But hey, I will go easy as I am a Yankee fan and we saluted them. Nice job, Prez.

April 26, 2010 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. Willy Brown

This guy is a national joke

April 26, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. usualone

For years and years Presidents have greeted winning teams. Even in this piece, we have to see the ugly heads roar. If they are that sensitive about the President and sports, I cannot imagine how uncaring they must be to their own families and friends. What a bunch of sickos.

April 26, 2010 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  7. Dan

Governing is the continuation of campaigning by other means!

April 26, 2010 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. It's not about him

No Mr. President you may not take the trophy home.

April 26, 2010 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Mike

This President is a disaster.

April 26, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  10. Milton

As a Dodger fan, I have grown up despising the Yankees. They have been the thorn in the Dodgers side throughout their history. With that said, after seeing the video of this ceremony and the ring ceremony and how they treated Hideki Matsui, now with the Angels, I must say that I respect them much more than I did before. I absolutely LOVED the cWH ceremony with the Lakers though!
    What I love about these ceremonies is that you can tell President Obama is a fan of sports in general. He doesn't study talking points about the game so it sounds like he knows what he's talking about, he actually knows the ins and outs of the game. Wonderful President, this Barack Obama...

April 26, 2010 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  11. Limbaugh is a liberal

Republican response: 'Obama is coddling terrorists again! Now he has invited people who bombed the Bronx into the white house!'

April 26, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. Dave

Mr Obama,
    Please get back to work and stop being a White House tour guide. Although I didn't vote for you, I still expect you to earn your pay while you serve your term as president. Please prove me wrong when I say you are not the right person for the job.

April 26, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  13. Karen

His beloved White Sox not one of which he could name when called on :)

Love those Yankees!!!!!

April 26, 2010 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  14. dgwilson429

wasting more fuel.
    who are those female yankees in the photo?

did OBama know the names of any yankee players.
    he doesn't know the names of any white sox player.

OBama doesn't know anything about baseball.
    that should make it 1,000 things that he knows nothing about.
    who cleans him? Rahm or Dave?

April 26, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |