April 29th, 2010

Rielle Hunter reveals new details

Rielle Hunter told Oprah Thursday that she was helping John Edwards find his 'authentic self.'

(CNN) – Despite many people telling her it wasn’t the best idea to sit down with Oprah Winfrey for an interview, Rielle Hunter – politician John Edwards' mistress – decided to do it anyway.

"I feel in my heart it’s the right thing to do," Hunter said Thursday, especially now that "Johnny," as she calls him, has admitted paternity of their daughter, Frances Quinn.

Hunter said she wanted to set the facts straight about who she is, and that while she understands the judgment that has been heaped upon her, she doesn’t see herself as a home wrecker or gold digger, she told Winfrey.

Read the full story on the CNN Marquee Blog

Filed under: John Edwards • Rielle Hunter
  1. Peggy - TX

How terribly unfair for Rielle Hunter to be viewed as home wrecker or gold digger.

It is just that in this society many people think that it is best when children are born into a home with two parents focused on raising a family together and we frown on single mothers who irresponsibly have unplanned pregnancies as it does make raising a child more difficult and all to often we see irresponsible single women doing an inadequate job of it.

We also like to see families with children stay together and for a female or male for that matter to actively destabilize another’s family is considered really bad behavior that is frankly indefensible, regardless of the situation.

The more we get to know these women, the less appealing she is. Why is she hitting the air ways, is she trying to sell a book or something.

April 29, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. once upon a horse

for some reason everytime I see this woman the "B-word" comes to mind and I don't mean babe either.

April 29, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. dora

Oh please, "real self"??? I was a bigtime Edwards supporter in '08, I would've been a happy bigtime supporter of Kucinich, but the media decided I had to choose from Clinton or Obama. But I digress.
    Ms.Hunter and Mr. Edwards need to go away, we don't need any sordid details. This is gossip, it is at best, fodder for the entertainment section. Please stop giving these people the attention they crave.

April 29, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Dixie

I have always considered Edwards as the "used car salesman" of politics ( I apologize to all used car salespersons who may read this). He could have said no. And she - not a home wrecker? By her own account, she came on to him. I suppose she was unaware he was married.

April 29, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. MAD 'MAX' TEXAN

eason this is news is that the DEMOCRATS just love IMMORAL undertakings. SOMEONE NEEDS TO HELP THEM FOR I KNOW GOD WON'T. lET'S JUST HOPE HE'LL HELP US THE TRUE AMERICANS OF THE TEA PARTY.

April 29, 2010 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. g ontario

who cares

April 29, 2010 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Why are we hearing about this? This is foolishness. There is no longer a point to hear that Rielle Hunter "helped" John Edwards do whatever.

April 29, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  8. IVOTE

Hunter is heartless.

April 29, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. 52 Pick-up

she's a tramp is what she is–color it any way you want.

April 29, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. T'SAH from Virginia

"...she understands the judgment that has been heaped upon her, she doesn’t see herself as a home wrecker or gold digger..."

You are a HOME WRECKER and a GOLD DIGGER!! Only thing, there's not going to be much GOLD left coming from an unemployed politician with an ex-wife w/kids!!!

April 29, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  11. Holding Up A Mirror

Hunter is kind of like those Wall Street Bankers ... she doesn't realize that she should be ashamed of her behavior.

Society as a whole may be more accepting of affairs with married men much the way we have accepted brokers making money for trading contrived financial instruments.

That Ms. Hunter bedded the husband of a woman with cancer is akin to Goldman Sachs making money based on people loosing their homes.

Ms. Hunter having a child from the affair is akin to banks or AIG receiving tax money and then paying 7- figure bonuses.

Going on Oprah and claiming to be "victim' is like the Wall Street Bankers going before Congress and saying they served their clients well.

April 29, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  12. American Patriot -- a "real" tea partier

There's really no difference in how pathetic each person is - someone who is married and steps out on their spouse to fool around with someone else and the person who knowingly "dates" a married individual. Both share the same fault.

If someone is married and cheats, then why is that person married? Why not be single? If someone "dates" a married individual, they have no one to blame but themselves when society's derision falls on them.

Hunter and Edwards aren't victims here. They're the perpetrators.

April 29, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  13. Content Too Bee

Oh NOW she has a feeling of the right thing to do. I for one will not be watching this Oprah show. I'd rather watch a show with Elizabeth Edwards than this two bit bimbo.

April 29, 2010 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. bailoutsos

I think there are enough mistresses in the news now that someone should produce a reality show with all of them.

April 29, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  15. crooked politics

" I don t see myself as a home wrecker, or a gold digger."

maybe she should take off the blinders the next time she sees herself.

April 29, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  16. Dano

So Ms Hunter doesn’t see herself as a home wrecker or gold digger? The "other woman" never does. So what exactly does she see herself as? Most people can feel a strong attraction to another person(s) without having sex with all of them. Not acting on our every impulse is supposedly what makes us different from animals.

April 29, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  17. witch56

What planet is this woman from? I am thinking that she has no shame or morals for that matter, nor does he. She knew he was married he knew he was married. Finnish one before you start another. Karma will get you and shame on both of you.

April 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. JonDie

Who cares what this bimbo says?

April 29, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Hows that oil slick coming along drillers?

Maybe she agrees with Sarah Palin.Drill,baby drill?

April 29, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. What facts...?

John Edward a man without character and human dignity...the rest is
    ....well....!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....????

April 29, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. JudgeNot

"Don't you look at me so smug and say I'm going bad. Who are you to judge me and the life that I live? I know that I'm not perfect and I don't claim to be. So before you point your fingers, be sure your hands are clean. Judge not before you judge yourself. Judge not if you're not ready for judgment. The road of life is rocking and you may stumble too. so while you talk about me, someone else is judging you".
    – Bob Marley Lyric from the titled song "Judge Not"

April 29, 2010 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Mike

This has happened since the time our ancestors were single celled.. Human beeings just cannot avoid the basic instinct

April 29, 2010 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Wilson in FL

She probably needs the money. She kind of skanky, if I was rich and famous I would get someone younger and hotter. These politicians are stupid.

April 29, 2010 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. Luna

Of course se is a gold digger, but Edwards is much worse than she is. God knows how much Elizabeth sacrificed for him ( including her health), just to be completely humiliated later in life.

April 29, 2010 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. Irkie

I think Rielle Hunter has opened her mouth enough. I think now it's time to keep it shut, keep away from married men, stop posing in just a shirt surrounded by stuffed animals, and start working an honest living and caring for her baby, who is just an innocent victim in all this sleaze.

April 29, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |