April 29th, 2010

Iowa English teacher named U.S. Teacher of the Year

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama named a Johnston, Iowa, English teacher as the U.S. Teacher of the Year on Thursday during a White House ceremony.

Sarah Brown Wessling of Johnston High School received the award for her commitment and excellence in inspiring students to learn and grow, Obama said.

He quoted a student who said there was "no discussion fruitless, no assignment pointless and not one day was boring" in Wessling's class.

"I'm not sure I could have said that when I was in school," Obama said.

Wessling has taught for 10 years at Johnston High School, where she is chairperson of the English Department.

"When I look in a classroom, I see a story in every learner, unique and yearning to be read," Wessling wrote in her application. "Creating a community for learning means creating more than a classroom, it means constantly intertwining our stories in a way that reveals our potential."

Filed under: Education • President Obama
  1. Steph

Teachers are so important to our society. I'm glad we continue to honor great teachers in this way! Congratulations Ms. Wessling!

April 29, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Odalice feliz

That's swell!!!!!

April 29, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  3. Video Guy

Wonderful another good classroom teacher lost. She will do a tour, write a book, maybe start her own school, and not see a classroom again.

April 29, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. Odalice feliz

I believe is a good thing to appreciate those teachers who take there time to show students how to read and write!!!!!

April 29, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Thank God for our great teachers, we need more.

April 29, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. AM

I was a student of Ms. Wessling's 5 years ago and to this day I can still remember most of everything she taught me – which is more than I can say for any of my other HS teachers. She is truly deserving of this award. Congrats!

April 29, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |